Beaulieu Spring Autojumble '18 - this weekend

News /Chat about forthcoming Imp Club events and other non Club events
Cali Simon
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Hillman Imp Californian

Beaulieu Spring Autojumble '18 - this weekend

Post by Cali Simon » Wed May 16, 2018 9:37 pm

Hi all, Newbie here, so no idea how well used the forum is nowadays. Are there any Imp people going to the Beaulieu auto jumble this weekend? I am thinking of popping over on Sunday...is it worth going? I've bought a 'barn find' (well, it was in a field actually) Californian for total rebuild...probably needs everything replacing/refurbishing so was going to go take a look at Beaulieu. I'd like to get some wheels (not yet sure on Minilites or Dunlops v's refurbing originals) and I'm very keen to get some bumpers. I'm down in Gosport, Hampshire if anyone cares to share any Imp knowledge (tomorrow I'm pulling out the engine and transmission - need to have it stripped bare in 4 weeks, I have a slot booked in June for the body to be sandblasted before repair and eventually paint). Cheers, Simon... Imp028
oli
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super Safari Beige 1972

Re: Beaulieu Spring Autojumble '18 - this weekend

Post by oli » Thu May 17, 2018 6:17 am

Welcome to the club Simon. Personally I wouldn't have the shell sandblasted. It opens up the skin of the metal to corrode faster - especially any areas that you are not working on, and it will also work against you when it comes to painting it. Better to just leave whatever paint there is on it and then deal with bar coating over it or removing it when it gets to the paintshop.

Just my 2ps worth.

Oli
Cali Simon
Car Model: Hillman Imp Californian

Re: Beaulieu Spring Autojumble '18 - this weekend

Post by Cali Simon » Thu May 17, 2018 9:45 am

Thanks Oli, appreciate the advice. I am no expert on paint/metal, so therefore am clutching at straws as to what the right thing would be to do. The blasting shop did mention getting it zinc painted at the same time to protect the metal. Basically, once I've got it down to a shell I just want to get the metalwork as close to factory fresh as possible before painting and building it up again. Someone else mentioned acid or alkaline dipping. Any thoughts from anyone?