Historic Touring Cars 2013

Information / Questions and Discussion -
Imps and Imp based Motorsport stuff from the olden days and current
SimonBenoy
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: 68 Stiletto, 72 G15, 67 race Imp, 3 projects

Re: Historic Touring Cars 2013

Post by SimonBenoy » Fri May 31, 2013 11:33 am

4 Imps entered for the Snetterton round on Sunday 2nd June, myself, Steve Platts, Ian Gunton and Gideon September. Also the A40 is in our class. But overall entry low with just 20 cars.

Cheers - Simon
Randywanger
Car Model: Hillman Imp

Post by Randywanger » Fri May 31, 2013 1:01 pm

SimonBenoy wrote:4 Imps entered for the Snetterton round on Sunday 2nd June, myself, Steve Platts, Ian Gunton and Gideon September. Also the A40 is in our class. But overall entry low with just 20 cars.

Cheers - Simon
Can someone take lots of pictures for those of us who'd like to be there but cant? Merci.
12a Supercharged Rotary Hillman Imp
http://www.sucksqueezebangblow.co/2012/09/blown-rotary-imp.html
MattorMatty
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super & Singer Chamois Sport

Post by MattorMatty » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:55 pm

Had a good day watching the racing in the sun today and the oil on track made for some exciting moments.

HSCC 'Bybox' Historic Touring Car by Matty Way, on Flickr

I've got a couple more pictures from today on my Flickr page.

Matt
Imp007
Matt Way
EXF 517H - Super
GNO 114H - Sport
Andy Hillman
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by Andy Hillman » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:41 pm

Well done to all the Hillmans that took part at Snetterton last weekend, found this video on youtube (2013 Historic Touring Cars - Snetterton Race 1)
Mr Benoy doing some Grass cutting ha ha good recovery though, looked like a really good meeting.
SimonBenoy

Post by SimonBenoy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:18 am

Found these links on 10/10ths...

Touring Cars
Race 1 -
Race 2 -

Videos from a spectators view...
mikeyhearne
Car Model: B.S. Nymph

Post by mikeyhearne » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:58 am

nice to see the orange grills on the race cars and the Imp 50 numberplate :D
nothing is IMPossible with the right attitude and a BIG hammer
apeximp
Car Model: .

Post by apeximp » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:44 pm

Six imps entered for next weekends brands hatch race weekend

Am very much looking forward to this meeting

All the racers ready ?
colimp66
Car Model: 1970 Hillman Imp Deluxe.. "The Pest"

Post by colimp66 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:57 pm

Some cracking photos there of the Imps racing. I saw them at Croft a few years ago & they go really well. 8)

Can anyone tell me who owns Imp number 90 with the Mini hinges on the doors? I would like to know how he went about fitting the top hinge as that area doesn't line up with the hinge box in the door post for easy access to the bolts?

Cheers
Col.
SimonBenoy

Post by SimonBenoy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:53 pm

Car 90 is Gideon September but it might have been Jon Orr who built it. Remember that these are lightweight fibreglass doors with plastic windows, so don't have to be so securely mounted as standard doors.

Cheers - Simon
apeximp
Car Model: .

Post by apeximp » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:40 pm

Should be attending me and mr Roony to watch the proceedings ...... See what Andys big engine does !!!
Andy Hillman

Post by Andy Hillman » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:52 pm

So far no so good am afraid my pal Jimmy, dynoed the 1150 for the second time last weekend, torque was good but has turned its posh oil to custard !
All stripped down now, pressed the liners out think i have located the problem.
I will go to Brands regardless of the outcome, even if it means putting the old faithfull 998 back in. Although i doubt if i will be able to get near mr Benoy.
A Massive thankyou to all our Hillman friends who were so generous at our wedding last month, Thanks to you all i have Brand new tyres and a Hans device to make me brave when i hillman spots a gap :D
Adrian
Car Model: Super x2 Deluxe x1 Stiletto x1 Davrian mk 6/7 x1

Post by Adrian » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:08 pm

Looking forward to Brands, I have all the rear suspension back on and even a gearbox but still need to put the engine back in with one of Andy's secret weapon flywheels.
Will have to wait and see if my suspension changes work or if I will be crabbing down the straight sideways!

Not looking forward to using the sintered AP clutch start "ON or OFF". I am told give beans and dump it to spin the wheels, all I have visions of is the gearbox spilling its guts even with Mr Weadon's finest strengthened casing so perhaps not.

Adrian
benwick3
Car Model: Race Clan Crusader x 2

Post by benwick3 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:55 pm

Adrian,

No problem with sintered clutch. Been using them for years with no problems and I've been using tyres with more grip than Dunlop teflon tyres. More important to check donut bolts on a regular basis. 5-6000 rpm then drop the clutch and boot it is my technique. Contrary to popular belief the AP sintered clutch is not an on/off switch once you are used to it. Also I haven't broken a casing in all the years I've been racing and I've used all types and none have been strengthened - why add weight?

Would have been there in the 70's Roadsports on Saturday but I'm off to Spa the following weekend. I will be at Croft for the Nostalgia Weekend on National Weekend as it's cheaper!

