Imp National 2019

Post by Dave Dickinson » Thu May 16, 2019 9:31 am

Imp National 2019

Dates : Thursday 1st August to Monday 5th August
Venue: Preston Grasshoppers Rugby Club
Address: Lightfoot Green Lane, Fulwood, Preston, Lancashire, PR4 0AP

This is a new up to date thread for National 2019
Updates will be added by the organising team in the run up to the event
Please see also information on our website: https://www.theimpclub.co.uk/imp-2019/ and in forthcoming issues of Impressions
Dave Dickinson
keanej
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super

Re: Imp National 2019

Post by keanej » Thu May 16, 2019 3:54 pm

Format of this year follows the approach of previous events

Wednesday - Organisers onsite setting up
Thursday arrive after midday and pitch your tent, catch up with fellow Impers over a beer or two, maybe three.......
Friday
~ A Run out over the moors to Winterhill and lunchstop at Rivington, meandering back through the Lancashire Plain with shortcuts home for those who have had a long drive to get here already
~ Evening entertainment in the main bar room will be a northern soul & 70/80's disco and for those who want to natter the adjacent marquee provides a quieter space
Saturday
~ A fantastic run prepared by Mike Dent (Moose) and Kev Howarth comes with full rally type route instructions which will lead us through the Forest of Bowland on interesting roads with outstanding scenary
~ The evening entertain is still in the planning stage with the main theme being a Pendle Witch fancy dress competition
Sunday
~ Show and shine, with BBQ, Ice Cream Van and of course the bar will be open all day
~ A short run out is planned in the early evening along the Fylde coast road and along the Promenade at Blackpool before returning to the rugby club for food
~ The traditional Sunday evening quiz
Monday
~ Packup and cleanup

Excellent selection of Beer and Food supplied from the Rugby club house, a Thwaites sponsored bar with a good selection of guest beers and ciders

The rugby club have a large kitchen onsite with fulltime kitchen staff who will be providing Breakfasts and Evening meals throughout the weekend

PS for those that enjoy the hustle and bustle of Imp 2019 and want to assist we welcome volunteers, you even get to stay an extra night on the Wednesday if you help marking out
Last edited by keanej on Thu May 16, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Rover P4 + P6
Imp Super
Saab 99L
Sandbach, Cheshire
keanej
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super

Post by keanej » Thu May 16, 2019 4:27 pm

The site

The site is smaller than we have been used to over the last two years, however the team ( Gary Matthews that is ) has done detailed space planning and we can accomodate everyone, and more, without too much trouble.

To make best use of the space It will need to be a little more organised, so there will be multiple blocks of the field / camping areas marked out with a one way road system running between the camping areas that will need to be kept clear.

Because we are more compact we'll need to ensure fire gaps exist between tents - a minimum of 3, but upto - 6 metres.

I'm reasonably confident that there is space for Area Gazeebos, but not if all 45 areas bring a 20m*20m marquee ! in the coming weeks we will be asking Area Centres to indicate their preference and we will make reasonable endeavours to accomodate by allocating areas of the field for each centre that requests space - if that is what people want to do.

There will ofcourse be pitch where you want to space as well.

Don't reply here with Area Centre needs we'll do a separate thread for that in a few weeks

Caravans and Motorhomes also welcome, there won't be hookups unless there are specific medical needs for that.

For those that don't do camping anymore there are budget and 4* hotels nearby.
John
Rover P4 + P6
Imp Super
Saab 99L
Sandbach, Cheshire
bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Post by bks974c » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:11 pm

That's me booked, heading down on the Tuesday to do a track day on the Wednesday at Oulton Park before heading to Preston.

Scott
Dom
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto

Post by Dom » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:25 pm

Question, is it communal showering only? :?
Dom Smith
69 Sunbeam Stiletto XPA175G
phatbob
Car Model: Hillman Super Imp.

Post by phatbob » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:14 am

Dom wrote:Question, is it communal showering only? :?
No. Does the impressions article not make things clear?
The communal gents showers are available of course, in addition to a couple of blocks of individual showers for ladies and gents that we're hiring in.
There are also the referees showers which are private and also accessible to those with any mobility issues as they are dead flat. Also suitable for family groups with small kids etc. as they have their own changing room.

