head oil drain

heated
Club Member: No
Car Model: deluxe

head oil drain

Post by heated »

question I have a problem my engine man has made a simple but major mistake I am putting together a rally car and the engine has a sport head which has had all the usually work done to it large cam and valves etc , I also had a new block done to take it out to 998 . My problem is the numty has failed to notice the new block he has had machined doesnt have the hole tapped out to take the other end of the cylinder head drain its all now in the car and i only spotted it yesterday whilst fitting the combined manifold !!
Has anyone ever put the drain straight into the back of the sump by the flywheel ?
any constuctive infomation would be help
cov_climax
Club Member: No
Car Model: Super

Re: head oil drain

Post by cov_climax »

Yes, some peopl have put it into the sump, but if you've got to remove the sump anyway why not drill and tap the boss on the block whilst it is in the car to take the usual drain?

It has been done dozens of times that I have heard about, never done it myself, but know of at least two people directly that have.

Brian
Peter Hurst
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: singer chamois

Post by Peter Hurst »

cov_climax wrote:Yes, some peopl have put it into the sump, but if you've got to remove the sump anyway why not drill and tap the boss on the block whilst it is in the car to take the usual drain?

It has been done dozens of times that I have heard about, never done it myself, but know of at least two people directly that have.

Brian
Did exactly this with an engine in-situ back in 80's to fit Sports head to a standard bottom end. Engine still going strong in present Chamois.
Back then drilled the block with the biggest drill I could get into the chuck of my Black and Decker, then used a Bit and Brace with larger drill to open out hole. Finally as I didn't have a tap used a large Bolt to cut the treads ( I think it was the large bolt that goes into the block where the main oil way is)
These days easy to order right bits over internet but back then had to improvise
tim sears
Club Member: Yes

Post by tim sears »

The thread is 1/2 " BSP and the pilot hole 19mm.
Tim
1963 deluxe
1965 deluxe Nessa's
1967 cali Demelza's
1967 cali Rosie's
1967 cali
1968 Husky
1973 Clan
1967 Sport
1970 Super
1968 Stiletto