Maguire Imps - Do they exist???

Information / Questions and Discussion -
Imps and Imp based Motorsport stuff from the olden days and current
MATTinSURREY
Club Member: No

Maguire Imps - Do they exist???

Post by MATTinSURREY » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:40 pm

Having seen various posts on here I'm beginning to think most of Maguire's cars have disappeared. I know Graham de Looze has one and Keith Scott in Ireland but that's it!

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ONE FOR SALE???

Contact me via the forum on by emailing me - mattinsurrey@hotmail.com
rcarr

Post by rcarr » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:06 am

Hi Matt

Does it have to be a Maguire?

They are few n far between, I know of two with bike engines but not for sale!

How about a Davrian or a Rawlson or just a spaceframed car like mine?

Cheers

Richard
sunstrip_steve
Club Member: Yes

Post by sunstrip_steve » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:07 am

Has to be said they are not 2 a penny, and do not turn up for sale often. more likely to get a blor knox pathmaster 42 than a maguire come up for sale
Ed
Car Model: Mini, tricycle or shanks pony

Post by Ed » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:59 pm

Maguires are very rare, the last couple that have come up for sale have been about £4k or more for the rolling chassis only. A couple of davrian imps have been up for sale in the past year but they are still around the £2-3k mark. They do exist it just takes a lot of searching and talking to all of the imp suppliers. With the increased interest that competition imps are attracting at the moment prices have been going up.

Ed

P.S. If anyone needs a full race 998 I have one for sale £2k complete with carbs.
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:37 pm

There is a few maguire cars out there but they dont seem to come up forsale so i am going to build my own am looking at starting at end of january with the aim to have it ready for 2007 i will keep every one posted on how the build goes

colin
doc

Maguire space frame cars

Post by doc » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:24 pm

Maybe I can shed some light on some of the cars built by John Maguire....
I raced the ex-David Enderby Chamois coupe, with a five-speed Knight tranny and engines built by Ray Payne, in 1982-1984, running in Scandinavia. I bought the car directly from David after the final Wendy Wools round, when he had gotten started on converting a Tiga S2000 to run with an Imp engine and be clothed in VW Karmann Ghia bodywork. My car was then sold to Harry Simpson in Scotland who did very well in hill-climbs, until the car's demise was recorded in Motoring News. I do not know whether Simpson re-built the car, or scrapped it. Incidentally, I also bought Enderby's first Maguire Imp (the saloon shape bodywork) that was
badly damaged at Thruxton in 1980, hitting a marshal's post tail first. This car was sold on to a Norwegian gentleman who scrapped it it the Nineties. Another Maguire Stiletto was built for Mats Warg of Falun in Sweden, the gent who originally purchased the ex-Ivor Goodwin/Slim Borgudd/Chrysler Sweden Imp that I have still got, and which is being re-built at the moment into a Ray Payne/Hartwell lookalike. Mats' Maguire car was sold on to Finland, I do not know if it still exists. Finally, the Barry Reece Maguire Stiletto was totalled at Castle Combe in 1983, causing Barry severe injuries from which he sadly never recovered fully.
I hope this fills in some of the gaps in the history of the Maguire cars. My own favourite race in one of those cars was at Kinnekulle in Sweden in 1982, when I was in a GT race and managed to beat two Porsche 935s in the race...it was very wet and the Porsches could not put their power down. The ex-Enderby car was magnificent.
Doc Knutsen, Halden, Norway
Gerry Richards
Car Model: Davrian mk4

Re: Maguire space frame cars

Post by Gerry Richards » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:02 pm

doc wrote: the gent who originally purchased the ex-Ivor Goodwin/Slim Borgudd/Chrysler Sweden Imp that I have still got,
Slim Borgudd - drummer with Abba for a time I believe?
doc

