Isle of Man - Idea.

News /Chat about forthcoming Imp Club events and other non Club events
celyn
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Hillman Imp Mk3 Basic

Isle of Man - Idea.

Post by celyn » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:16 pm

This isn't an event at the moment; it's just an idea. A chance remark in Another Place resulted in the thought of an Isle of Man Impmeet, with a drive around the TT track. I've never been to IoM, and have no idea whether or not it's a feasible idea. But.
Erm.
Any thoughts?
Fran
1971 Imp Basic with minor mods called Celyn (after Terry Pratchett's Imp y Celyn in Soul Music)
GURNSIMPS
Car Model: IMP SUPER//TRANSIT

Re: Isle of Man - Idea.

Post by GURNSIMPS » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:10 pm

I.O.M. is an awesome place Fran and to drive the TT roads would be great,it will take some putting together but what a Weekend that would be.
Loving Imps since 1963!!
ImpJimbo
Car Model: BS Nymph and Singer Chamois Coupe.

Post by ImpJimbo » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:15 pm

That would be great. I would love to do an Imp event on the Isle of Man.
James Henderson.
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:44 pm

Sounds great, when're you going to organise it for? :twisted:
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
Meltdown
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by Meltdown » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:29 pm

IOM is a great place for all sorts of reasons, not least the TT course - we rode round it and have a healthy respect for the racers. The locals are friendly, scenery beautiful, lots to see and do, plus once out of town there's NO SPEED LIMIT :lol: The Manx also have IMHO the best penalty for using your mobile whilst driving, an instant £1000 fine.
The only downside is the ferry cost, I know it's ramped up for TT week but it's still not cheap off-peak.
All in all it sounds good to me :D
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
celyn

Post by celyn » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:56 pm

bazzateer wrote:Sounds great, when're you going to organise it for? :twisted:
Um, (gulp!) when d'you want?
I've never been there. Is it a suitable location for an Impernational?
Fran
1971 Imp Basic with minor mods called Celyn (after Terry Pratchett's Imp y Celyn in Soul Music)
andy
Car Model: Imp, Husky, Van, Singer Chamois

Post by andy » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:34 am

fantastic great place I am up for this :D :P :D

Andy

Imp009 Van001 Imp029
www.imps.me.uk
65 Commer Van (otr), 65 Singer Chamoix Saloon (project), 69 Deluxe (otr), 69 Stiletto (adopted by Dom)
www.andysmith.me.uk
greengoblin
Car Model: SUNBEAM IMP SPORT

Post by greengoblin » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:05 pm

sounds wicked im up for it.
celyn

Post by celyn » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:42 pm

I've just been told that the ferry costs an arm an' a leg :(
Still, I suppose we could think of something for, say 2014...

Imp001
Fran
GURNSIMPS
Car Model: IMP SUPER//TRANSIT

Post by GURNSIMPS » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:26 am

Going from Heysham in june return would cost £374.50!! :o
Loving Imps since 1963!!
impman1965

Post by impman1965 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:02 am

GURNSIMPS wrote:Going from Heysham in june return would cost £374.50!! :o
You could try a group booking, or might be cheaper to buy a boat
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:19 pm

its always been expensive and this is one of the reasons the manx was cancelled due to the ferry price so if the rally boys could not cut a deal we have no chance ,and another man who could not get to grips with the ferry prices was joey dunlop who very nearly lost all the kit plus there lives to get to the races took a fishing boat only for it to sink

col
StuartC
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super x 2

Post by StuartC » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:30 pm

For dates when there are no other major events taking place on the island it may be possible to get a combined ferry/accomodation deal at a cheaper rate. The tourist board would probably advise as they are keen to attract visitors there.
celyn

Post by celyn » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:15 pm

Sounds like it's too expensive to even consider. I wouldn't be able to pay as much as that :(
Fran
phatbob
Car Model: Hillman Super Imp.

