Information / Questions and Discussion -
Imps and Imp based Motorsport stuff from the olden days and current
Klaus
Club Member: No
Car Model: Imp chamois sunbeam 1966

Re: FRASER IMP'S

Post by Klaus »

Hi Barry

I'm preparing an IMP for racing here in Denmark next season and it's very inspiring to see the pictures of your build of the Fraser Imp.
I'm looking for a fuel tank right now - please tell me what type is yours and where did you buy it ?
Best regards
Klaus
bazzateer
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer »

Hi Klaus,

The owner of this Imp is Jim, not Barry! :wink: His username is apeximp.
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
Klaus
Car Model: Imp chamois sunbeam 1966

Post by Klaus »

Sorry about that. Will PM Jim.
apeximp
Car Model: .

Post by apeximp »

Hiya there guys , well things are getting there with the Fraser imp this month , with great expense brought lots of new stuff :D after the nightmare with the gearbox that failed after only 800 miles I have a new quaife / weedon transaxle and a pair of brand new grp doors and today I collected my new rodwell Motorsport 1040 :D so hope to get all this stuff up to Ron at Impspeed some time next week ! Won't be out again this year in the hscc but hope to try and get out at Anglesey in nov ! Jim
apeximp

Post by apeximp »

Hiya guys , for anyone following me and or the Fraser imp (maybe a few these days after the sad passing away of mr Alan Fraser himself) just a quick note to let you all know that the new 1040 started of the key up at Impspeed last week ! Ron tells me it's a very nice , responsive engine that so far is looking good !
Should have the gearshift conected up by the time you read this and it's on to fitting / painting the lightweight grp doors !
Getting there again , and looking forward to getting it out again in the new year !
Jim
Meltdown
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by Meltdown »

Good to hear you'll be heading out on the racetrack now you've got your motor running. Where'd you get your doors from?
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
apeximp

Post by apeximp »

Doors from a guy called Marcus from near Southampton can very highly recommend him as his doors are totally fab !
He has also done the rawlson panels for Colin Roony
apeximp

Post by apeximp »

New doors were dummy fitted before Xmas to check for fit and operation and have been primed today ready for the White and blue paint and to be re fitted to the shell next week , then go Finnish of the few up grades and get her ready for test in feb prior to a full go at this years hscc championship :D
Jim
bazzateer

Post by bazzateer »

Look forward to seeing you both in action this year Jim. :D
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

^^ Me too! :P

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
ChrisBenoy
Car Model: Clan 'E' 998

Post by ChrisBenoy »

Good to hear you've got some development done and are planning more of a full season this year, will be good to see you out. 8)
apeximp

Post by apeximp »

Think the biggest prob last year was to sort out transport and it took me ages to pick up a really cheep tow car and a trailer ! I now have a rather nice Brian James single axle trailer that was used for carrieing a Austin - Rover Merto 6R4 so ideal size for imp and a rather nice old Mercedes-Benz 190e , just got the tow bar done last sat (ex staff member of garage I work for had one) all for the total price of £500 the lot :D
Also started to rent space at local farmers barn to keep them both as space was / is a problem also !
With the race car back from Ron soon we can get started again . Jim
thowman
Car Model: Imps

Post by thowman »

Hi Jim

Looking forward to seeing you race this season. Glad you got the transport sorted out.

Andy
apeximp

Post by apeximp »

Thanks Andy , still waiting for a run in your imp van !! :D
And Thanks again to you for your transport help , your van still alive ?
Jim
apeximp

Post by apeximp »

The Fraser Imp is very nearly finished and coming home next weekend for some late night road miles prior to Donington Park on the 20th March. Still a few jobs to do on both the racer and the tow car but feel the end is now in sight and we can look forward to race one !!
Any ideas how all the other guys ar doing ???
apeximp

Post by apeximp »

Apart from a busted jockywheel on the trailer , today wad a major step forward :D went with tow car ( mercedes 190 e) and my new 2nd hand trailer and collected the fraser imp from Ron today ! Round trip of aprox 400 miles with no probs apart from aforementioned jockywheel ! Great to get car back and I went for a short road test before loading it up at Rons place , it was damp and the full race 1040 with R23 cam was no way wanting to play !!! Trying to keep revs down for running in and on race dunlops in the rain I did about 5 miles and loaded her up! Lots of small jobs and fettling to do over the next few weeks , game on guys !!! :D
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown »

Good to hear. Have you got anything else to do before she's race ready?
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
apeximp

Post by apeximp »