Likewise, there will be extra pukka bogs outside, in addition to the permanent ones in the club house. Plus the usual sprinkling of "Turdis" portalloos around the camping area to avoid any need for long walks to the loo in the night. :wink:
Astronomy is looking up!
The Nun
Car Model: Imp x 2

Post by The Nun » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:22 pm

A sprinkling of turdis around the camping area sounds a little off putting :shock: :?
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 72 Deluxe

Post by bazzateer » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:01 pm

The Nun wrote:A sprinkling of turdis around the camping area sounds a little off putting :shock: :?
They are bigger on the inside if that helps?
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
Website Editor
Car Model: Singer Chamois Coupe

Post by Website Editor » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:35 am

Advance Booking for Imp 2019 closes today!
Book now to avoid paying increased charges at the event

https://www.theimpclub.co.uk/advance-booking/

Imp023
Lynda
Lynda Dickinson (Website Editor)
Terrierist
Club Member: No
Car Model: Organising Imp 2019 Run with Mike Dent

Post by Terrierist » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:41 am

Hello folks. Myself and Mike Dent have been busy producing the Saturday run for Imp National 2019. We thought it might be a good thing to pass on the way the route is et out for you, see below. Any questions, please ask.

Driver and Navigator Notes – The Bowland Belt

The route book is set out in tulip navigation, this comes from the famous Tulpen Rallye (Tulip Rally) of the 1950’s and is still used today by allmanner of rallies and tours. They are called tulips as in some instances, they resemble that famous flower, quite simply, the ball is where you are, and the arrow is where you need to go. Let’s take a look at one of the lines from the route book and break it down for you.

1: This is the mileage you will find the instruction at, it is the mileage
since you left the start.
2: Distance to the next instruction, in this instance you have 1.12 miles
before the next piece of information.
3: The tulip. You are at the ball and you need to follow the arrow, in this
instance the tulip is asking you to keep left, ignoring a road to the right.
4: Text instruction to complement the tulip.
5: Distance left to the end of the section.
You will notice that there is an abbreviation in 4, SP this means Sign
Post, below is a list of abbreviations and their meaning.
SP - Sign Post
SGW – Stop and Give Way
TL – Turn Left
KL – Keep left
TR – Turn Right
KR – Keep Right
90 R – 90 degree right
Some of the instructions come very close together, always make sure you are aware of how far the next instruction is away or you will miss a turn. If you do miss a turn, retrace your steps to the last instruction and reset your trip meter or app. There are trip meter apps available for iOS and Android.

OK, all else has failed, you've stopped to take a photo or were taken aback by the wonderful scenery and have misplaced yourself on the route. We've all been there and it is frustrating, but don't worry too much.
Here are some main rejoin points to allow you to get back in the action and still sample the route. Pop these into a sat nav or navigation App to help you find your way, please note, the route is very rural in places so cellular signal is NOT guaranteed. You may well be advised to put these in before setting off.

Start and Finish, Preston Grasshoppers - PR4 0AP
Inn at Whitewell (leg 1, Page 4, line 4) - BB7 3AT
Puddleducks Cafe (End leg 1) - BB7 3BB
The Fleece, Dolphinholme (End leg 2) - LA2 9AQ

All the above have great facilities, the Inn at Whitewell's food is truly excellent, but you will pay a premium or wait a little while. Puddleduck's is brilliant, their cake is second to none and they offer hot and cold food which is brilliant value for money. WC's are in a public car park a short walk away. The Fleece at Dolphinholme. Food, excellent, cask ales - even better! This is Mike's Dent's local and is where the route you are on was conceived.
Peter Hurst
Car Model: singer chamois

Post by Peter Hurst » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:21 am

Terrierist wrote: Image

2: Distance to the next instruction, in this instance you have 1.12 miles
before the next piece of information.
It may look daunting but surprising simple once you get hang of it, but a lot of effort for the organisers
I prepare similar for Scenic Tour down in Wales so I know how long it can take
One thing ,on column 2, the inter mileage, it would normally be the mileage of that junction FROM the previous junction in all the rally road books I know.
Perhaps you do it differently up north
imporium
Car Model: Hillman Husky Singer Chamois Commer Imp Van

Post by imporium » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:55 am

Unable to reply to most email's etc now until Monday August 12th Van001 Husky003 Imp006 Imp009
" Keeping the Imp Alive & Kicking & Imp Club Parts support with discounted Parts Supply"
http://www.malcolmanderson.co.uk
mikeyhearne
Car Model: B.S. Nymph

Post by mikeyhearne » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:51 am

with all the rain , bad weather and flooding has the national site survived ?
Mikey
nothing is IMPossible with the right attitude and a BIG hammer
phatbob

Post by phatbob » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:02 am

mikeyhearne wrote:with all the rain , bad weather and flooding has the national site survived ?
Mikey
Don't be silly Mikey. It's a properly drained sports field. It's all fine. 8)
Astronomy is looking up!
mikeyhearne
Car Model: B.S. Nymph

