IMP NATIONAL 2017 ROLVENDEN

Dogsbody
Club Member: No
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto

Re: IMP NATIONAL 2017 ROLVENDEN

Post by Dogsbody »

Colin Foster (heaps) wrote:Graham, yes please try and make it even in a modern it will still be fun. I don't know the route of the run but knowing the parties organising it i'm positive it will be interesting.
The Sunday pm run should be good as well and I might even be able to sneak off site to go there myself
Colin
I will try and get down Friday and Saturday, Colin. I'm working that weekend...
There's a few old friends I want to catch up with a haven't seen for a long time...I keep in contact on Facebook, but haven't seen some for years.
I was chatting to one earlier, he arranged the sale to a mate of the Stiletto which I now own.

The yard by his workshop at Hamstreet.

As a side note...I moved to Tenterden area when I was 10. Before that more your way, Colin...
That old breakers yard still near Ruxley Manor roundabout ? Used to have a orange car on a post in the middle of it.
70 Sunbeam Stiletto (again)125bhp Kawasaki Ninja power.
00 Ford Racing Puma (by Tickford) with 40 bhp of Nitrous Oxide.
81 Matra Murena 2.2
Grahame59
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super

Post by Grahame59 »

Huge thanks to Colin, Gill and all the organising team for a fabulous National. A National organiser's task, while never thankless, is often beset with behind-the-scenes problems and hassles and I know this one was no exception so heartfelt appreciation to you all.

As Simon has already said, too many people to talk to and not enough time. It was great to meet up with Brian Baylis and his wife Cheryl again. My partner Angela, being a Kiwi, had been very keen to meet them. For me, it was great to meet up with Davrian owner John Daniels who I had not seen since 1981 when he welded the rear turrets and rear floor to get my '73 Super to get it through its MoT! The car was only eight years old which says a lot about later Imps' build quality or lack of!

My favourite car? Always a tricky one. Andrew Webb's gorgeous fastback Rapier was the car I would have most liked to drive home while, of the Imps, the stunning AA Imp Van stood out as being, well, stunning!

We appreciated having a wide choice of runs that could be done in our own time as an alternative to convoy runs. Convoys are spectacular of course but, from talking to other members, can sometimes be a bit stressful due to the speed being a tad higher than some participants feel comfortable with. Personally, I'm fine with convoys but it was nice to choose our own day and time to do a run so Angela and I enjoyed a pleasant drive to the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway on the Saturday and boarded an open-sided carriage in scorching sunshine. No sooner had the train left Dungeness station the heavens opened to the accompaniment of strong winds! We passed our little dog, Brody, back and forth to each other as he made a great hot water bottle! Incidentally, this was Brody's first visit to a National and he loved meeting everyone!
Brody.png
Rapier_and_Vogue.jpg
Andrew Webb's gorgeous Rapier and Baz's time warp Vogue. Beautiful cars, both.

Imp011
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grahame Pearson
Member No. 23
Editor, Impressions

1967 Imp Super
(0-60 like a Porsche, only slower)
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane »

Great weekend with great weather , thanks to all involved in sorting it out and organising it .
Still stunned the Vusky got a 1st in the Van and Husky class especially given the quality of them all - esp. the AA van .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Formally known as " Noddy "
MattorMatty
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super & Singer Chamois Sport

Post by MattorMatty »

Just like to add my thanks to the organisers and volunteers for this years National, enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere and the autotest was great to watch. And to top it off the Imp ran faultlessly and even achieved a 2nd in the Young Member class which was a surprise, (thanks to everyone who voted for it :) ) Here's a couple of photos with more on Flickr

Matt

Matt Way
EXF 517H - Super
GNO 114H - Sport
Woodstock
Car Model: Hillman Imp

Post by Woodstock »

A slightly late request, but does anyone have some pictures of the line up of fancy dress in the marquee?
In particular looking for one of dad taking his lap of honor in the marquee in his "Purple Plain (plane!) mobility chair :!:
I seem to remember someone taking pictures at the time.
Cheers
Graham
Graham Cashmore
Heathrow ACO
Yes, I have still got my red Stiletto
No, I haven't finished it yet
July 2014: It's MOT'd, Taxed & Insured!