RACE RETRO 2013

News /Chat about forthcoming Imp Club events and other non Club events
ImpJimbo
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: BS Nymph and Singer Chamois Coupe.

Re: RACE RETRO 2013

Post by ImpJimbo » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:33 pm

As usual the Imp club had a great stand. Well done to all involved. Its great to have a hub for us Impers to gather at in between shopping, wandering and watching the rallying. All the cars looked great and having James Ibbotsons PCT car there, complete with mud was a great idea. It showed that you can use an Imp in motorsport before being old enough to drive one on the road.
James Henderson.
pubcrawler
Car Model: 1965 Hillman Imp, 1971 Austin Healey Sprite MkIV

Post by pubcrawler » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:55 pm

Great stand at Race Retro, well done to all involved 8) .
Owner of the Green Heartbeat Imp from Aidensfield!
Martin Parkes.
SuperSport
Car Model: Hillman Super Imp

Post by SuperSport » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:12 pm

Mike, Pete and myself travelled up today (Sunday) and the Club stand was in my totally unbiased view the best in a number of very important ways, and ways that the other clubs, organisations and stands should take note of.

With I think the exception of the 'if it is blue it must be a Renault Alpine' stand, there were few stands that had as many cars as the Imps, and while many of the stands showed cars that would get the confirmed petrol heads going weak at the knees (this is a family site so that last light got cleaned up :lol: ) there were few that were relatable.

Shockingly Mini's were scarce, I think the Fiat 500/600 clan fielded more, there were so many 'Lotus Cortinas' to make them commonplace but the rest, like the early Bentley with a scruffy hand written for sale sign (yours for 275 THOUSAND pounds if you are interested) were novelties but with little 'connection'.

The stand was maned (and womaned ... sorry) by friendly people, genuinely friendly people, and that makes a huge difference. There were a lot of scary looking serious people who you would not really want to have a casual conversation with, let alone asking a question that the 'informed types' would consider a stupid waste of their time. Astoundingly considering I have not been a committee member for about 15 yrs Richard S not only recognized mike and I, but used our names, serious respect !

We all know that it is cold in February, but surely the organisors could have put some heating or blowers in the 'cow shed'. We were lucky that we could walk away from it after about 30-40 minutes - it took that again to get the pain of the cold from our extremities but how the traders, who paid good money for their pitches coped I cannot imagine.

Thanks to all those who put the time and effort for a true highlight of the show.

Ian
Richard Sozanski
Car Model: stiletto.chamois coupe

Post by Richard Sozanski » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:50 pm

Thank you guys for the kind words ' but lets not forget that without the others who brought the exhibits along none of this would have been possible!!!
So a big thanks to all of you who made this stand so special.
A full report on our "Impish fun at the retro show" will appear in Impressions soon .
Richard S
Imp Club Events Secretary
Imp027
Richard Sozanski
Imp Club Events Secretary and Stiletto Registrar
Dom
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto

Post by Dom » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:56 pm

Great event! great chance to catch up with friends! :)

as always i was armed with a camera! (Not great photos, they were from the iPhone.

Super cool £6000 (each) gaming simulators! James ibbitson trying them out!
Massive congrats to James for getting 1st place on the leader board! :D :D

Took a few other photos, but are saving them for the magazine and Imps.me.uk ;)

Over all great day! cant wait to go again next year :D thanks all who helped organise it!

and dont forget! ...

TO IMP FIFTY! AND BEYOND!

Imp029
Dom Smith
69 Sunbeam Stiletto XPA175G
tomcat
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super 1972

Post by tomcat » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:37 am

Well done to all those involved with the stand. Excellent :D :D

A good show throughout I thought.
pubcrawler
Car Model: 1965 Hillman Imp, 1971 Austin Healey Sprite MkIV

Post by pubcrawler » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:04 pm

Just a few more photo's from Sunday. The guy in the lovely sounding V8 powered Firenza was having far too much fun :lol:
Attachments
imp 001 (3).jpg
imp 011.jpg
imp 017.jpg
imp 018.jpg
Owner of the Green Heartbeat Imp from Aidensfield!
Martin Parkes.
ibbo
Club Member: No
Car Model: .

Post by ibbo » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:55 pm

Hi everyone
Cheers Dom for the pictures :D
I have a few pictures of the Imp stand and a few of the surrounding cars (not the best pictures tbh :roll: )
The show was brilliant, one of the best there's been, there perhaps weren't as many stalls as there has been but it was still brilliant :)
I would like to thank everyone who had anything to do with setting the stand up, you all did an excellent job :mrgreen:
But the biggest thankyou goes to Simon Benoy! He worked very hard to make sure everything ran smoothly and did an amazing job of it :) So thankyou Simon :D
Roll on 2014 :D
Cheers, James Imp004 Imp005
mark ibbotson
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:55 am

Well I made it up to Stoneleigh on Saturday and had a brilliant time! 8) 8) What a great show!

I too would like to express my admiration for the Imp Club people that made the Club stand what it was - a sensation! :mrgreen: It attracted a great many visitors and not just for the cars. The photographs on the walls behind the cars attracted a great many questions and comments too. :) The variety of cars on the stand was broad and entirely appropriate for a show called Race Retro. The Fraser and Bevan replicas were stunning, as ever. The works rally car displayed its history with pride and attracted some very favourable comments, one visitor saying that for him it was the car of the show! :mrgreen: Nigel's rally car continues to fascinate me and it was brilliant too to see James's PCT car on the stand. A huge thank you is due to their owners for making the considerable effort to bring their prized cars! 8)

Simon's interview in Hall 3 to promote the Imp in its anniversary year was enjoyable too! Well done, Simon! :D :D

I'd like to add my thanks to Richard Sozanski, Simon Benoy and to Karen and Richard Claydon for making me feel so welcome on the Imp Club stand. I hope I was of some help on the day I was there! :wink: It was great to be able to catch up with so many fellow Club members too. :D Also, I'd like to thank Simon very much for driving me back to my car, which I managed to lose in the enormous complex that is Stoneleigh. :oops: If I hadn't bumped into you, I might still be wandering around Stoneleigh... :?

I took some photos around the show and shall post them soon, assuming I can figure out the changes they have made to Photobucket. :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
Nigel Webster (anrw)
Car Model: None currently

Post by Nigel Webster (anrw) » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:41 am

Paul
Hop in your car on Sunday and drive to Sweet Lamb to see us out in the forests. Geoff, I and Chris Tooze are all out on the Mid Wales Stages. See The BHRC thread in 'Motorsport'.

Regards
Nigel Webster
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:58 pm

Was a good show of imps ,i walked past the stand but didnt stop as for the rest of the show its gone done hill ,no auto test and a load of micras and modern cars on the rally stage dont realy see how they are retro cars ,and the auto jumble is just about knackered more tools than parts

col
SimonBenoy
Car Model: 68 Stiletto, 72 G15, 67 race Imp, 3 projects

Post by SimonBenoy » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:30 pm

Nice report in this week's Classic Car Weekly. Also reported in the Classic & Sportscar weekly email.
Richard Claydon
Car Model: 65 Ex Works Rally Car

Post by Richard Claydon » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:45 pm

Race Retro video - not what you'd expect but excellent.

Richard Claydon
81 Sport
67 Preproduction Stiletto
65 Works Rally Car
Richard Claydon
Car Model: 65 Ex Works Rally Car

Post by Richard Claydon » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:33 pm

And another

Richard Claydon
81 Sport