Non Locking Doors on Competition Imps

Information / Questions and Discussion -
Imps and Imp based Motorsport stuff from the olden days and current

Non Locking Doors on Competition Imps

Postby OldImp » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:56 am

Hi
The passenger door on my rally Imp that I'm restoring has never locked, the handle just will not move forward into the locked position. I mentioned this problem to a friend who works on competition cars for a living and he told me that on competition cars they should never be able to lock. The reason being that they could do so in an accident and so prevent rescue.
I've been using Imps in competition for many years now and this is the first time I've seen this on a car and the first I have heard of it.
The mod is very simple to do. On the inside door handle mechanism there is a plate with a slot cut into it fixed by a rivet between the two outer parts of the lock and on the handle itself there is a pawl. Moving the handle forward pushes the pawl into the slot stopping the door from becoming unlocked. The resistance you feel when unlocking the door is you pulling the pawl out of this slot. To stop the door being locked simple drill out the rivet holdind the plate and turn the plate around and reattach. The handle will now no longer be able to move forward into the locked position.
I'm curious to know if this mod has been done on other competition Imps and whether other people were aware of it.
Bob
OldImp

Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Re: Non Locking Doors on Competition Imps

Postby The Nun » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:15 am

The reason the handle will not move forwards normally to lock the door is because the operating pin on the outer door handle push is incorrectly adjusted, it needs to be adjusted so its not pressing on the lock plate at all only just clear before the button is pressed, if its pressing on the lock plate at all it can stop the interior handle being moved forwards to lock the door, simple matter of a couple of mins with a small spanner to rectify it.

I can see the reasons behind not locking the door on a pure competition car but its not very practical if you normally use it as a road car at other times and you cant lock it up?
Or looking at it in another way, are we saying its more important to be able to get a competition driver out of his car in the event of an accident than it is a normal everyday driver and their passengers?
One would assume at a competition event there are folk around ready to act and would have seat belt cutting and glass breaking equipment ready to hand for immediate use to get someone out?
Peter Nunn...ey! Im member no.33
Singer Chamois? I know them, my wife's got one of their sewing machines.
The Nun

Car Model: Singer 998 B1 Sport Chamois 1966

Re: Non Locking Doors on Competition Imps

Postby OldImp » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:24 pm

I entirely agree about the security issue which is why I began investigating the problem in the first place. There is often a lot of desirable equipment on view in a rally car. It is though, the rally car that is most at risk from this problem as they can travel through areas with few marshals and may need assistance from spectators.
I don't know if this is possible but perhaps one solution would be to put a key lock on the passenger side as well.
OldImp

Car Model: Singer Chamois

Return to Motorsport Forum