HTP pre 1966 5 speed box etc

Information / Questions and Discussion -
Imps and Imp based Motorsport stuff from the olden days and current

HTP pre 1966 5 speed box etc

Postby oldspa » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:12 pm

I have the old Malcolm Paul Fraser Imp replica. Raced it once last year, found that there was way to much of a gap between 1st and 2nd. Have spoken to Dennis about ratios and he would be able to sort something. But before I take the plunge I just need to check the viability of running a 5 speed in pre 1966. I would in the medium term like to get an HTP for it as a 1965 car which is the alleged year of the car although I have no data plate on the car to verify that. HTP rules state that the car must be of a standard that was raced (internationaly?) in period. As pre 66 is not up to and including 66 (when group 5 was introduced allowing 5 speed) only 65 and before, am I correct to assume that a 5 speed is out of the question because cars were never run in 1965 with a 5 speed box? Imp003 :?:
oldspa

Club Member: No
Car Model: Super

Re: HTP pre 1966 5 speed box etc

Postby doc knutsen » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:48 pm

A five-speeder would stand no chance for an HTP, with the FIA having "interpreted" the regulations and come up with even the four-speed JK box being illegal, despite the fact that it was run by absolutely all Imps racing to FIA Group 2 in period. Apparently, the transmission has to have synchro engaged gears, not dog gears as per the Knight boxes. You may, however, have an Imp racing gearbox built in Finland, with all Knight ratios apparently available, but in synchro form rather than the dog clutch variety.

The five speed Knight boxes were used in period in Group Five, the British touring car championship was run for this category from 1966 up to and including 1969, reverting to Group 2 for 1970. Internationally, races were run to Group 2 regs, which may be part of the reason Rootes/Chrysler UK did not homologate much goodies for the Imps for Group 2.
In early races in 1970, the Bevan Imp, which of course went on to win three straight championships, had to run front drum brakes and the standards "selected" clutch rather than discs and a sintered clutch pending Group 2 homologation from, I seem to remember, early May 1970.
doc knutsen

Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Bevan replica

Re: HTP pre 1966 5 speed box etc

Postby oldspa » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:52 pm

Hi Doc, Thanks for confirming that was actually the case, I can go ahead now and change the ratios in the box. No dog clutches allowed by FIA that's a bit of a shocker, goodness knows what they are thinking there. Did you rebuild yours with syncros then :?: :?: Imp006
oldspa

Car Model: Super

Return to Motorsport Forum