Australian Linwood Imp event - Nov 2-5 2013

johnh875
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: 64 Grp N race car, 66 Mk2, 68 Super

Australian Linwood Imp event - Nov 2-5 2013

Post by johnh875 »

As there is now some information on the web to refer to, I thought it would be timely to post here to advise any Imp enthusiasts who might like to attend that there is an event organised in Australia to mark the Imp's 50th anniversary.

Those of us who cannot make it to the home of the Imp at Linwood, Scotland, will be doing the next best thing – visiting Linwood in South Australia, which is approx 75km north of Adelaide or 25km north-west of the Barossa Valley wine region. There is not a lot at Linwood however, not even a local fire brigade, so we may actually have to take our own sign for photography purposes! The point of this event however is not about the destination, rather it is getting Imp enthusiasts together as there has never really been a national Imp event in Australia before that I am aware of.

The event is being organised by the Rootes Group Car Club of Victoria, and will be based in Hahndorf, to the south in the Adelaide Hills. Accommodation is at the Hahndorf Motor Lodge. The plan is to travel to Hahndorf on the Saturday Nov 2, a day trip to Linwood on Sunday, stopping at Freeling for lunch, and a celebratory dinner back at Hahndorf. On Monday we will visit the Birdwood National Motor Museum, before driving home on Tuesday Nov 5.

For more information contact rootesgroupcarclub@bigpond.com

Or refer to the events page on the club’s web page is http://www.vic.rootesgroup.org.au/coming_events.html

As a teaser, here is a shot from the recent RACV Classic Showcase at Flemington Racecourse, where we had 5 Imps in attendance including 2 Mk1's, a GT, a van and a racing Imp.

CS13 Imps
Imping (on & off) for 20+ years
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Re: Australian Linwood Imp event - Nov 2-5 2013

Post by ImpManiac »

What a fabulous idea for an event! 8)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
imp.sport
Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Sport (Marv)

Post by imp.sport »

Its a great idea.
You could follow it up by having another trip to Perth Australia in August.
Or might that be a bit too much to ask.. :?
johnh875

Post by johnh875 »

Well in light of the JoLon trip it is a trifle! But it is 1600+ miles one way from Linwood to Perth/ that is, South Australia to Western Australia across the Nullarbor Plain. So that would be 3 long days each way as a minimum, and would test out how much time people could organise.

Nullarbor means no trees, Edward John Eyre described the Plain as "a hideous anomaly, a blot on the face of Nature, the sort of place one gets into in bad dreams", when he became the first European to successfully make the crossing (which took four months) in 1841. (Roy's travelogue pieces in the JoLon posts have inspired me a bit!) Sounds delightful, doesn't it?

Mind you these days with a good sealed road the main obstacle is your own car making the trip, which could be quite hot or quite cold, especially at night, depending on the time of year. There are even fuel supplies available no more than 120 miles apart - in north Queensland earlier this year heading further west than the last town I visited it was 350 miles to the next fuel, so woe betide anyone who ventures out without a full tank. Probably best not to think about how much you would pay when you got there either. One of our intrepid Impers, Matt Lambert, did the trip across to WA about 15 years ago in a Hunter estate.

9 years ago the national Hillman rally was held not far from Linwood at Nuriootpa in the famous Barossa Valley wine region, so the trip to Linwood is not unknown to many who will be attending. From Melbourne it will be a big effort to get there in a day, at nearly 500 miles - because unlike the UK motorways if you go much over the 65-70mph speed limits here the penalties kick in very early, going more than 5mph over is about as much as you could risk and the police have several ways to catch you including vehicle-mounted radars that can be used whilst driving, to detect the speed of oncoming traffic.

