HSCC Race Series 2015

Information / Questions and Discussion -
Imps and Imp based Motorsport stuff from the olden days and current
chamois93
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Singer Chamois

HSCC Race Series 2015

Post by chamois93 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:21 am

Thought I'd start a new topic for the 2015 season, Thruxton is only a few weeks away and hear there might be some new Imps joining us plus maybe some old folks coming back... my new engine (post snapped crank at Oulton Park) is nearly ready, but don't think i'll be ready for the opening race - though might bring Andy's no.1 fan down to see the first race..

Also, now have a road Californian Imp that i've nearly finished, to get a bit of practice in :-)
Imp77
Car Model: Fraser Imp Replica. Historic Rally Imp

Re: HSCC Race Series 2015

Post by Imp77 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:40 pm

Hi all racers I'm intersted to know who will be at Brands Hatch with Imps 11th 12th July ? From what I can make out your series will be running there. Might trip over from NZ has come up at very short notice but will be in the UK from end start of July until the 15th. I race an Imp in NZ and don't know if it would be possible as I won't have a tow car or anything but I thought I would put the question out there and see if possible : Does anyone want to lease a race Imp for Brands Hatch ? I'm assuming I would only need to get international license acredited here to enter. Would need tow car as well as Imp on trailer if not for someone to help get it to the track. I'm very experienced have raced Imps for 30 odd years.
Going to catch up with Reg Patten and Stuart of Rodwell fame while I'm over but would love to meet others perhaps for a pint one night.
Cheers Gary Rush
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:52 pm

Welcome to the forum Gary :-D

No idea about whether you could race but I'm sure Simon Benoy or one of the other racers will be able to advise.
Either way, do try to make it to Brands, it's a good day out - usually plenty of Impers too.

Baz
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
Imp77

Post by Imp77 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:41 am

Thanks Baz will do and thank you for the reply, I'll be there alright. Love to catch up with fellow Imp racers in the UK.
Gary
SimonBenoy
Car Model: 68 Stiletto, 72 G15, 67 race Imp, 3 projects

Post by SimonBenoy » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:16 pm

Hi Gary

Will be great to meet up with you when you visit - we won't know who will be racing at Brands until much closer to the time, but we usually get around half a dozen Imps out. I think it should be possible for you to race if there is an Imp available - other NZ drivers have raced in F5000 in previous years - I will ask the HSCC what the rules are when we race at Thruxton at Easter.

Just got my car back together and fired up - need to bleed the clutch and the car will be ready, just the driver to sort out. I have a very poor record at the first meeting of the season!

Cheers - Simon
Imp77

Post by Imp77 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:58 am

Thanks for the reply Simon I'm really excited about meeting everybody and if a drive can happen well all good. I feel a bit ashamed as I happily look forward to and read all my Impressions mags and have never written any articles or sent photos. Have to change that one.
My email address if anyone should want to correspond directly to me with anything is arush@ihug.co.nz.
Cheers Gary
KiwiHusky
Car Model: '68 Husky, '73 Ginetta G15

Post by KiwiHusky » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:06 am

Good luck finding a car Gary. If you do, I know you'll be up the sharp end of the field! Enjoy the trip, they are a friendly bunch over there!
Cheers, Simon.
Imp77

Post by Imp77 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:41 am

Hey thanks Simon appreciate that. Yes it would the "dream of life time " to race at Brands Hatch. Had to ask. Chris and I are hopping you might come to the far North maybe Hampton for one of our meetings. Looks like next season we will be racing with Historic Saloons. Will get Chris's race Ginetta out for run with sports cars. I'm going to spend a bit of time on it making sure its good to go.
Cheers Gary
p.s.I know what you mean Simon (Benoy) the start of the new season seems so far away then all of sudden it's on ya. Hope prep goes well.
KiwiHusky
Car Model: '68 Husky, '73 Ginetta G15

Post by KiwiHusky » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:18 am

Hi Gary, yes I would be keen to come up and watch you both race. Keep me informed on when and where and I will get things organized to travel up.
Cheers, Simon.
SimonBenoy

Post by SimonBenoy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:16 pm

6 Imps entered for the season opener at Thruxton on Saturday and Sunday with 2 20 min races, 1 each day, amongst a busy programme of races.

Drivers are Adrian Oliver, Steve Platts, Shaun Hazlewood, Colin and Ian Gunton and myself. Weather looks like it might be dry but with a cool wind.

Fast circuit (87mph average), with a good grid, hope to see a few members.

Cheers - Simon
traco

Post by traco » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:23 pm

There is a chance I will get to Thruxton on Sunday in the Imp, will be a long drive from Derby though.
Please try not to break the imps on Saturday :lol:
abth
Car Model: '71 Imp, '96 Ducati 916

Post by abth » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:48 am

I followed the season opener at Thruxton this weekend on http://www.mstworld.com/motorsport/livetiming .
During race 1 Colin and Ian Gunton retired.
Race 2 was even more disappointing, besides the Gunton's, both Adrian Oliver and Simon Benoy did not start.

What happened?

Jaap
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" Mario Andretti
Jaap ten Hoeve
'71 Imp
'96 Ducati 916
Teddie2003
Car Model: Clan Crusader & Davrian Mk6

Post by Teddie2003 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:26 am

abth wrote:I followed the season opener at Thruxton this weekend on http://www.mstworld.com/motorsport/livetiming .
During race 1 Colin and Ian Gunton retired.
Race 2 was even more disappointing, besides the Gunton's, both Adrian Oliver and Simon Benoy did not start.

What happened?

Jaap
I also watched it on the live timing on Saturday's race and saw that the Gunton's had stopped during the race.

Had an e mail from somebody who was there on Saturday telling me.

"Imp's decorated the side of the track and then kept the recovery guy's busy. 5 of the 6 broke in qualifying and the 3 with gunton 5 bearing blocks all died."

Didn't see yesterday's live timing so don't know what happened, but I'm sure somebody will be along to let us know at some point.
bazzateer

Post by bazzateer » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:19 am

That's a shame. :cry:

Hopefully nothing too serious and they'll all be out next time.
SimonBenoy

Post by SimonBenoy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:50 am

Not a great weekend for the Imps, or in fact many other Historic Touring Cars. Thruxton is a fantastic circuit, very demanding and fast. We are averaging around 87mph and hitting 117mph approaching the chicane.

Shaun Hazlewood had an issue in qualifying, water in a cylinder, so took no further part. The other Imps were all fine in qualy, but the session stopped early due to a Cortina rolling and being stuck on the track.

Race 1 was dry and cool. I was having a good battle with Roger Godfrey's Mini and we were close to a group of cars from Jimmy Fuller's Alfa in 5th through to me in 10th, with a closing Colin Gunton catching us as the race progressed. Colin got close and I was expecting him to try an overtake but each time he got close, he seemed to lose a little time in one of the corners and drop back slightly, then he disappeared for good. He had felt the engine tighten up and parked before it broke. I think Ian Gunton had a similar experience and also parked up. Meanwhile, Adrian Oliver and Steve Platts were having their own battle, resolved in Adrian's favour. The race was stopped a couple of laps early due to another Cortina which had been dicing with Steve and Adrian getting out of shape in the 100mph left hander and rolling, leaving debris on the circuit.

Race 2 was similar conditions, but went wrong for Adrian when the lights went out and his transmission failed. I didn't get much further, approaching the chicane at the end of lap 1 there was a horrible noise from the engine and I pulled off. My crank had snapped somewhere in the middle, but had punched out the upper side of the block, thus keeping most of the fluids in the remainder. So Steve was left to a lonely race to the flag.

Other retirements included an engine fire for the Triumph 2000 in qualifying, 1 Mini and 1 Cortina had engine issues in race 1 and another had a rotor arm fail and an Alfa was towed in, both in race 2. A tough start to 2015. Fortunately we now have a few weeks until Silverstone GP on 16/17 May.

Good to see a fair few club members there,thanks for your support, we will try to do better next time!
greenbeast
Car Model: Imp Sport Rally

Post by greenbeast » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:40 pm

A typical cold and blowy Thruxton on Saturday - it is, after all, an airfield circuit. For quali I was over at Campbell, the first part of the 'complex', my favourite spot of old. It's also as far as Shaun got on the first lap. I suggested to Simon that it was scarey there but he said, no, it's scarey round the back - where spectators can't go - and where the cortinas were getting totalled.

In the race, Colin Gunton was catching Simon in clean air. Catching and passing are, as we know, two different things but it was a pity to see Colin pull over. I hope he saved the engine. Simon sounds stoical about his - I just hope something can be saved from Shrigley's finest. Massive sympathies on that one.
Attachments
20150404_115319.jpg
Shaun gets rescued
20150404_114358.jpg
Adrian Oliver in Quali
20150404_113919.jpg
Four of the six Imps. Shaun has pulled off and Simon is a blue spec in the distance.
20150404_111701.jpg
Simon's engine bay
20150404_110226.jpg
Shaun Hazelwood and Team Gunton
Jon Manning

1972 Sunbeam Imp rally
greenbeast

Post by greenbeast » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:54 pm

http://vid1014.photobucket.com/albums/a ... 171227.mp4

Action from Race 1 - coming out of Club corner.
Jon Manning

1972 Sunbeam Imp rally
greenbeast

Post by greenbeast » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:59 pm

http://vid1014.photobucket.com/albums/a ... 172025.mp4

Race 1 red flagged. Colin had pulled off just by the chicane. A puff of smoke told a tale - not a good one though. :(

Oh, and the doughnuts - that was Tiff :)
Jon Manning

1972 Sunbeam Imp rally
greenbeast

Post by greenbeast » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:31 am

It also strikes me that, with a nod to all the carnage and to chocolate teapots, if you raise the power output by 200%, you still have to control the extra forces within the same Easter egg. Seasonal metaphor :D
Jon Manning

1972 Sunbeam Imp rally
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:47 am

It sounds like Imp carnage all round at Thruxton. :( Sorry to hear that! I hope you guys can all repair your cars in time for the next round.
greenbeast wrote:It also strikes me that, with a nod to all the carnage and to chocolate teapots, if you raise the power output by 200%, you still have to control the extra forces within the same Easter egg. Seasonal metaphor :D
Well expressed! :)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
Adrian
Car Model: Super x2 Deluxe x1 Stiletto x1 Davrian mk 6/7 x1

Post by Adrian » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:03 am

Second race start bang clonk clonk and abandon all hope of going further!

I slipped the gearbox out last night to find 4 teeth missing from the crownwheel, looks like a trip to see my gearbox guru Dave.
Just when I thought I could make a start on with the new racecar.

Adrian
Imp77

Post by Imp77 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:15 pm

Boo. That doesn't sound very good Adrian. Wish I was a bit closer by so I could help. I had a great Easter week end at Taupo with the car going very well. I started the race with the rear tyre pressures a bit low and it took the whole race to get heat into them. Did a pb at Taupo on the last lap. I was pretty fired up by then after struggling to get past a weaving Cortina.
Cheers Gary Rush
p.s. Posted a on board video of the last race on you tube. You'll find it under "Rush In Imp" if you're interested. Mind you you may change your mind about me driving your car if available. Lol.
Imp77

Post by Imp77 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:22 pm

Whoops and thanks for all the other stories and photos on that last meeting as I do enyoy following the HSCC rounds. Anybody putting up on board video's anymore ? Havn't seen anything for a couple of years ! There's a few of us Impers in NZ that follow the racing so would be good to have some video's up if possible.
My commiserations to the other Imp racers that had problems. As they say "that's racing". Even the F1 engines go bang.
Cheers Gary Rush
bazzateer

Post by bazzateer » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:23 am

Imp77 wrote:Posted a on board video of the last race on you tube. You'll find it under "Rush In Imp" if you're interested. Mind you you may change your mind about me driving your car if available. Lol.
Looked like a lot of fun!
Imp77

Post by Imp77 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:18 pm

Thanks Bazzateer. She's a great old girl I've been racing for 26 years and never get tired of. 5 speek JK and fairly quick 1040. I've been racing and rallying Imps since 1976 and have just never got over how much fun they are to drive !
Cheers Gary Rush
bazzateer

Post by bazzateer » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:57 am

You certainly gave the Cortinas and that BMC thing a run for their money!
alanh47
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super

Post by alanh47 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:09 pm

Hi all
Some advice please.
I have been slowly trying to get my 1966 Imp super ready to try afew races this season. I have some questions regarding eligible modifications. I still have to remove the chin spoiler as I think this is not allowed and have a front radiator with a rear swirlpot with a radiator cap on it. As I read the hscc regulations do I have to put a rear radiator with a reduced core on my car? My car has a 1055 engine built by Ben Boult and a standard gearbox with straight cut 3 and 4 gear. I have 7x13 minlites are these ok. Maybe somebody would be willing to pm me with their phone number so I could chat about these problems? Sorry about the rambling post.
Thanks Alan
ChrisBenoy
Car Model: Clan 'E' 998

Post by ChrisBenoy » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:52 pm

1. You are correct, chin spoiler does need to be removed.

2. Yes the rear rad rules state that you need a radiator with top tank and cooling core, however, almost every car has a different setup here, we run a cut down rad but various cars have a separate swirl pot/header tank and then something like a heater matrix in *roughly* the original spot. I don't think they will hassle you as long as you make an effort to meet the requirements. In your place I'd try to fit a small radiator core or heater matrix next to the swirl pot.