Slim Borgudd Imp

Post by doc » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:17 pm

Yes that is correct, Tommy "Slim" Borgudd was indeed the drummer with ABBA. He did a few F1 races, and later on was fairly successful in truck racing (compared to racing an Imp, that is going from one extreme to another!)
The car was raced by Ivor Goodwin in the UK, and features in the Frank Gardner/ Camaro video, in a race at Thruxton. It was then sold to Chrysler Sweden, Borgudd drove it on behalf of the Chrysler importers. I bought it in 1978 iirc, and replaced it with the Maguire Chamois late in 1981. The car has had to be re-shelled as it had been lightened in 1980s special saloon style with a Rawlson nose, doors and rear wings and what remained of the original steel shell has had 25 years of tinworm attack. It has now been fitted with the original suspension and the Ray Payne built engine that has been in storage since 1982. It also has a new Knight 5-speeder courtesy of David Weedon, and just arrived back from the spray booth resplendent in Hartwell colours. A lot of time and effort have gone into getting all the right bits for it, including a period Smiths 10 000rpm mech tacho (driven off the camshaft) and I even managed to find a set of brand new Girling alloy front brake callipers (after seeing the part no in an illustration in the book on the Bevan cars!) and talking to AP Racing who still had a few in stock. Needless to say, I am very keen to run it in the Scandinavian historic saloon series in 2006.
Doc
jdm

Post by jdm » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:21 am

doc wrote:Maybe I can shed some light on some of the cars built by John Maguire....
I raced the ex-David Enderby Chamois coupe, with a five-speed Knight tranny and engines built by Ray Payne, in 1982-1984, running in Scandinavia. I bought the car directly from David after the final Wendy Wools round, when he had gotten started on converting a Tiga S2000 to run with an Imp engine and be clothed in VW Karmann Ghia bodywork. My car was then sold to Harry Simpson in Scotland who did very well in hill-climbs, until the car's demise was recorded in Motoring News. I do not know whether Simpson re-built the car, or scrapped it. Another Maguire Stiletto was built for Mats Warg of Falun in Sweden, the gent who originally purchased the ex-Ivor Goodwin/Slim Borgudd/Chrysler Sweden Imp that I have still got, and which is being re-built at the moment into a Ray Payne/Hartwell lookalike. Mats' Maguire car was sold on to Finland, I do not know if it still exists.
I hope this fills in some of the gaps in the history of the Maguire cars.

Hi my name is John Donnelly from Omagh in Northern Ireland . I think the car i own (chassis no DE2 ) is the car you sold to Harry Simpson in Scotland . I bought the car less engine and box about 7 or 8 years ago but have never had time to use it
(but it will be out again sometime next year)

if this reply comes out a wrong or in the topic please bear with me,i'm new to this forum and this is my first post so i'm unsure of the proper procedures

cheers JD
cov_climax
Car Model: Super

Post by cov_climax » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:01 pm

Matt,

Don't know if you're still after a spaceframe, but there is a Mason Stilleto on the impspeed website:
Mason Stilleto
Ex David Lewellyn. Still in pieces. All welding done. Body blasted and etch primed. Suspension blasted and powder coated. Possibly the most successful spaceframe imp.
POA. Photos available.
I realise it's not a Maguire but might be worth a call?

Cheers
Brian
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:33 am

I think the mason that ron at impspeed is selling is or was matt,s car
doc

Post by doc » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:45 pm

Hi my name is John Donnelly from Omagh in Northern Ireland . I think the car i own (chassis no DE2 ) is the car you sold to Harry Simpson in Scotland . I bought the car less engine and box about 7 or 8 years ago but have never had time to use it
(but it will be out again sometime next year)

if this reply comes out a wrong or in the topic please bear with me,i'm new to this forum and this is my first post so i'm unsure of the proper procedures

cheers JD[/quote][/quote]

Great news! Yes, DE2 is definitely my old car, the chassis no should be on a brass plaque on the transverse chassis tube beneath the windscreen.
DE1 was David's Thruxton wreck, subsequently sold on in Norway and scrapped, sadly.
I have quite a few pics of the car while in David's hands (black, with Shell
and Peter Varian Estate Agents logoes) as well as when I ran it in Scandinavia. It was initially BRG with a red/white/blue nose flash, then
white with fluorescent red contrasts (my sponsor was in love with Marlboro) finally my "house" colours, bright Signal Yellow with black Revolutions. Beautiful car, very quick and so easy to drive.
If you would like the photos mailed, I am sure this can be arranged.
rootes

Post by rootes » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:04 pm

doc wrote: If you would like the photos mailed, I am sure this can be arranged.
fancy posting them up in the Special Saloons Album?