Post by mikeyhearne » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:04 am

ok . I was just asking .
even a properly drained sports field wouldn't cope with a burst river .
Cheers Mikey
nothing is IMPossible with the right attitude and a BIG hammer
npn4875
Car Model: Singer Chamois Sport

Post by npn4875 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:20 pm

Could anyone take a set of 12"Cosmics down to Devon after the event, for Marty?!? :? :wink: :D
70 Chamois Sport
64 MkI
FHV888D
Club Member: No
Car Model: Singer chamois

Post by FHV888D » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:15 am

Can I just confirm a couple of things. I will be coming up Friday evening. I want to stay in a b n b Friday and sat night. Can I pay on Friday and come for the entertainment, leave for the b n b and come back Saturday. Can I tag on to the drive on Saturday in a modern car and come back to the venue. Leave at night then come back for Sunday's show and shine. Basically can I pay for the weekend but be able to come and go as I need. Our first national and don't know what to expect.
Thanks
Zak
phatbob

Post by phatbob » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:18 am

FHV888D wrote:Can I just confirm a couple of things. I will be coming up Friday evening. I want to stay in a b n b Friday and sat night. Can I pay on Friday and come for the entertainment, leave for the b n b and come back Saturday. Can I tag on to the drive on Saturday in a modern car and come back to the venue. Leave at night then come back for Sunday's show and shine. Basically can I pay for the weekend but be able to come and go as I need. Our first national and don't know what to expect.
Thanks
Zak
No problem. So long as you're wearing your wrist-bands, you can come and go as and when you wish.
See you Friday. :)
Astronomy is looking up!
phatbob

Post by phatbob » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:21 am

mikeyhearne wrote:ok . I was just asking .
even a properly drained sports field wouldn't cope with a burst river .
Cheers Mikey
Good point well made mate. I can confirm that the site is fine. See you later.
Astronomy is looking up!
jetmech
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by jetmech » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:29 pm

Another great national, well done to everyone involved, including the friendly staff at the Preston Grasshoppers.
Back home in 5 1/2 hours, not helped by the grid lock in Preston this morning, because of the M6 closure.

Simon Imp004
bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Post by bks974c » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:30 pm

Home and unpacked, timed it nicely as missed the hold ups and had a great run home, easy one this year at 3 & 1/2 hours, make up for it next year.

Big thanks to everyone involved, I found it a particularly enjoyable, can't put my finger on why, just was.

Expecting a wet weekend but it was anything but, great weather and I remembered to put the sun cream on before getting burnt :oops: Rain we did get was at the least disrupting time :D

Facilities were great, I used the Clubs showers and toilets, so no idea about the ones brought on site - worked for me and more often than not I had all the showers to myself.

Food was good and incredibly cheap and they stayed open late on Sunday so those returning from the run could get food - well done.

So thanks again for a great event and as always great company, coming second in the quiz was a surprise and bonus.

Scott
617sqn
Car Model: Hillman Imp 1972

Post by 617sqn » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:50 pm

Yep, I fully endorse Scott's findings. I used the replacements as far as showers go, and they were perfectly adequate. No complaints. I must be getting old because I found the band on Saturday to be too loud, so much so I couldn't remain in the club house. Shame, as they were very accomplished. Nice to meet old friends again, and put faces to names I've known for a long time. Moose and Scott among them. Lovely fellas :D The SAC had a run-in
with ganderson, of course :lol: he's a boy ! And what about the missing jam tarts ? :shock:

Thanks to all of those involved. Had a fab time. Cheers

Andy G
Member No. 7500, and proud of it !
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:43 pm

Big thanks to all involved in national , a great relaxed weekend and the weather was spot on also big thanks to the sussex area for adopting me ,my dad and steve and making sure we had a lovely breakfast every day

col
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 72 Deluxe

Post by bazzateer » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:20 pm

Another great National, as always over all too soon.
Huge Kudos to the organisers for making sure the weather stayed perfect until late Sunday afternoon.
Thoroughly enjoyed the Sunday night quiz as part of the Dutch team.
Moose's run on Saturday was simply brilliant, never had so much fun in the Chamois.
The layout of the camping worked well with no apparent issues with cramped pitches etc.
Some amazing cars, great people and plenty of laughs.

