Silverstone Finals saturday 19th october imp birthday cake

Information / Questions and Discussion -
Imps and Imp based Motorsport stuff from the olden days and current
ImpManiac
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Re: Silverstone Finals saturday 19th october imp birthday ca

Post by ImpManiac » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:11 pm

Awesome photos, Baz. :mrgreen: And it was a very enjoyable meet! :D It was great meeting some forum members who were new to me, including Lars who popped over from Sweden! :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: As one does! :wink:

I'll post my pictures in due course too.

IM :)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
SimonBenoy
Car Model: 68 Stiletto, 72 G15, 67 race Imp, 3 projects

Post by SimonBenoy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:43 pm

Fantastic day at Silverstone, though some of the cars weren't up to the occasion!

Steve Platts emerged as class winner and picked up a nice trophy. Andy and Colin were both running well near the front of the field but Colin had an alternator problem whilst Andy had a doughnut give up.

My problems started in practice when my crank broke on the 2nd lap. Fortunately my spare engine was in the back of Andy's van, originally in case of any issues with 'Frank'. So after practice, Andy and I swapped the engine over to allow me to race. I started well but quickly fell back due to a misfire at higher revs, but still ended up 2nd in class, due to others misfortunes.

However, the real highlight of the day was the fantastic support from 60+ Imp Club members, many of whom had travelled large distances to attend and the great end of season celebration after the race with the superb Imp 50 cake that Andy had had made specially for the day.

Special mention must go to Lars Hagermark who flew in from Sweden for the weekend to meet up with some members and enjoy the racing.

Thanks to all who came along to support us and we will do better next year!
philgsmith
Car Model: Imp - deluxe, BMW320d Touring, MGF, MGTF

Post by philgsmith » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:58 pm

Today was our first visit to Silverstone (actually our first race event since a stock car meeting in the 1980's - now that was a bit rough & ready!), and we really enjoyed the event.

We met up with fellow Impers and as usual everyone showed exactly why this is such a great club - everyone is so friendly and relaxed with everyone. What a great turnout of members as Jimbo says. It won't be our last race meeting.

Here are some of my photos

Ooops someones going the wrong way in qualifying!

In the paddock before racing - too many people were crowding around Simon and Andy's cars as they were changing Simon's engine - where else do you see competitors working together to get one of them back in the game?

Arrival of the racers..

Simon's engine failure was tough luck on the day. Well done to Steve. Andy & Colin were unlucky too after going well on track.

Highlights of the race - Steve taking the long route around a Cortina in the complex, and Andy & Colin passing a Cortina at the same time - one each side. The Cortina's may be fast on the straights, but they're not the best in the corners.

Imps await the cake..

Thanks to everyone for a great day, it was great to catch up with friends and meet new ones .......and thanks to Andy for a great cake.

Get those cars ready for next year guys.

Phil & Lesley.
When you're in a hole - stop digging/too much to do, too little time
eebiegeebie
Car Model: Singer Chamois Sport

Post by eebiegeebie » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:04 am

What a brilliant day! Many thanks to all the Imp racers for entertaining us, not just this event but all season! A fantastic turnout of Imp Club members and a great birthday cake courtesy of Andy. Even the weather held! Really pleased to meet up with Lars too, and finally put a face to the name!

Looking forward to next year already! :D
John Hall
Andy Hillman

Post by Andy Hillman » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:16 am

The Imp Club, the envy of the classic car world ! well maybe. Great day out made possible because all you guys made the effort to come and watch, and Lars who flew over from sweeden !
Not the best result for our imps in the race, but the paddock support made up for it, i had a good dice with Colin with his new re cast 5 bearing engine,great to see it on the pace only its 3rd time out!
i have put the video on youtube for you to laugh at ! shame we didnt finish, minor electrical fault for colin and failed rotoflex for myself.
With regret i will be taking a year out from hillman racing next year, as many of you will know i am setting up a machine shop/general imp repair workshop, so will have to concerntrate on earning some pennies, Imp racing is like a drug, very addictive, it can take over other priorities, it also keeps you poor!
I hope to return with a tip top imp that will have the pace and reliability required for podium positions!
cheers Andy
Happy 50th Birthday to our little Imps ( i was going to put a 50 candles on the cake, then use the hose from a hoover from Hillmans exhaust pipe to blow out the candles ! but thought it may be a bit extream, possibly wierd!)
eebiegeebie
Car Model: Singer Chamois Sport