However, if people have time there are many possibilities to extend the trip slightly to take in a wide range of interesting country and sights along the way, whether it be travelling via the coast and the Great Ocean Road, or detouring slightly to places like Grampians or Mildura. This would be highly recommended, rather than just slogging up the highway. We shall see.
imp.sport
Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Sport (Marv)

Post by imp.sport »

I was only jesting about Perth. I am well aware of the vastness of Oz
Yet I do have relatives there and a vist is on my list of things to when I get the freedom of my life back.
I suppose meeting up with an Imp owner down under and getting a little ride in the passenger seat would be icing on the cake if I ever manage to get out there.
johnh875

Post by johnh875 »

That's fine, as i said I was inspired to, shall we say, expand on things by Roy's posts on the JoLon Imp

If your plans take you to Melbourne, let me know and I'm sure we will be able to organise something!
johnh875

Australian Linwood Imp event - Nov 2-5 - regalia now availab

Post by johnh875 »

Preparations for the event are moving ahead, people are actually coming, and it is not too late to join in the fun. Contact rootesgroup@bigpond.com for any queries, to book accommodation phone the Hahndorf Motor Lodge on (08) 8388 1000 (if overseas phone +61 8 8388 1000).

We have organised some regalia items, which we can send to overseas Impers if you would like some additional Imp content for your wardrobe or even another badge for you car - yes we are actually getting some car badges cast!

All T-shirts feature a full colour 90mm logo on the front left chest and a full colour 200mm logo on the rear. For information about t-shirt sizes, see http://www.ramocollection.com (T-shirt items T202HT, T626LD and T802HB).

Ladies white slim fit T-shirt (sizes 8 – 22) AUD$ 32
Ladies / Men’s white regular fit T-shirt (sizes XS – 3XL) AUD$ 32
Men’s white slim fit t-shirt (sizes XS – 3XL) AUD$ 32
Metal car badge – 80mm diameter AUD$ 30
Sticker AUD$ 3

The prices do not include postage, when you contact rootesgroup@bigpond.com the cost of postage can be worked out. We can investigate sending a consolidated parcel to the club if there is interest as it will add significantly to the cost of purchasing a single item otherwise.

The PilgrIMPage logo is shown below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnh875

Post by johnh875 »

We had a great day yesterday, the weather was not too hot (21) and we had 11 Imps and about 40 people at Linwood. There were 4 GT's including the second one built, a van and mark 1's, an Imp II and III plus Andy Bryson's tarmac rally Imp. Several more Imp owners who are still restoring cars etc and other Rootes people who were up for some fun came too. It was great to see the waves and smiles on people's faces everywhere we went.

We drove from the 'base' at historic Hahndorf through the Barossa Valley to Linwood which is literally a dot on the map for some group photos - no sign of an Imp factory unfortunately.

One car had a water pump fail but luckily another Imper had a reconditioned pump complete with fan and mounting arms at his nearby home, and it was soon fitted and made it to the meet. The bad luck was not finished though because after arriving and getting out of the car, shutting the door brought the sound of smashing glass - the lowered window!

Congratulations to all the participants who made it such a great weekend but thanks especially to Matt & Kristi Lambert who were the driving force behind this event and also Robert Cain who with a couple of others helped invaluably on the South Australian end.

I must personally thank Matt & Kristi who gave me a lot of help in getting my car running (I had to pull of out taking it because of overheating though) and Ken & Val who offered a drive of their immaculately restored Imp GT so I could arrive in an Imp (and van on Sunday) which as a real joy.

I think this has given the Imp movement a real impetus and hopefully we will see some more cars on the road over coming weeks, months and years.
johnh875

Post by johnh875 »

I forgot to say that while 11 may not sound many, it is the most Imps in one place for about 40 years, according to all present.

I will post some photos when I get home.

John
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

^^ It is great to hear that such a good time was had by all! 8) It sounds like a British-based Imp annual meet but in miniature: great camaraderie, inspiration and fabulous Imps! I am pretty sure that I am not the only one looking forward to the photos. :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 76 Datsun 260Z

Post by bazzateer »

ImpManiac wrote:It sounds like a British-based Imp annual meet but in miniature: great camaraderie, inspiration and fabulous Imps!
Don't forget the breakdowns!
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

^^ Indeed! Or "triumphs over adversity!" :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
johnh875

Post by johnh875 »

ImpManiac wrote:great camaraderie, inspiration and fabulous Imps!
That was most definitely the case Paul, some of the attendees were not part of the club scene but had a great time. We had some former Impers, as in 20 years ago, who are getting back into it as well as at least one guy who has been driving Imps since he learned how to almost 40 years ago!