Post by phatbob » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:36 pm

Well, I'd be up for it. How about next year (2013), as an "infill" between 'going Dutch' events on the even numbered years?
Astronomy is looking up!
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:04 pm

colin rooney wrote:its always been expensive and this is one of the reasons the manx was cancelled due to the ferry price so if the rally boys could not cut a deal we have no chance ,and another man who could not get to grips with the ferry prices was joey dunlop who very nearly lost all the kit plus there lives to get to the races took a fishing boat only for it to sink

col
It's on film. Joey got the salvage rights and lifted the bikes out, stripped them and went on to compete...what a guy :D
Off-season prices should be cheaper and, as the weather is somewhat changeable, would it make much difference what time of year it happened?
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:16 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/pe ... mona-sinks

True sporting heroes RIP Robert and Joey
Don't always do what you do best sometimes do the best that you can do.
sammy the sturgeon
Car Model: GLAddis an August 1963 Imp De Luxe

Post by sammy the sturgeon » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:50 am

Steam packet ferries that operate from liverpool to douglas do a five day return ferry crossing special
say a thursday to monday
I just put in 5th July to 9th July 1 person with a car and the rate is £188.00 return!
2 people and a car £198.00 return!
seems there are that many travelling to the tt for the races they are already fully booked for a week before the tt that starts 31st may till a week after it ends on 9th June ie fully booked till the 16th.
so the crossings a week after that are still hiked up hence the expensive june prices
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
'GLAddiss' August 63 Imp deluxe (Under restoration)
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
and a garage on the garden!
dinglem
Club Member: No
Car Model: 1970 Sunbeam Stiletto, 1969 Hillman Imp Van

Post by dinglem » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:32 am

I'd definitely be up for this, assuming work constraints permit. Isle of Man is somewhere i've always fancied going, particularly in one of the Imps :D
68 Stiletto WAS 998
69 ImpWerks Van RVP 530G Carter 1304cc
70 Stiletto FDH 44H
83 UltraBurner
83 Skyway
84 SuperTUFF
00 Lotus Elise Sport160
chris
Car Model: g15 turbo

Post by chris » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:51 am

yep I haven't been over for awhile now so would like to go back, its well worth doing.....

Are any manx imp owners on here? I know theres imps over there I have spotted them myself when over there for the tt on a drive, never moved over the years though by the looks of it :(
Wanted..... FREE STILETTO...... PM Me...........worth a try haha :)
My G15 page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/398397523543681/
moose
Car Model: rally imp

Post by moose » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:53 am

most expensive patch of water to cross anywhere, to ease the burden on those travelling a long way to get to Heysham you can have free camping in my garden as an overnight stop to break up a long journey i have approx an acre for tents and can probably park 10-15 imps on hard standing i am next door to a pub and 20 mins from ferry and 5 mins from M6 motorway junction, if anyone is passing and has problems they can also call in and use the workshop and any spares i have to keep them going. i have some stage maps from the best days of the manx rallies if anyone wants to use them to put a touring route together tholty will hairpin, brandwell etc all bring back great memories.
Regards Moose
Century Autosport
celyn

Post by celyn » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:57 am

phatbob wrote:Well, I'd be up for it. How about next year (2013), as an "infill" between 'going Dutch' events on the even numbered years?
Must admit, I was thinking more of a one-off event.

There's rather a lot going on next year already, which was why I suggested 2014. I'd overlooked Going Dutch though, for which I apologise. If something's wanted for 'odd' years, then it would have to start in 2015. Isn't there a regular trip to Ireland in those years? We can't have too many regular things: it will be far too expensive and no one will be able to afford it.

Imp001
Fran
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:00 pm

I'd love to do this. :mrgreen: But only if we can beat the ferryman's prices down. Lots. :x The Isle of Man is somewhere I've wanted to visit for a long time. To visit it in my Imp would be awesome.

A stop-off at Mike's place would cap it all off nicely too! :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
phatbob

Post by phatbob » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:07 pm

Fran,
I've given the wrong IMPression I fear. I was thinking only of a "one off" event too. We could do it this year maybe, if people feekl that 2013, being the 50th Birthday, is already too busy to fit in another event. On the other hand, what better excuse to get some publicity (and therefor maybe sponsorship?) for a 50th birthday tour of the TT circuit? 8)
I can't wait until 2015! :wink:
Astronomy is looking up!
impman1965

Post by impman1965 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:53 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

RoyBlunt
Car Model: 1966 Hillman Super Imp, 1981 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post by RoyBlunt » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:23 pm

Since I don't expect anyone would let me borrow Mike Hailwood's 250cc Honda Six for the trip (excuse my fantasy..but it is a lovely thought...) - taking Suzy around the TT course (just imagine the gentle echo from the exhaust going through Kirk Michael) sounds an absolutely fantastic idea. If we can sort out a suitable date and, hopefully, a good ferry deal, Dawn & I would definitely be up for it.
Imp011
Roy
Racing Ron
Car Model: Imp

Post by Racing Ron » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:44 pm

We have been looking to do an event on the IOM, and there are deals to be had, with a group booking which includes hotels. I suppose it depends on the quantity of people making the journey and the time of year (that seems fairly obvious, numpty!) It just needs somebody to take it a bit further..... Roy.
celyn

Post by celyn » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:07 am

Sadly I can't afford it this year because I've too many major expenses coming up already, one of which is Imp-related.