Post by eebiegeebie » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:50 am

John Hall
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:03 pm

Great vid, horrible ending.
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
kkj
Club Member: No
Car Model: Imp

Post by kkj » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:02 pm

Have been looking at the Andy Jones video,
If the rev. counter goes to 10 000 rpm. the engine seldom exeed 8500 rpm in the race. Conservative? A long-stroke engine?
http://historicracing-photo.blogspot.se/
SimonBenoy

Post by SimonBenoy » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:10 pm

It's an 1150 development engine and the cam has not yet been developed enough, so it runs out of steam at just over 8k, but it is very good up to there!
ganderson888
Car Model: 1973 Imp Super

Post by ganderson888 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:58 pm

What a brilliant afternoon this was...
With well over 60 members supporting the four Imps it was almost like a Track Night at the National!

Our four racers with Colin Gunton nearest to the camera

Here’s Simon feeling his way round the replaced engine…

Contrasting rear ends on display with Keith Evans’ Gloucester flyer on the right!

Ibbo’s Coupe gets it in on the act…

All too soon it’s all over and it’s almost time to depart…

…but Lars still can’t believe his eyes!

A massive thanks to Andy for the most excellent cake,
It was so good it brought a few of tiers to my eyes, two chocolate and one sponge… :roll:

Simon & Karen proving we could have our cake and eat it…

...while it was sad to see the extremes some people will go to get a slice of the action then hiding behind their camera!

in case you're wondering it's not a meat cleaver it's just the handle of Baz's Umbrella sticking out of his rucksack...

Thanks to everyone who turned up and made it such a fantastic occasion!

Graham
Imp001
Graham Anderson
Lotus-e-Clan
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:21 pm

SimonBenoy wrote:It's an 1150 development engine and the cam has not yet been developed enough, so it runs out of steam at just over 8k, but it is very good up to there!
That's similar to the George Bevan cam (GB72) in my 1040. It's very torquey but runs out of puff beyond 8500. Not as bad as it seems though because you change up early but still drop into the torque band and immediately make progress in the higher gear....and less need for down changes in the turns.

I must confess that I watched Andy's in-car video and was surprised he sometimes changed down for the slower turns (into 2nd) which put him too far up the rev range with no where to go (not enough rev range left) - If the torque is there in the bigger motor then he should be able to stay in third through the turn and have plently of revs left up to 8500 on exit.

That's how it is with the Bevan cam - stay in third (low ratio 3rd = 10 mph/1000) and it''ll pull really well from 4 - 5k (40 - 50 mph) all the way to 80mph (8000rpm) on exit - whereas dropping into 2nd gear pulling 6K - 7k (42 -49 mph) for the same turn means you've run out of revs @ 60 mph (8500 rpm) and need another change all too soon from the exit and a 2nd to 3rd change is relatively slow compared to a 3rd to 4th change which can be lightening fast.

EDIT: the sight of the cake is making me feel hungry - looks yummy!!

Clan004
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
Andy Hillman

Post by Andy Hillman » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:38 pm

Yep i agree cam is far to mild, dyno poved that, falls off the end of a cliff after 8,000. watching the incar i wonder if i would have been quicker changing earlier, very hard to guage.
i have to remember that the 1150 is running bog standard crank and rods hence why was happy to leave with mild cam, if the revs are available you always end up using them, dont we simon :D.
617sqn
Car Model: Hillman Imp 1972

Post by 617sqn » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:14 pm

Glad you all had such a fab time. I've been watching the action via Andy's in-car videos, which are very exciting in themselves : It's easy to get to involved in front of the computer ! :lol: :lol:

I've been watching the season long progress of the splits in the Hillmanator's windscreen with much interest too. How come the scrutineers don't get picky over that ? I guess Andy will get to replace it during the winter lay-off ? maybe ...........

