Requirements for racing at Spa/Euro tracks

Information / Questions and Discussion -
Imps and Imp based Motorsport stuff from the olden days and current

Requirements for racing at Spa/Euro tracks

Postby skamanfrank » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:46 am

Probably looking to the likes of Pete Richards/Mr Benoy etc for this one....

Can anyone advise whether there are any additional/supplementary (over MSA) requirements for race suits when racing at Spa Francorchamps? Is Nomex underwear (further to balaclava) a requirement or optional at Spa?

Allow me to elaborate:
I attended Autosport International with the intention of buying a race suit.
I was informed by the man at the GPR stand that a 2 layer suit wasn't sufficient if we intend to race at Spa... which we are.
Naturally, I came away with something 3 layer instead as I assumed the chap was correct.

However,
To my knowledge, there is only one FIA standard for garments- 8856-2000 and this includes both 2 layer and 3 layers suits- both are homologated to this standard. This is confirmed when looking at FIA technical list no27, which includes both 2 and 3 layer suits.
Further to that, I see no way of distinguishing from the suit itself whether or not it is 2 or 3 layer, there are no visible markings/labels etc- so nothing for a scrutineer to check against.

So,
After getting home and having some initial doubts in hindsight, I've spoken to a few people and as a result, I think I've been "done". Anyone else have any experience?

Regards
Frank Claydon
Cheers
Frank
skamanfrank

Club Member: No
Car Model: 1972 Imp Super

Re: Requirements for racing at Spa/Euro tracks

Postby benwick3 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:59 am

Frank,

You've been misinformed, i.e. 'Done'. Belgian scrutineers are strict in regards to safety requirements and require suits, underwear, boots and gloves with them complying with the relevant FIA Standards. I'll have a look around as I'm sure that I have an English translation of the safety requirements, both personal and car, required for competing in Belgium that I can forward to you.

Sounds like you'll have to get out there racing so as to upgrade to the required licence. What event are you planning to do at Spa?

Feel free to contact me if you require any further information.

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
benwick3

Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Race Clan Crusader x 2

Postby skamanfrank » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:16 pm

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the swift reply. Very useful- I think I will return the suit and look at getting something that may be more comfortable for extended periods- i.e. floating sleeves, better back panel, but potentially cheaper as a 2 layer.

I am indeed going to have to get out racing to get to Spa- 6 signatures required on my (not yet acquired) Nat B in order to upgrade to Nat A (other options include marshalling/ARDS advanced).
Also- is it true that for races over a certain duration, one can obtain 2 license signatures from the clerk of course? We have three races planned in the UK- Snetterton, Pembrey and Cadwell, each being 4 or 6 hours long. If my previous statement is correct then assuming we finish and drive appropriately that should be all 6 signatures. Aside from that I am also intending to be out in some sprint races in another with 2 events per weekend- whilst I won't be out for all of them, there are around 12 of these rounds before I need to get to Nat A for Spa, so I will enter as many as required.
Spa is not until October, so hopefully Nat A situation should be achievable by then!

English translation of the safety requirements would be very useful. If you could email them to me- frankclaydon AT hotmail.co.uk, I will be in your debt to the tune of multiple beers!!
Unfortunately I won't be racing in anything imp based at all, but instead a Citroen C1 for the endurance stuff and/or a locost as part of the 750MC championship.

The C1 race series is completely new. It comes off the back of a declining 2CV championship and is an attempt to maintain the grid numbers to allow the 2CVs to continue in an economically efficient manner.
It's going to be great fun, with cars being almost entirely standard and extremely cheap to build- the tech regs are very short and if it doesn't say you can.... you can't!

More info here: http://www.c1racing.club
And our team FB page here: https://www.facebook.com/ScuderiaPolloRosso/
Cheers
Frank
skamanfrank

Postby skamanfrank » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:43 pm

skamanfrank wrote:Hi Pete,

...is it true that for races over a certain duration, one can obtain 2 license signatures from the clerk of course?

Found the relevant bit in the blue book:

5.2. The responsibilities of the Clerk of the Course will be:
5.2.19. (3.1, H.13, Q.4.2). Sign competition licence Upgrade Cards (except in respect of Kart Races, with the exception of Long Circuit Karting). As a guide, the following conditions will need to be met before a signature is given:

h) For Endurance Races where a driver has satisfactorily completed at least one hour of driving time, they may receive two signatures.

So that's good!
Cheers
Frank
skamanfrank

Postby benwick3 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:00 pm

Frank,

Another thing to remember is that you can get one signature for a days marshalling at a race meeting. A useful standby that's not dependant on the car/driver finishing a race.

Good idea to return the suit. I'm not condoning what the salesman said but I seem to remember that it's recommended to have a minimum of three layers of nomex but underwear counts as one. Always try a suit before buying and get one larger than you require as they always shrink in the close season!

Pete Richards.
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
benwick3

Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Race Clan Crusader x 2

Postby skamanfrank » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:47 pm

benwick3 wrote:Another thing to remember is that you can get one signature for a days marshalling at a race meeting. A useful standby that's not dependant on the car/driver finishing a race.

And, I imagine it would help to give you an appreciation for the voluntary work/effort that goes in so that racing can go ahead at all!
Cheers
Frank
skamanfrank

Return to Motorsport Forum