3. I don't believe there are any specific restriction on wheel widths, only wheel diameter (+1 inch larger than standard) so 13X7 should be fine as long as they fit the arches.
SimonBenoy

Post by SimonBenoy » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:37 pm

Hi Alan

Happy for you to give me a call - my number is in Impressions. I also suggest you get along to a meeting and have a good look at the Imps which are competing as you will see some variations and can decide which is the best for you.

Cheers - Simon
alanh47
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super

Post by alanh47 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:49 pm

Thanks Chris and Simon will do that. Just need to get the rollcage extension in and plumb in the fire extinguisher. Will buy you a coffee or beer when we meet at a race and promise not to get in your way when you lap me :D
Adrian
Car Model: Super x2 Deluxe x1 Stiletto x1 Davrian mk 6/7 x1

Post by Adrian » Fri May 15, 2015 11:49 am

The action is all on Sunday only 3 Imps entered Simon, Steve and myself. i have not seen sick notes from the others! :P

Race 13 Historic Touring Cars

Practice 10.00 to 10.20

Race 16.40 to 17.00
benwick3
Car Model: Race Clan Crusader x 2

Post by benwick3 » Fri May 15, 2015 1:20 pm

Will be some action on Saturday as I'm making my racing return in my original Clan in the 70's Roadsports Series.

Race 1.

Practice - 09.00 - 09.20

Race - 13.55 - 14.15

Just about to leave for Silverstone. Hope to scrutineer this evening so not such and early start in the morning.

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
Teddie2003
Car Model: Clan Crusader & Davrian Mk6

Post by Teddie2003 » Fri May 15, 2015 1:39 pm

benwick3 wrote:Will be some action on Saturday as I'm making my racing return in my original Clan in the 70's Roadsports Series.

Pete Richards
Hi Pete,

hope all goes well and you have a good practice and race this time.

Steve
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Fri May 15, 2015 3:00 pm

Pete, Simon, Steve and Adrian, I hope you all have a great weekend racing! 8)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
ImpJimbo
Car Model: BS Nymph and Singer Chamois Coupe.

Post by ImpJimbo » Fri May 15, 2015 5:19 pm

We plan on being at Silverstone in the afternoon. I am lookinmg forward to seeing he Imps racing again.
James Henderson.
MMCPJONES
Car Model: Davrian Mark 8, 1969 Sunbeam Stiletto (resto)

Post by MMCPJONES » Sat May 16, 2015 3:44 pm

Good luck Pete. Give them hell!
benwick3
Car Model: Race Clan Crusader x 2

Post by benwick3 » Sat May 16, 2015 7:47 pm

No such luck. I should have stayed at home. Practice was done with 3 cylinders due to an oiled plug. Result last on the grid. Sorted the problem by cleaning the plugs and changing the points dizzy to one fitted with an Accuspark module. Only problem was a high tickover to keep things steady. Left the holding area and the car started to misfire immediately. Pulled into the pits and did not take the start. Leaving the pit area and the officials decided that they wanted to weigh the car. Not in the best of moods but I had to comply. Engine stopped and would not start again. Took of the engine cover and problem was immediately evident. One loose dizzy. Back to the paddock for spanners and slave battery. Dizzy fixed and drove back. Close examination showed the dizzy to not be completely seated in the clamp. My fault for not checking it closely. I put it down to all those years of not having a dizzy.

Martin, someone did come up and ask was this car recently featured in a magazine article. Looks like you have some readers.

Handed all our tickets to Simon to distribute to those of you going tomorrow. Have a good day although the Imp count is down to 2.

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Sun May 17, 2015 8:49 pm

At the Loop, Silverstone today.
DSC_2394.JPG
DSC_2275.JPG
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Sun May 17, 2015 9:18 pm

How did they go? Did they finish? :) I hope the racers had a good weekend.

I was saddened to read about Pete's ignition system woes. :( When is the next planned outing, Pete?

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Andy Hillman

Post by Andy Hillman » Sun May 17, 2015 10:00 pm

Made the trip down to Silverstone today with little man Russell, our 6 week old son.
Great to see all the club members, i look forward to seeing you all again at Cadwell, where i wont be driving a babys buggy !
Adrian and Simon pushed hard the whole race despite the field been spread out, always good to watch but to be honest would have been nice to have had grunting Gunton out there putting the pressure on!
cheers Andy