Hats off to all of you that were involved and continue to "keep our end up" :D We're all very proud of you 8)

That was an "ooeerrr" moment for Baz in there. :roll:

Andy G. Image
Member No. 7500, and Stan's best mate.
GURNSIMPS
Car Model: IMP SUPER//TRANSIT

Post by GURNSIMPS » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:20 pm

Fabulous weekend,the imps were flying,easily the best race of the day,I must say, I was impressed by all of the race car owners,Adam is car mad so I told him to ask questions of the drivers and everyone he spoke to was amazing to the point of getting Adam sitting in some of the cars,and taking time to explain the cars History,HSCC should be proud of itself.
Loving Imps since 1963!!
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:37 pm

Here are my photos to add to the excellent ones above. :D It really was a most enjoyable afternoon! The saloons race was exciting and it was great mingling with the racers and the Imp fans in the paddock. :mrgreen: Roll on next season!

Congratulations to Simon for finishing the Championship highest placed in his class and to Steve Platts for his class win on the day! Brilliant achievements, guys. 8)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
pubcrawler
Car Model: 1965 Hillman Imp, 1971 Austin Healey Sprite MkIV

Post by pubcrawler » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:11 am

Thanks for posting all the photo's, looks like you all had a great time :D
Owner of the Green Heartbeat Imp from Aidensfield!
Martin Parkes.
bazzateer

Post by bazzateer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:53 am

GURNSIMPS wrote:Adam is car mad.
Really? Wonder where he gets that from? :wink: :lol:
Lars Hagermark
Car Model: 69 Californian (998) and two 1964 Imps (projects)
Location: 25 km s.w. of Stockholm, Sweden (overseas contact).

Post by Lars Hagermark » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:16 am

bazzateer wrote:
GURNSIMPS wrote:Adam is car mad.
Really? Wonder where he gets that from? :wink: :lol:
^^^ I think I know. :wink:
I came home on Tuesday afternoon after my trip to England. I suppose I haven't yet "landed" properly though. This trip is definitely among the best things I've ever done.
Despite not being a musician or a singer I cannot help using a few well known lines from four pretty classic lyrics. I’ve taken them out of their original context though, but they do describe my experience from the trip very well.
The first one, ‘What a difference a day made’ (Dinah Washington), is for the Saturday at Silverstone.
Coming there, without really knowing anyone (except from the forum), I was amazed and overwhelmed by the very warm welcome from everyone. Within minutes I felt being a member not only of the Imp Club but also of a very nice, happy and big family. I introduced myself to 3 or 4 people and then some sort of rumour must have begun to spread because a lot of nice people approached me saying “Hi, you must be Lars. Welcome, nice to meet you.”
I won’t go into any details, just saying I had so many good chats about Imps and derivatives with more people than I can ever manage to remember. Watching the racing brought back fond memories from when I raced an Imp in Sweden. It made me feel 40 years younger and wanting to be out there once more. Will it happen? Well, I still have the car and the inspiration has grown massively over the last few days.
The next lyric line is ‘It was a night’ (Elvis Presley). My thanks goes to Dave Dickinson for pointing me to the Heathrow AC meet on Monday, to Paul (ImpManiac) for picking me up at the underground station, to his lovely wife for a very nice dinner at their house before Paul and I went to the AC meet. Also a big thank you to everyone I had the pleasure to meet there. Once again I was struck by that happy family feeling (wish we had something similar in Sweden but we’re less than 20 Imp-owners). Also a thank you to Glenn for showing his garage and vehicles running on 2 or 4 wheels. I couldn’t think of a better “Late night show”. :wink:
The third line has to be ‘Heaven, I’m in heaven’ (“Cheek to cheek”, originally Fred Astaire). It summarizes the days in England, the experiences and memories I have brought with me.
The last lyric, ‘Help me get my feet back on the ground’ (“Help”, Lennon/McCartney), is probably the most contemporary with the Imp as it was released in 1965. It’s also a perfect characterization of the feeling that stays with me still. To be honest, I’m not sure I want to leave this “I’m in heaven” experience.
I had plans for next year already before I went to England and I’d probably be better of to get down to earth and out in the garage as quick as possible. The Californian is waiting there and 2014 will be here surprisingly soon. Hope to see you all again then as I’ll certainly be back.
Thank you all! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Overseas contact, Sweden. -69 Cali (998), 2 -64 Imps in need of "some" work.
Life is full of solutions waiting to be found.
617sqn
Car Model: Hillman Imp 1972

Post by 617sqn » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:29 am

Lars : Any chance you might get to go to Going Dutch next year ?

