Lynton 16v heads

Information / Questions and Discussion -
Imps and Imp based Motorsport stuff from the olden days and current

Lynton 16v heads

Postby petejon-z » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:57 pm

Dear Chaps,

I am a cuckoo in the Imp nest, as this enquiry relates to motorcycles. BUT I am looking for information regarding the 16v Imp heads that were produced by Colin Lyster/Lynton Racing.
A friend of mine races classic Hondas. He has a customer who will fund the reproduction of the 8v head that Colin Lyster developed for the Honda 450/500 twin if we can find enough information about it to do so.
Both the Lynton motorcycle and the Honda 450/500 cylinder heads were Imp based, if not physically then technically.
I can find limited information on the exterior of the Honda head that Colin Lyster designed but nothing on the valvetrain.

Hence I wondered if anyone on the forum had any photographs or technical specs for the Lynton Racing Imp 16v heads, as I am quite sure that they were the basis for the valvetrain in the Honda head?

Any help would be appreciated as it would be fantastic to build and race a bike with Colin Lyster's head conversion on it.

Many Thanks,

Peter Jones
Attachments
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_8valve1.png
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_8valve1.png (80.46 KiB) Viewed 2135 times
petejon-z

Club Member: No
Car Model: Imp

Re: Lynton 16v heads

Postby tzarrobin » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:57 pm

Hi Peter, are you in contact with Gordon Wellbelove? He owns one of the Lynton 16v Imp heads that appeared for sale at the Imp National in 1996 (I bought the other one). I visited the previous owner of the two heads who was given the task of dismantling the 16v engines in the early 1970's.

Somewhere I have his contact details and a set of photos of the various engine components, I will try to find them.

This is the only photo that I am aware of the shows the 8v Imp engine when it was 'new' (Motor Cycle, 8th May 1968) and another photo showing the bike as it is now.

Kind regards

Robin
Attachments
img_1256.jpg
img_1256.jpg (68.48 KiB) Viewed 2115 times
lysteng.jpg
'66 1220cc EFI Imp Super
'70 Skoda S100 (almost ready to return to the road)
tzarrobin

Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Imp Super

Postby RoyBlunt » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:16 pm

A sectioned diagram of the Lynton engine appeared in Motor Cycle magazine - I'm not sure of the date but it was probably around the same time as the photos (May 1968). I kept the diagram for years (being seriously 'into' motorcycles and motorcycle racing although I haven't actually owned one since 1971 - I bought my Imp in 1969 and still run it - so the connection is obvious) BUT sent it to someone for possible publication sometime in the 1990's. Unfortunately it got lost in the post and I didn't keep a copy. Best of luck in locating the diagram (the Motor Cycle archives must exist somewhere) and in re-creating the engine.

Roy Imp011
RoyBlunt

Car Model: 1966 Hillman Super Imp, 1981 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Postby petejon-z » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:11 pm

Hi,

I have contact with a Gordon via Mercia Imp, who owns a 16v, so I expect it is the same guy.
I have seen the photo of the frame but I didn't realise, or even notice, the motor in the background! Thank you for pointing it out.

I have found a copy of Cycle World in the USA with a review of the Lynton engine, which I am going to buy (& share, if it is any good) - see attached. I will search out the Motor Cycle contents from 1968 magazines to.see if I can locate the Lynton cross section. That would be spot on for what we need.

If you dig out any photos that you can share, that would also be great.

Many Thanks

Peter
Attachments
wp_ss_20160913_0002-thumb.png
petejon-z

Postby petejon-z » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:03 pm

Hi Roy,

Is this the magazine you're referring to, or is it just called Motor Cycle?

Thanks,

Peter
Attachments
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_1968-APRIL-55008-Motorcycle-Sport-Magazine-SPEEDWAY.jpg
petejon-z

Postby oneofapair » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:38 pm

There was also a smallish article in "MOTOR" magazine from the same period. From memory I think the magazine was weekly. I do have the article somewhere, will take a little seeking, if /when I find it will let you know . In that case could send copy via E mail . John Woods
oneofapair

Car Model: ginetta

Postby RoyBlunt » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:28 pm

The magazine was entitled Motor Cycle - it was a weekly publication and, at the time, was published in newspaper format (up to 1967 it had been in magazine format like the picture of the rival Motorcycle Sport and was called The Motor Cycle).

Lots of interest in the Lynton at the moment - the current copy of Impressions carries a very interesting reprint from the April 2016 Classic Bike entitled 'The Lynton Mystery' - loads of pictures but no sectioned diagram of the engine. George Beale (who, amongst other things, created replicas of classic racing bikes like the Honda six and Gilera fours) and Roger Munsey have rebuilt a Lynton and are selling it - they may be able to help you.

Hope that helps a bit
Roy Imp011
RoyBlunt

Car Model: 1966 Hillman Super Imp, 1981 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Postby petejon-z » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:12 pm

I appear to have found the copy of Motor Cycle with the Lynton article. Now to purchase it and look for the copy of Motor with it in.

It was easier to find, on ebay, once I understood it was a paper and not a magazine in 1968. I am slow to catch on...

Peter
Attachments
wp_ss_20160922_0001.png
wp_ss_20160922_0001.png (387.37 KiB) Viewed 1957 times
petejon-z

Postby oneofapair » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:29 pm

The article I saw was definately in MOTOR magazine, I have the article from period and have saved it all this time.When I find will post. Perhaps some autojumble rummage through "MOTOR" magazine of the period in the mean time!!
oneofapair

Postby oneofapair » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:42 pm

Much rummaging later!! The article was in The Article was in "MOTOR" week ending January 25th 1969. Also have original Lynto brochure /price list statimg that a full16valve engine was£ 630.00d including manifolds (in +ex) and carburreters!!!!!!!!!!!!! The head with manifolds etc £350.00
Attachments
lynton page1 001.jpg
Lynton Brochure 001.jpg
Lynton Imp Article1 001.jpg
Lynton Imp Article 2 001.jpg
oneofapair

Postby petejon-z » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:17 pm

Mr Woods, that is a great find. Could you email me the images at
petermichaeljones@hotmail.co.uk

If I try to upload them to view in higher resolution, they won't view on my shoddy windows phone operating system.

It is good to see those cam carriers in some detail, having talked to Gordon about his engine.

You guys have a ridiculous amount of information stored, I wish I had thought of this route of enquiry earlier

Many, many Thanks

Peter
petejon-z

Postby oneofapair » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:57 pm

Will do my best. The cam carriers look to me like shortened imp ones anyway.Keep an eye out on ebay for MOTOR magazine with that date,also autojumbles.
oneofapair

Return to Motorsport Forum