rear brak disc conversio

Information / Questions and Discussion -
Imps and Imp based Motorsport stuff from the olden days and current
pierre33
Club Member: No
Car Model: GINETTA G15

rear brak disc conversio

Post by pierre33 » Thu May 31, 2018 3:17 pm

hi, i am in France and run in historique tour trophée maxi 1300 classe 1(0 to 1000cc) whit a G15. i whant change the rear drum by disc. I suspect that the subject has been discussed, but can you give me the easiest editing (fiat x1 / 9 or ford sierra or ........ In advance thank you and excuse me for my English
benwick3
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Race Clan Crusader x 2

Re: rear brak disc conversio

Post by benwick3 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:45 pm

I have discs, front and rear, on one of my racing Clans using X1/9 bits. My original racing Clan has discs on the front, Vauxhall Viva, and Imp drums on the rear. To be honest I don't think there is anything to gain from the rear discs, particularly with the work involved. With rear drums the main thing is to ensure that you have very good brake shoe shoes and I have always used Ferodo VG95 although I believe these are no longer available.

I used to race a 998 Ginetta G15 with the standard Spitfire front discs with uprated front pads, DS11 if I remember correctly, along with the above mentioned VG95 rear brake shoes and again found them to be more than adequate.

If you want an opinion on the performance of the disc/drum combination on my original Clan have a word with Michel Chapel, who competes in the Maxi 1300 Series, currently in a Simca Rallye, as he has raced it.

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.