Andy G. Image
Member No. 7500, and Stan's best mate.
bazzateer

Post by bazzateer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:46 am

617sqn wrote:Lars : Any chance you might get to go to Going Dutch next year ?

Andy G. Image
When we chatted he did say he was hoping to.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:22 am

^^ Glad you had an enjoyable visit, Lars. It was a pleasure meeting you. :D I hope you visit us again next year! 8)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Lars Hagermark
Car Model: 69 Californian (998) and two 1964 Imps (projects)
Location: 25 km s.w. of Stockholm, Sweden (overseas contact).

Post by Lars Hagermark » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:12 pm

617sqn wrote:Lars : Any chance you might get to go to Going Dutch next year ?

Andy G. Image
GD 2014 is in my plans for next year and if my health keeps improving I'll not have to adhere to my doctor's advice about travelling. :wink: :D
Overseas contact, Sweden. -69 Cali (998), 2 -64 Imps in need of "some" work.
Life is full of solutions waiting to be found.
JayPea
Car Model: Singer Chamois Saloon

Post by JayPea » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:57 pm

Bit late but here are some pictures from last week.

Great video link above. Real shame a few were struck with engine issues on the day. I must try to get to more next year as it does spur me on to get my Imp back on the road.

http://www.jaypeaphotos.co.uk/Jay%20Pea ... index.html
GURNSIMPS
Car Model: IMP SUPER//TRANSIT

Post by GURNSIMPS » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:57 pm

JayPea wrote:Bit late but here are some pictures from last week.

Great video link above. Real shame a few were struck with engine issues on the day. I must try to get to more next year as it does spur me on to get my Imp back on the road.

http://www.jaypeaphotos.co.uk/Jay%20Pea ... index.html
Great photo's mate.It was good meeting you Lars.
Loving Imps since 1963!!
steve platts

Post by steve platts » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:11 pm

Great Day!! Thanks to all.

Here is my in car video:

http://youtu.be/IbD1k46wwjg live at 2100hrs tonight!

Regards Steve
bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Post by bks974c » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:39 pm

Just looking through the photos - All the imps seem to sit very high, is it a result of the tyres your forced to use :?:

Scott
SimonBenoy

Post by SimonBenoy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:36 pm

Scott

The tyres are 4.5M x 13 Dunlop Historic crossplies, so they do have a larger diameter than a low profile radial. We do have a bit of suspension travel!

Cheers - Simon
philgsmith
Car Model: Imp - deluxe, BMW320d Touring, MGF, MGTF

Post by philgsmith » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:03 pm

Link to the HRSR website report on the event with several photos of Imp racers and supporters - some eating birthday cake ! - last one is a nice big one of the Imp group.

http://www.hrsr.co.uk/?page_id=2157

Phil
When you're in a hole - stop digging/too much to do, too little time
19James
Car Model: '67 Imp Super

Post by 19James » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:10 pm

bks974c wrote:Just looking through the photos - All the imps seem to sit very high, is it a result of the tyres your forced to use :?:

Scott
Andy's and Shaun Hazlewood's Imps are probably the lowest Imps in the series, Shaun especially runs alot of negative camber on the front aswell but his car still seems to fly round corners
James
James Ibbotson
Stanced '67 Imp Super Spring Special (Ex pre '65 racer)
"Low n loud"
kkj

Post by kkj » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:49 am

I did run the Steve Platts and Andy Jones videos simultaneously on the screen. This gives double excitements!
There are some fast Anglias buzzing around the Imps on the track. What kind of engine size do they have?
SimonBenoy

Post by SimonBenoy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:25 pm

Most Anglias have 1500cc Cortina GT engine with a decent race head fitted. Some are 1300cc.
kkj

Post by kkj » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:33 am

SimonBenoy wrote:Most Anglias have 1500cc Cortina GT engine with a decent race head fitted. Some are 1300cc.
1500 cc engines.Liberal rules? In that case, considering it must be a lot of go-fast parts for the Kent engine and these cars, they should be even faster?