I won't dwell too much on my issues as they were basically self-inflicted (not getting ready in time) but having avoided one potential show-stopper in getting the clutch unfrozen 2 nights before the start, the car had severe overheating from a presumed stuck thermostat - seeing a pattern here? I must also thank Murray & Jodie for coming to pick me up after I got the car back home, the trip was a lot more fun with you than it would have been on my own.

Sorry to keep everyone hanging, but I will have to post some photos tomorrow when I have re-sized them... Here is one to start with though of the cars at Linwood, nb before the last one turned up in case you are worrying why you have not run out of fingers counting them!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnh875

Post by johnh875 »

Ok here are a few more photos. The event was held last weekend because of the Melbourne Cup public holiday on Tuesday which meant that we could drive to South Australia on Saturday, have the main day at

Brian & Margaret's Imp resting beside its cousin after its 700km trip to Hahndorf
DSC_1540.JPG
Ready for the off on Sunday morning - 8 Imps at this point, one more joined us before we left
DSC_1550.JPG
The cars at Linwood (byo sign, although there was a hand-made sign further up the road)
DSC_1618.JPG
Non-Imp Rootes cars. The Super Snipe was the one that blew a head gasket on the way home, none of the Imps did! The Alpine and the Hunter Sports also came from Victoria while the Hillman Gazelle (the green one) is a local car and lead the way to Linwood.
DSC_1576.JPG
johnh875

Post by johnh875 »

Matt & Kristi's Mk1 and Ken & Val's GT
DSC_1573.JPG
Then we have Andy Bryson's Targa (tarmac rally) Imp and Robert & Lynda's GT
DSC_1579.JPG
Next is Allan & Barbara's GT (closest to camera with red flash) and Jeff's Imp III
DSC_1620.JPG
Brian & Margaret's Mk1, Jeff & Kerry's Mk1, Ken & Val's van, Ken's GT (different Ken this time!) - this is the second GT built
DSC_1574.JPG
johnh875

Post by johnh875 »

Michael & Clare's Imp II arriving after replacing the water pump
DSC_1628.JPG
Some of the Imps outside the Gungellan Hotel in Freeling, as featured in the tv show McLeod's Daughters, where we had lunch
DSC_1654.JPG
On Monday we went to the National Motor Museum at Birdwood. There was only one Rootes car there, a 1950 Hillman Minx that crossed the Nullarbor Plain from Adelaide to Perth and back when the road was still dirt and, as the accompanying photos showed, mud. There were a couple of other pre-Rootes cars, and if there is interest I can post a couple of photos of some of the more interesting Aussie machinery too. We were also given (brief) access to the research library as well as a talk from author Gavin Farmer who has written a book on the history of Chrysler Australia (amongst others).
DSC_1681.JPG
The driving force behind this event - Matt & Kristi Lambert (together with the well-traveled Rosemary Smith!)
DSC_1596.JPG
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Lovely photos, John! Thank you for sharing them. :mrgreen: I'd like to see the Aussie machinery too, please. :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
johnh875

Post by johnh875 »

Cheers Paul. I don't have any photos from the museum 'ready' - I was working on getting the car ready to take to the historic races this weekend at Sandown Park, however the pressure is off that now... I mentioned I couldn't take my car as it was overheating, we decided it must be a stuck thermostat that was causing it to get very hot on Saturday morning so I was ready to rip in and remove & test it. I thought I'd see if/how the car still ran first and while it fired up nicely I was rather dismayed to hear some not-so-nice knocking sounds coming from the water pump. I won't be able to get my hands on another for at least a few more days so that is that. Shows what happens when you leave things to the last minute really.
johnh875

Post by johnh875 »