if you need help adding photo's drop me a PM

Regards
Si
With Diesel Power, Blows your mind drastically, fantastically
jdm

Post by jdm » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:25 pm

doc, it would be great if you could post a couple of photos on the Special Saloon Album, just to show the rest of the troops what they're missing. I dont actually have a picture of the car but i know that Car & Car Conversions magazine did a feature on it and another imp saloon racecar away back when it was owned by Harry Simpson. I always rekoned i'd find out what date it was and get a copy from the Back Issue dept,obviously cant do that now.I remember the tester/writer raved about brakes, turn in,etc but at the time of reading i never thought i would end up buying it ten years later! Ah well....remember what they say.. Nostalgia Is A Thing Of The Past !!
Cheers JD.
benwick3
Car Model: Race Clan Crusader x 2

Post by benwick3 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:41 am

If you find out the date I have Cars an Car Conversions dating back to the very early editions filed away in the loft. Must be 30+ years editions.

Pete Richards
doc

Post by doc » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:09 am

jdm wrote:doc, it would be great if you could post a couple of photos on the Special Saloon Album, just to show the rest of the troops what they're missing. I dont actually have a picture of the car but i know that Car & Car Conversions magazine did a feature on it and another imp saloon racecar away back when it was owned by Harry Simpson. I always rekoned i'd find out what date it was and get a copy from the Back Issue dept,obviously cant do that now.I remember the tester/writer raved about brakes, turn in,etc but at the time of reading i never thought i would end up buying it ten years later! Ah well....remember what they say.. Nostalgia Is A Thing Of The Past !!
Cheers JD.
As soon as my son Matt returns from his vacation, I will get him to scan a selection of my Maguire pics (several more, Pat Mannion's and some others) and I would love to see them on the Special saloon Album. Regarding the Triple C story, well they did do a track test of the Ginger Marshall Mini Traveller vs David Enderby Mason Stilletto, that would have been 1979. David built his DE1 Maguire Imp for the 1980 season, the car that twitched its way into a Thruxton banking rear-end first, putting David into hospital until he discovered the hospital dinner menu...poached cod, I think it was :o)
They also did a feature on Maguire Imps and Minis in 1980 or 1981, including some tech detail shots, I have lost my copy but would love a re-print. Plus, of course, if they did do a story on the Simpson machine, I would love to see it!
POWERIMP

maguire stiletto in Finland

Post by POWERIMP » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:16 pm

Hi!
That ex Mats Warg maguire stiletto is still in Finland but i dont think that it would be for sale. It is original condition and not race use.

Jyrki Salovuori, Finland
v8 head

Post by v8 head » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:13 pm

there was one for sale on race cars direct a month or two back
driftwood

Post by driftwood » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:37 pm

Does anyone know who Ben Boult sold his Maguire (sprinting) Imp to
im talking maybe late 1980`s when he had the car or possibly sold it
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:23 pm

driftwood wrote:Does anyone know who Ben Boult sold his Maguire (sprinting) Imp to
im talking maybe late 1980`s when he had the car or possibly sold it
Ask the man himself: 01926 612432 (Ben Boult - Corley Conversions)

Baz
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
HARRY
Car Model: davrian mk 8 / hillman imp

MCGUIRE IMP - FOR JOHN DONNELLY

Post by HARRY » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:46 pm

Hi John, Harry Simpson here. Just read that you've still got the Imp, if you'd like to sell it I'd love to have it back ! Myself and Ian Forrest are trying to get special saloons back at Knockhill. We are trying to organise a 1 litre class, a 1300 class and 2 litre and over class, I am sure there are a lot of cars out there that are dying to come back out again, if anyone knows of any other cars that are lying in garages and would like to come out to play then please get in touch and we'll see what we can do for next year.

We would have to have at least 10 cars for a race of special saloons and maybe modsports, davrians, clans, genettas etc.

Give me a phone on 0131 339 4921 or drop an email to babs@s1mmo@fsnet.co.uk

cheers Harry
HARRY
Car Model: davrian mk 8 / hillman imp

john mcguire

Post by HARRY » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:56 pm

the very man john mcguire was at my house to day having coffe and talking about the old day of racing imp .
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:47 pm

Get him to do an article for Impressions! :D
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................