Just need to get some miles on it realy ! Oh and need to call lifeline on Monday as it looks like my fire extinguisher should have been serviced in 2008 ??? It has a made date that looks like 2006 !!! Been looking in the blue book but can't find the requirements ! Best to get it done ? Oh and belts due next year !!! What fun throwing out all this stuff that's just done two races so far eh !
Anyone pm / reply if they know the deal with the extinguisher please !
Then lots and lots of cleaning
Jim :D
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown »

Fire extinguishers must be serviced every 2 years.
65 Chamois
apeximp

Post by apeximp »

They slipped up last year and so did I !!! Must it be back to lifeline of can it be done by independent fire extinguisher people ? As I have a contact in the trade ???
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown »

I have no idea, but have heard that Lifeline are reasonably priced for service (hope so, I've got one) and they're not too far from you (Coventry IIRC).
65 Chamois
apeximp

Post by apeximp »

Managed around 80 miles today along with 20 or so others done since engine built should see us ready for the weekend !! Washed and polished it this afternoon and just about to do another oil change , refitted the serviced fire extinguisher and that's about that .... Gulp ! Collected my trailer from Colin Roony today also who fitted winch and welded up new places for ramps to locate as there were way too wide and car would not fit on properly !
Think we are nearly ready to roll ............
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown »

apeximp wrote:!
Think we are nearly ready to roll ............
You'd better do what I'm going to do...paint 'PTO' on the underside :lol:
65 Chamois
apeximp

Post by apeximp »

Don't plan on flipping it over meltdown ! :D
apeximp

Post by apeximp »

Got problems ! As you may have read in the Motorsport thread I had a torrid time at the season opener at donington park last weekend !!! Had a dreadful time in practice and only managed four laps before going off at redgate corner possibly o my own oil that was leaking from a loose cam cover , this was fixed and I got out for the race ! Now maybe it's the driver who can't pedal his new engine / gearbox properly or as I hope it's just poorly set up ? Was unable to get the car "on cam" during the race and just pottered around at the back unable to make any progress ! This I hope to sort out with a visit to Btec's rolling road next Tuesday ?
Won't be at cadwell park but hope to be out again at silverstone
Jim
Swimpster
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super / Clan Crusader

Post by Swimpster »

Hi Jim
Don't beat yourself up mate, my Mrs and me were at Donnington and we thought you did pretty well. You finished, got three points and kept your car in one piece. I think I know how you feel, but, it's early days, you've only got a couple of races under your belt and I'm sure you'll learn and progress. I'm still waiting to do my first race, as soon as my Clan's ready, I couldn't believe how difficult it is getting around a circuit doing my ARDS test, never mind belting around a track with every other competitors going hell for leather to get to the first corner.
Keep your pecker up mate, I'm sure you'll sort out any teething problems.
Lovely car by the way.

Cheers

Tim
apeximp

Post by apeximp »

Thanks for your kind comment ! Hope to find out why the engine is not reving soon , had to change the date to get engine set up checked ! Now taking the car to Colin Roony for a check over a few days before then a run on the rollers on the 13th April and hope to see if it's car or the driver un able to pedal it properly :D
Hope to get a test day done at brands hatch prior to entry to silverstone if all is found to be ok ???
Jim
The Nun
Car Model: Imp x 2

Post by The Nun »

apeximp wrote:going off at redgate corner possibly on my own oil that was leaking from a "loose cam cover" , this was fixed and I got out for the race !
Jim
Fit extended nuts and wire lock them.
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
apeximp

Post by apeximp »

After the car stuck in a barn since the weekend after donnington , I took here of the trailer and cleaned of all the dust and dirt checked all the levels and got her up to temp and drove her the three miles back to my house . The one thing that has been bugging me since the race is was there a car problem or was it the driver ??? Well after a mile or so I had the chance to give it the beans in 1st and 2nd was easily able to get up to my 9000 rpm limit and was climbing in third until I ran out of road and came into my village speed limit , don't think the old bill would have too happy if I was pulling 9k with all the noise etc !!! So just shut of and cruised back to my place ! I now get the feeling that hopefully apart from some minor setting up the engine / camshaft (R23) should be ok and I'd i can't get it on the cam again it maybe gearing ? But as I DID NOT use 2nd gear in the race it was never reving properly so think it was a driver error ! :D
bazzateer

Post by bazzateer »

Driver error being the cheapest fix let's hope so! :wink:
apeximp

Post by apeximp »

In a couple of weeks I hope to be back to normal after a manic few mths at work with new systems and staffing changes , then with my wifes & my birthdays and wedding anniversary out of the way and a Cornwall holiday (all within two weeks) I hope to dig out the Fraser Imp and get her running properly and entered for a race sometime soon ! It feels / is a long time since donnington and life has sort of got in the way , the feeling was to sell her but as no firm offers came forward and as I did not realy want to sell her I hope to get out again soon and see if I can get her running abit better than the last outing ! Thing is I keep finding jobs to do on it every time I pull it from the garage :cry:
All the best , Jim
bazzateer

Post by bazzateer »

You're not allowed to sell until you've had a full racing season behind you................................it's the law................... :wink:
apeximp

Post by apeximp »

Just back from the very long awaited rolling road run and thankfully found tha on paper at least the new engine IS putting out more power than last years 998 !!! Had a little play about with / without link pipe on the exhaust system and was very surprised to find 1bhp more with it !!!

Looks like it's all down to the bad driver ! :oops:

Jim
SimonBenoy
Car Model: 68 Stiletto, 72 G15, 67 race Imp, 3 projects

Post by SimonBenoy »

So that's why you weren't at Curborough today......

So will you be out at the Finals meeting?
apeximp

Post by apeximp »

Twas a very nerve-racking / interesting afternoon ! Car performed better than the 998 from last year with as expected power increase at the top end ! Good power curve , a bit rich at low revs but tech thought best to keep settings I have ! He does quite a few imps he said and thought although not the most powerful he had seen the way the power was delivered was very progressive and makes for better driving characteristics ?

I just need to learn to keep my foot in !

Merc tow car has over heating probs I need to sort this weekend but have entered for the finals Simon . :?
cov_climax
Car Model: Super

Post by cov_climax »

was that bradleys (BTEC)? by any chance did he mention me depositing coolant all over his floor during a power run - then fixing it to get home :lol:

how many ponies did it make? - mine is quite cammy on a fraser B, didn't even make max power before hitting the limiter (8400 on the day, since raised :D ) so i've still work to do.
apeximp

Post by apeximp »

Yes it was btec, yes he did tell me bout your coolant escape ! Got 92/3 on two power runs , thinks I am effected by fuel pressure ? Advised to move fuel pump to boot ! And high temp of nearly 30deg ! But am quite happy with this figure for now .......
Lotus-e-Clan
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

apeximp wrote:Yes it was btec, yes he did tell me bout your coolant escape ! Got 92/3 on two power runs , thinks I am effected by fuel pressure ? Advised to move fuel pump to boot ! And high temp of nearly 30deg ! But am quite happy with this figure for now .......
Peak power /torque will probably be lower with 30C air temperture IF the carbs were originally jetted @ 10C - 20C which is more typical for Brit air temperatures. BTW for that reason don't have your carbs rejetted on a VERY hot day or they will run weak at high rpm under WOT when the weather is normally cooler....and that's not good

The log of AFRS I ran yesterday in high air temps @ Curborough showed high 11s to low 12s AFRs on WOT (too rich) instead of my usual 13s ...and it felt less pokey above 6500 rpm.

:idea: Now I'm aware of this, the next thing to do when air temps are high is to swop the small air correction jets (I use 155 or 165) for larger ones (185 -210) to lean out the high rpm AFR back toward 13 :1.

Then repeat the Log at Curborough for a direct comparison..It's a pity Curborough is so far away and there no cheaper trackday than Curborough around here. :(

Mind you, I stupidly filled the 6 gallon tank (27 litres /27kg) in Litchfeid so there's another reason why it felt slower 'cos I've usually had just a 1/4 tank left on arrival at previous sessions (7 litres /7 kg) :oops: :lol:
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
apeximp

Post by apeximp »

I had a great time at silverston on sat and good to catch up with the news with the other HSCC / HRSR racers and there supporters , also to chat to other impers ! The weather was kind to us and I even got there early for a change rather that scrapping in with mins to spare (Andy :D ) After practice was very pleased to see from the time sheet that I managed to take 6 seconds from my practice time round same track from last march so this was a big positive ! The race went well and I was able to replicate this time again but mostly in the 1:22's but I felt I still had a gearing problem as still can't get to rev out in third ! And after reading thro my emails have confirmed that I have the wrong rear ratios !!! A error was made in building up my new gearbox last summer and the lot will be coming back out again next weekend to have this resolved , then finally I might be able to get max revs / speed from my car :D but at least we have a answer now
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

You'll really be flying in that gorgeous Fraser replica of yours then, won't you, Alex! :D :D Six seconds is a heck of a lot to take out of your previous best, especially since you say your gearing is amiss. Fantastically well done! :D

See you next season.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD

Return to “Motorsport Forum”