Here are a few pictures from the National Motor Museum. First up are a couple of "Australia's Own" Holdens - the first 48/215 aka FX model and a 1963 EH which was the fastest selling Holden, I think something like 150,000 in 18 months.
DSC_1862.JPG
Next we have another famous Australian car - the ute. The Coupe Utility to use its full name was designed as a more stylish load carrier - as the lady who wrote the letter to Ford put it, a car that you could "take to church on Sunday and take the pigs to market on Monday". For context note that in that era the term Sunday Best meant something and you would not drive a dirty old Beverley Hillbillies truck to church! This one has been well used, but there were only 345 built in the first year apparently, and there was another one on display which was shiny but had been hot-rodded.
DSC_1961.JPG
Here are a Series 1 Land Rover, Nissan Patrol G60 and Toyota Landcruiser troop carrier. The Land Rover was used for the first ever crossing of Australia from the eastern-most Cape Byron to the western-most Steep Point across the centre of the country in 1966 by the Leyland Brothers who went on to have a long-running TV show. I'd estimate that only half the distance would have been on actual roads, mostly unsealed, with the rest being desert. In the corner is a Rolls Royce Phantom VI.
DSC_1726.JPG
Here we have some local Adelaide history - the Lightburn Zeta and Zeta Sports. These were made by a manufacturer of washing machines etc, had a tiny 2-stroke engine and the party trick of being able to remove the seats and put them on the roof to watch a football match or similar. Not many were made, they were not a very good car and only a fraction cheaper than a Mini etc. Our club member Brian actually drove the car on the right in the early 60's when he was at university with the guy who designed it.
DSC_1742.JPG
More to come later.
johnh875

Post by johnh875 »

How about a few from the old & unusual category?

This is the 1904 Ohlmeyer "Jigger", which has a 4.5hp single cyl engine, and is built almost completely of timber - no suspension, even the clutch disc is wooden. The really unusual part is the steering column has a uni joint and major driving controls mounted on it, so that in soft sand Mr Ohlmeyer could get out and walk alongside the car to help avoid getting bogged - the car itself can't weigh a lot more than a person.
DSC_1724.JPG
This is (or at least was) a 1952 Standard Vanguard van. In 1967 a young guy removed the rusty body and built his own in his parents back yard. He then drove it all over the place - Cairns, Alice Springs, Perth, Broken Hill and even the Birdsville Track - no small matter in a 2wd vehicle. He used it until 1991.
DSC_1762.JPG
This steam car was built by the Shearer brothers' company in Mannum, SA that normally built agricultural machinery over a 14 year period from 1885 to June 1899 - everything was made in-house including the boiler and engine. It could reach 24mph with its twin cylinder steam engine and had rack and pinion steering.
DSC_1896.JPG
This 1936 Leyland Badger truck is rather famous, as it was used for more than 20 years by Birdsville Track mailman Tom Kruse for a fortnightly 700-mile desert trip from Marree north of Port Augusta to Birdsville just over the Queensland border- unless there were flooded creeks or rain when the trip could take weeks. Tom Kruse and the Badger featured in a 1954 documentary "Back of Beyond" which was shown around the world. I have seen part of the film, and can remember seeing Tom driving the heavily-loaded truck in circles on what little firm ground was available to build up speed to attack a large sand dune. The truck had Thornycroft tandem axles from an older truck as they were a lot stronger and the four wheel drive has obvious advantages. Simply doing the trip when everything went right would be tough enough, but when it didn't it really doesn't bear thinking about.
DSC_1943.JPG
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

8) Wow! What interesting photographs and a superb write up, John! :D There are some unique and historically important vehicles amongst that lot and your detailed narrative really brought them to life. There are some incredible stories behind the vehicles, aren't there. Thank you very much for sharing them with us! :mrgreen:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
johnh875

Post by johnh875 »

Thanks Paul. I took a stack of photographs & will post some more soon as there were a few other 'highlight' vehicles I haven't mentioned yet.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

It'd be good to see whichever photos you decide to post, John. 8)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
johnh875

Post by johnh875 »

johnh875 wrote:Ok here are a few more photos. The event was held last weekend because of the Melbourne Cup public holiday on Tuesday which meant that we could drive to South Australia on Saturday, have the main day at
Oops, missed a bit there...

Main day at Linwood of course on the Sunday, take a day off on Monday and drive home on the public holiday Tuesday. Yes, a public holiday because of a horse race! Back to the real world on Wednesday of course...

Here are the Imps waiting at the last town before Linwood while an advance party made sure there was somewhere we could all park safely off the road - note Linwood is a 'locality' (aka dot-on-the-map) and not a town/village itself!
IMG_1702.JPG
Some more photos from 'the road to Linwood'
_JAL1637.JPG
_JAL1648.JPG
Imps parked at Freeling
DSC_1650.JPG
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

That really does look to have been quite a drive, John! :shock: The photos set the scene rather well. Thank you for sharing them. 8)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison