SMRC Knockhill - 1st September 2019

benwick3
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Race Clan Crusader x 2

SMRC Knockhill - 1st September 2019

Post by benwick3 »

I'm in the process of sorting an entry for the Scottish Classic Sports and Saloons race at this event. I intend combining it with a short break and I'm asking if anyone north of the border has any contacts with the circuit who would be able to arrange safe storage for my Clan and trailer there after the event for a few days. Alternatively, if that's not possible is there anyone nearby who could provide safe storage not too far away so we can have a few days exploring in our motorhome.

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
Teddie2003
Car Model: Clan Crusader & Davrian Mk6

Re: SMRC Knockhill - 1st September 2019

Post by Teddie2003 »

Hi Pete,

Would have thought it might be worth giving "Brandy" on here, Harry Simpson 01313394921 a ring as he's spent a lot of time racing on the Scotland circuits and might know people who can help.
benwick3

Post by benwick3 »

All sorted. Entry accepted and tickets arrived today. On the ticket front I have 3 going spare so should anyone be interested in attending get in touch. I should be able to get them posted so they arrive before the meeting. Alternatively I can arrange for them to be left at the gate if that's an accepted practice north of the border.

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Post by bks974c »

Would have popped up had I not been away, good luck and hope you have a great time.

Scott
benwick3

Post by benwick3 »

No takers - I assume everyone's going to Bo'ness.

If anyone should decide to come along make yourself known and I'm sure we can supply tea/coffee.

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
benwick3

Post by benwick3 »

Having had a week to take it all in I thinks it's time to spill the beans.

We arrived at a very wet Knockhill on Friday evening. Found the correct paddock and had a quick look round. After some food we noted that the rain appeared to be horizontal and as the motorhome heating was not working it was time to turn in. Saturday morning the paddock started to fill but we had to go to Dunfermline for diesel for the motorhome. On our return the Clan was made ready for scrutineering and no problems were found. Weather had improved but still windy with some showers. Managed to watch practice and get some idea of the track going in the opposite direction.

Sunday dawned dry with some sun so all was looking well. Practice was dry and I was out early. At the hairpin, which is the first corner in the reverse direction, I was somewhat unnerved by the Midget in front of me spinning. All went well although I was faced by an Esprit rejoining just after the hairpin which had demolished the circuit marker posts. As expected I was last but not by much.

As the series was the featured race we had to assemble on the Grid for a grid walkabout by the public. I was surprised by someone coming up to me and asking if I had another red Clan as they had seen me at Spa two years before. With the grid cleared we had another formation lap around to the grid. Unfortunately fr me the Mini in front of me lined up out of position blocking my view of the starting lights. Consequently I was slow away but did make up one position on the first lap. On the second lap I had just made up another position as I approached the chicane. Then it all went wrong along with my line and I think I hit the sausage kerb on the right and spun across the track. It looked like I was heading for the barriers when I hit the gravel trap, the offside wheels dug in and I rolled ending on my roof. I was trapped. I released the belts but could not remove the quick release steering wheel. Not much room in a Clan even when the right way up, even less when upside down. After what seemed and age, I'm sure it wasn't, the marshals arrived. They managed to remove the passenger door and I was assessed by the Doctor. Between us we removed the steering wheel and I was slowly extracted from through the passenger door opening. After further assessment I was taken to the medical centre in the rescue vehicle where I was handed over to another Doctor. After a further series of tests I was passed fit although it was noted that my blood pressure was slightly high. Not surprising said the Doctor. Brenda joined me at the medical centre and we then made our way back to paddock. On the way we met the breakdown crew who informed us that they had left the car towards the middle of our allocated area as nobody knew exactly where we were located. We found the car on its wheels with the passenger door inside the cockpit, the rear screen partially out of it's rubber and the front screen cracked with the top corner also out of the screen opening. Inside were all the pieces of broken fibreglass I'd asked the marshals at the scene to recover. With help the car was pushed nearer to our spot and the engine cover taken off. The engine was covered by a mixture of oil and water. This did not look good at first but with both the dry sump and radiator header tank intact it was decided that this was in fact the contents of the breather tank. The car was then pushed to a gravel hardstanding area and the engine sprayed with degreaser and washed off with water. By this time the number of helpers had increased and I decided to give the engine a try. It started first time and sounded perfect. At this time the idea was to get everything secure so it could be loaded on the trailer for the trip home. However, as there was some time before the next race an idea was hatched to get it back together and take part. That is what happened. The passenger door was refitted although one hinge, Imp bonnet hinges, was broken and held in place by tank tape. The rear screen was fitted in the rubber along with the front screen. The drivers side mirror was dismantled and repaired and as much gravel as possible removed from inside the car. The two offside wheels had gravel between the rims and tyres but this was removed after they were removed and the pressure let out. While this was being completed Brenda went to the scrutineer to see if he would check the car over and let me take part. All was fine although because of the cracked screen I had to fit the visor to my full face helmet as a guard against any loose flakes of glass.

Much to the surprise of the majority of the spectators, and particularly the commentator, I took my place at the back of the grid. This time I could see the lights and made up a couple of places. However, after another incident at the chicane, I took things easy and finished the race as last classified finisher.

It was great to finish and reward all of the unknown people who helped me get the car back together. We had intended to continue with our original plan and leave the car and trailer at the circuit and have few days exploring the area in the motorhome. Unfortunately the water circulation pump decided it had had enough and so after a short discussion we decided to stay the night and make our way home in the morning. We did, however, manage to come home via the recently refurbished Jim Clark Museum at Duns.

Will I go back? I'm not sure but if I do it will only be to race the normal way round the circuit.

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

Great report pete and so glad your ok and that you and the car were fit to do the 2nd race

col
bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Post by bks974c »

Sorry to hear about your incident, Knockhill is a little trickier in reverse but little point in telling you now.

Glad your Ok.

Scott
Lotus-e-Clan
Club Member: No
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Finding myself upside down in the Clan is amongst my worst nightmares! :shock:

It 's a big tick (apart from weight saving) for external door hinges when racing ..no way would you get the door off a std upside down Clan. :o

A big tick also for tight-fitting multipoint harnesses. :)

Many racing and rally years with plenty of set backs and rapid recoveries behind you have clearly hardened your resolve to get back on the horse and ride! :D

The motorhome glitches must have also felt like Lady Luck had truly deserted you that weekend!

Glad you are OK. Clan004
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
SimonBenoy
Car Model: 68 Stiletto, 72 G15, 67 race Imp, 3 projects

Post by SimonBenoy »

So that must be more than 50p in the pot!

Glad to hear that you are ok and the car not too bad.
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 76 Datsun 260Z

Post by bazzateer »

:shock:

'Wow' simply isn't a big enough word, have a 'Blimey!' and a 'Crikey!' as well! :D
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
benwick3

Post by benwick3 »

SimonBenoy wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:22 pm So that must be more than 50p in the pot!

Glad to hear that you are ok and the car not too bad.
Thanks Simon.

I had to pay twice as both the car and driver had to be recovered!

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
benwick3

Post by benwick3 »

Video of the races has just appeared on the SMRC web site. Does not show the incident but does show the result. Also shows the restarted race and the second race.

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.