It would be great to be able to do a long weekend on the IoM next spring; however I think we're all going to be too busy - and too broke! - getting our cars prepared for the 50th anniversary celebrations. Realistically, 2014 may be the earliest practical time, if only because of the cost.

I wonder if our Chairman and the Events-wallahs are watching this thread and have any comments to make?

Imp001
Fran
RoyBlunt

Post by RoyBlunt » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:20 pm

I'll make a few enquiries to try and get an idea of likely costs, etc., and see if we can get any worthwhile discounts.
Imp011
phatbob

Post by phatbob » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:08 pm

I mentioned this at last night's North Wales area centre meeting and there was a lot of positive response. Vince and Dot Frost definitely up for it. 8) Thought I'd mention it here as Vince and Dot don't really "do" the interweb. :wink:
Astronomy is looking up!
ganderson888
Car Model: 1973 Imp Super

Post by ganderson888 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:33 pm

celyn wrote:It would be great to be able to do a long weekend on the IoM next spring; however I think we're all going to be too busy - and too broke! - getting our cars prepared for the 50th anniversary celebrations. Realistically, 2014 may be the earliest practical time, if only because of the cost.

I wonder if our Chairman and the Events-wallahs are watching this thread and have any comments to make?
Sorry Fran - Only just caught up with this one having followed only the first few posts.

Next year, we already have Coventry in May & Perth in August so to add one more big event could as you say prove too expensive.

Probably best for Roy to come back with his research and see what interest there is.

Imp001
Graham Anderson
RoyBlunt

Post by RoyBlunt » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:33 pm

Reply from the IOM Steam Packet Company (after asking for 10 car block booking discount) 23-Mar-2012: "Fares for 2013 will not be available until September/October this year, if you contact us then we would be able to advise you further. As a guideline this year the cost for a car and 2 people return start FROM £198.00 return (excluding each way weekend surcharges of £20.00 if travelling on Friday, Saturday or Sunday). All our fares are subject to availability at time of booking. If you contact us later in the year with more specific dates we would then be able to give you a better idea of the cost. Steam Packet Holidays who deal with ferry/accommodation (they also have a campsite on their books) will also be able to advise you their 2013 packages prices in October."
Thus we won't be able to get firm prices for 2013 until October 2012 (and, presumably, won't get 2014 prices until October 2013) but it will be expensive. There are some interesting ('From ££££') IOM offers on the web but, on enquiring, the actual prices are well above the offer price. I'll keep looking and will get 2013 & 2014 prices again when they become available. Imp011
celyn

Post by celyn » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:24 pm

*Gulp*! :shock: :(

Imp001
Fran
617sqn
Car Model: Hillman Imp 1972

Post by 617sqn » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:18 pm

Just my ha'pence worth :-

If this was to be considered for, say, 2015 then 1) it would fit in the intervening years for Going Dutch 2) it would give plenty of time and opportunity to save up and 3) could possibly be included as a National if there hasn't been anyone already "volunteered" to do that year yet. I appreciate that ferry prices don't get released until the previous autumn, but this is also the case for Jersey and others too. Even the Dover - Dunkerque ferries won't take a booking for our trips to Holland a year in advance.

Let's not write it off yet ................

Andy G. Image
Member No. 7500, and Stan's best mate.
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:15 pm

I've heard there are some ex Sea France ferries going cheap...perhaps we could all chip in for a Manx National :lol:
65 Chamois
celyn

Post by celyn » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:17 pm

Let's put it to the committee. Might have to wait until next April 1st though...
Fran
617sqn

Post by 617sqn » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:32 pm

Having had a brief discussion at our mid-monther last night, we decided that another Secret Tour to somewhere else would be the preferred route of the Sussex AC. The ferry costs to the I.O.M and the lack of interest by the Steam Packet Company to offer discounts for block bookings has put the brakes on our participation. :cry:

Andy G. Image
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:32 pm

I've not heard of anything specific, maybe just speculation?
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
Richard Claydon
Car Model: 65 Ex Works Rally Car

Post by Richard Claydon » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:02 pm

Oii..................Image
Richard Claydon
81 Sport
67 Preproduction Stiletto
65 Works Rally Car
617sqn

Post by 617sqn » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:14 pm

Eh ? Sorry Rich, but I don't think we've strayed off topic. I was pointing out that the Sussex AC probably won't go because of the ferry costs.

Andy G. Image