hillclimb and sprint championship

Information / Questions and Discussion -
Imps and Imp based Motorsport stuff from the olden days and current
ibbo
Club Member: No
Car Model: .

Post by ibbo » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:26 pm

Today i recieved entry forms for loton park at 99pounds a go plus 7 for camping for that you get 2 practice runs and two timed runs maybe its time i hung up my crash helmet or looked at doing something else i know motorsport is expensive but that equates to 25 pounds a minute in the dav plus of course the fuel in the tow car add another 50 so make the most of the trackday at national its fantastic value :roll:
mark ibbotson
Lotus-e-Clan
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:45 pm

Mark

I've posted a taster list of some of the modified cars enrolled on the track day so see this thread...

click here
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
limjamrace

Post by limjamrace » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:50 pm

I think it is a case of a drop of entries makes the price go up Marky!
If more people took it up then the cost of hiring track and all the other stuff would be spread the cost!
Gerry Richards is doing his best to promote this form of Motorsport.
You know as well as me what a chance of a lifetime we had in the nineties.
Ok if the likes of Frank just entered one event for a hundred quid,and never did it again because of cost,at least he can look back and see what he achieved.
I have and although i want more i didn't appreciate what i was doing at the time till i stopped doing H&S because of little James. Last March was an eye opener at being so slow after 8 years and how faster all you lot are now.
It is now an ambition to prove to myself and all sundry that not only am i a crazy genuis modest race car designer but quick as well!
help me and Gerry get as many bog standard Imp or similar people out there to keep a great form of Motorsport alive-please!!
onomatopoeia
Car Model: Singer Chamois, Davrian Mk7a, Clan Crusader

Post by onomatopoeia » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:56 pm

As I mentioned in another topic, the budgets for sprints and hillclimbs are scary things. Have a look at this event at Castle Combe, http://www.bristolmc.org.uk/EventRegs/GWSregs.htm - £100 to enter. I'm on the committee that set that entry fee and I can tell you that if it fills we will not make a loss. Just. We can't afford to be many short of the maximum though before the event goes into the red and not many more than that before the loss goes into four figures. The maximum number of entries we take is based on how many we think we can run in a day and since this is going to be a two lapper we are seriously restricted on that score. As it is I will be having kittens up in course control trying to get everyone through the event before the 6pm curfew. :lol:
ibbo

Post by ibbo » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:23 pm

Dont worry Dave will be out again this year doing my bit to keep the championship alive good to hear from you again you old tart :D
mark ibbotson
limjamrace

Re: hillclimb and sprint championship

Post by limjamrace » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:32 pm

ibbo wrote:Dont worry Dave will be out again this year doing my bit to keep the championship alive good to hear from you again you old tart :D
I remember that every year you moaned about the cost of the forthcoming season!
Don't call me an old Tart!
I'm an ordinary middle aged bi with a start of a crossover(hair style)..
ibbo

hillclimb and sprint association

Post by ibbo » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:44 pm

like old times seriously though my kids are getting older now more expensive so have to watch the pennies now emma asked if she could go on a skiing holiday with school thousand pounds ouch :( perhaps i will take up lawnmower racing
mark ibbotson
Gerry Richards
Car Model: Davrian mk4

Post by Gerry Richards » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:55 pm

limjamrace wrote:Gerry Richards is doing his best to promote this form of Motorsport.
help me and Gerry get as many bog standard Imp or similar people out there to keep a great form of Motorsport alive-please!!
....but it must be noted that although I'm always exhorting others to have a go my last event was in June 2006, and I only did two events that year....

Might do a bit in the G15 this year, if I ever get it finished, although strictly for fun as it'll be in 'Ecospec' for road use (sport spec engine, 165/70/13 Avons). I want to see if I can get 60 mpg out of it on a run.
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:56 pm

I did banger racing when i was 18 , but even thats expensive nowadays . Had to give it up it jarred my back to oblivion ( still not right and never will be )
Formally known as " Noddy "
benwick3
Car Model: Race Clan Crusader x 2

Post by benwick3 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:27 am

At those prices it makes sense to take up racing if you want more miles for your pound.

Pete Richards
pimpdriver
Car Model: Irish Clan, Luff Hillclimb Clan.

Post by pimpdriver » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:17 am

Mark
If you drove slower, you would get more time on track for you money :twisted:

You can't justify any competitive motorsport on on price per minute or price per mile. From drag racing to enduro rallies it varies widely. For hillclimb and sprints you can enter your standard roadgoing car, with a £70 - £100 entry fee, £200 crash helmet, £100 overalls and £40 ish licence. Once you start to modify your car, the entry fees really are a small cost compared to the mods. If you do one type of motorsport someone will always say its cheaper to do a different type, If you have a saloon, someone will say its cheaper to run a single seater, If you run an imp engine, someone will say its cheaper to run a bike engine. Motorsport costs, simple, decide what you want to do, see if you can afford it - Then DO IT :P

Mark (ibbo) in his davrian has been a stalwart of the HSA series & usually embarasses most cars he competes against. In the HSA series you are in an imp class but quite often on the day you run in the normal classes, in Marks case modified roadgoing upto 1400. He often has won that class on the day, in a 1040 davrian, and these are NOT historic classes, they are open to any age of car. On a 'being competitive for least cost' basis, Marks Davrian must be one of the best value cars out there.

Eric
StuartC
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super x 2

Post by StuartC » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:57 am

pimpdriver wrote:Mark
Mark
If you drove slower, you would get more time on track for you money :twisted:
Yeah - about a second a run should do it Mark :lol:

Stuart
Gerry Richards
Car Model: Davrian mk4

Post by Gerry Richards » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:17 am

If you have a Bugatti type 35B Grand Prix car you can go circuit racing with the VSCC and do 5 lap races for less than it costs to enter some hillclimbs.

Therefore, it's actually cheaper to circuit race a Grand Prix car than it is to hillcimb an Imp, in absolute terms, not just £/mile.

(you just need the £0.5m for the Bugatti in the first place 8) )
rootes

Post by rootes » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:41 am

of course whilst Autosolo are not as high speed at £25-30 for the day with 12-16 runs they are great value and no need for helmet, licence etc
With Diesel Power, Blows your mind drastically, fantastically