Well done all!
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
eebiegeebie
Car Model: Singer Chamois Sport

Post by eebiegeebie » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:37 pm

A big thanks from us to all the organisers and helpers. We really enjoyed it. Well done! :D
John Hall
RoyBlunt
Car Model: 1966 Hillman Super Imp, 1981 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post by RoyBlunt » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:03 pm

Another excellent weekend. Thanks to the organisers, the rugby club staff, and to all for your company & conversation.
Here's to next year's National - but we've still got the Wicked Welsh Weekend, Ecosse, Going Dutch, and (hopefully) another Full English Weekend to enjoy before that!
Dawn and Roy & Suzy Imp011
Jim 'Saltire' Fraser
Car Model: '67 Singer Chamois Coupe

Post by Jim 'Saltire' Fraser » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:17 am

I'd just like to echo the sentiments above, I had a great relaxed national and a big thank you to everyone involved. It was good to catch up with everyone again and the Saltire coupe never missed a beat all weekend :D

Cheers Jim
If it ain't broke, you've not fiddled with it hard enough!!!
smogland imper
Car Model: MKII SINGER CHAMOIS - FRED

Post by smogland imper » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:29 am

Just to echo what everyone has said

Many thanks to Richard, Bob , Kimberley & Robin , the rugby club staff and everyone else involved in organising a genuinely great national, Julie and I had a lovely relaxed weekend, meeting up with great friends, excellent well run site, the food was spot on and incredibly good value and the weather nearly held out

Well done everyone, roll on Alton next year

Alan, Julie & Fred
PGR309N IMP DELUXE
LCU390P IMP CALEDONIAN.
MXG974L MODIFIED IMP DELUXE
NAE804F SINGER CHAMOIS SPORT
FFR924D MKII SINGER CHAMOIS FRED.
philgsmith
Car Model: Imp - deluxe, BMW320d Touring, MGF, MGTF

Post by philgsmith » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:09 pm

We had a great time despite Hilda's maladies - which continued on Monday. She was fine on the runs, it seems she just doesn't like driving to and from National ! Monday morning revealed oily water in the header tank, so another job to be done. The new fuel pump worked well on the Saturday and Sunday runs. We broke our home run into 2 and arrived home today just after lunch - Hilda running all the way home without further bother, but the water is more oily.

The venue was great - we thought the pitch layout worked well - just wish we could have had the show and shine on the main rugby pitch !!..

Many thanks to Richard and his team for an excellent weekend. We thought the rugby club, the showers and toilets were excellent - not sure how everyone managed with just 4 showers though. Having our caravan helped us. Although the grass was long and wet at times, the ground was pretty firm and held up well.

Also, very big thanks to Drew and Andy for helping me recover Lesley and Hilda from Runcorn on Thursday (what a laugh that was), Pete Fitzgerald for lending us his trailer, and Roy and Dawn for helping and sticking with us during 2 breakdowns/stoppages on Thursday.

Despite our problems, we had a great time at Preston. Looking forward to Wicked Welsh with a list of jobs to do beforehand.

Phil & Lesley
When you're in a hole - stop digging/too much to do, too little time
moose
Car Model: rally imp

Post by moose » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:23 am

Myself and Kev played a small part in the National by organising the run on Saturday, thanks for all the kind comments i recieved on the Sunday i passed them onto Kev also. Well done to the actual National team for planning and running the event they did all the real graft.

We did write the road book on the first drive, then Kev and i re-drove the route to make sure it was accurate and detailed enough, The Kev was driven round by his wife who has never used tulips before and she got round with no trip and no mistakes. Then on the morning Kev and i got to the club and set off to make sure there were no roads blocked or diversions in place we completed the route sub 2 hours averaging 37 mph approx. I think we got round just in time before any of you set off.

Thanks again Mike and Kev.
Regards Moose
Century Autosport
RGWM
Car Model: Singer Chamois, Hillman Husky

Post by RGWM » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:54 pm

You did a great job, Mike and Kev - as you say lots of complimentary remarks about the Saturday run - I'm looking forward to having a run around it myself some time ;)

If anyone who wasn't able to make the trip wants a copy of the "Roadbook of Scenic Runs" incorporating Mike's run, we have a few spare copies which I'm happy to supply for the cost of post and packing. Ditto with samples of the event rally plaque and programme. Just PM me and I'll get it sorted.

Richard
Richard Murtha, Pennine Area Centre Organiser - Husky to be restored!
MattorMatty
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super & Singer Chamois Sport

Post by MattorMatty » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:02 am

I've just got round in sorting out my photos from National. Most were taken on my old 110 film camera.

ImageImp National by Matty Way, on Flickr

Ive got some more on Flickr page.
Matt
Imp007 Imp009
Matt Way
EXF 517H - Super
GNO 114H - Sport