Best of luck,

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
eebiegeebie
Car Model: Singer Chamois Sport

Post by eebiegeebie » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:55 pm

I wasn't able to get down to Brands Hatch today. Any news on how the Imps got on?
John Hall
SimonBenoy

Post by SimonBenoy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:30 pm

Hi John - the absence of the 3 amigos was noted and I could not find anyone who had received a note from your Mum!

The Imps had a slightly mixed day but generally OK. Andy Jones had the prototype 1150 out for the first time but had a few issues. He had things apart between practice and the race and was all ready for the race. I don't have the qualifying times to hand, I managed 6th and Andy was 9th and the other Imps, Steve Platts, Adrian Oliver, Gideon September and Stuart Kerr all completed qualifying without issues.

The race started fine but after 3 or 4 laps there was a Mini in the paddock hill gravel and a mini and a cortina in the gravel out the back of the circuit. There was also some oil down around the track (not from an Imp!) which might have contributed to the problems, so the safety car was called out. The stricken cars were moved to safety and paddock hill had the oil treated but none of the other corners (druids, surtees etc.) were treated so the track remained quite slippery after the safety car pulled in. This is my excuse for being mugged by the Anglias! I couldn't carry so much speed and I definitely can't win in a drag race... But still, I finished 8th and with the cars from 3rd back so a good day. Andy had had a plug lead come adrift and had to make an unscheduled stop - Steve was 9th, Adrian14th, Gideon got another finish in 20th just ahead of Stuart in 21st so signatures for both of them. Andy was 22nd 2 laps down but quite pleased with how the test session had gone.

A good turn out of supporters from the Imp Club and it was great to meet Simon Dobier who is over from NZ for Imp 50 Perth.
Andy Hillman

Post by Andy Hillman » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:31 pm

Ha ha yep your absence noted but dont blame you its not the most interesting circuit to watch from unless its the Indy circuit, then its probably the best spectator circuit.
Well done to Simon for another class win, and all the other hillmans for a fine show.
As you probably know the 1150 now renamed frankenstien due to its renault kango head gasket poking out of its neck, has been a test of my patience.
It ran for the second time on the dyno last weekend but unfortunately had oil water mixing problems, i was already flat out last week so lots of early starts and late finishes ment the engine was stripped/ rebuilt for friday but no time to run on dyno.
Simon hulsee very kindly came round saturday morning to help screw the car back together, we arrived at the circuit around 1am, not ideal but we were there and i was still thinking i was in with a chance of a class victory, practice went quite well my new tires felt great (thanks Simon)and the engine pulled very well, after practice i thought i ought to re torque the head gasket as i have never used a steel multilayer head gasket on an Imp before, once the cam carrier had been removed it became obvious there was a problem with the chain tensioner, the spring had broken and fallen into the sump something i had never come accross before, anyway thanks to mr benoy i was able to remove and fit a new tensioner kindly lent from his spare engine.
Every one chipped in to assist with the job, in true imp club spirit. The engine fired up just in time for our race, the sun blazing so strong the engine temp showing 35 degrees before it even ran! the first 3 laps were great i could see benoy ahead of the 2 anglias, i was just settling in as i have only ever done Brands gp circit once before and that was years ago.
Then the engine went down on a pot! i was so annoyed, i pulled into the pit lane only to discover no 4 plug lead not on the plug! so back on with the helmit and back in the race, which was under yellow flags due to cars stranded in the kitty litter.
John ,Nigel and Kieth i look forward to catching up with you in Scotland, i fancy using the Knockhill track evening as a shakedown for Oulton park gold cup, i cant be having a DNF there especially if my mate no 97 gonna be there !
unfortunately the incar camera turned itself off after 7 minutes so i only have half a lap but will stick it on youtube anyway.
cheers Andy
eebiegeebie

Post by eebiegeebie » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:09 am

Thanks guys, sorry the amigos couldn't be there to cheer you on as usual, but we just can't do every one! Hope to make the Brands Indy meeting, definitely one for the spectators, quite a trek for us, but worth it. See you in Perth. I'll be popping down to Knockhill to see the action.
John Hall
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:12 pm

Great days racing Simon was flying and was running 3rd or 4th in the 1st 2 laps the big boys never realy got to far ahead ,Andy was going well in the race and looked as he was starting to catch Simon but then went missing and came back out a few laps later ,Steve and Adrian were quiet close with a car in between them and the other 2 imps were having there own race all in all a great day and the weather was fantastic

col
eebiegeebie

Post by eebiegeebie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:23 pm

Looks like Sir Chris Hoy will be peddling a Mini alongside the Imps at Oulton Park on Monday! :shock:
John Hall
Andy Hillman

Post by Andy Hillman » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:59 pm

Well its been a long time coming but 3rd time lucky i have finally had a good day of dynoing out of the 1150cc engine, since brands frank has had a new cylinder head fitted due to a hairline crack in the combustion chamber on the first offset head, i say off set because the capacity is arrived at by using 78.4mm pistons equally spaced inside the block with a short stroke offset ground imp crank.
the idea been that the engine would be good for the high rpm where the power is most usefull, anyway its not quite there yet it is down on power when compared by cc to the 998.
but saying that it has 11 ft/pds more peak torque so if he behaves i should be able to see benoy!
If any body fancies a day out at oulton park this bank holiday monday then would reccomend coming early as the ques to get in can be miles long.
cheers andy
Adrian
Car Model: Super x2 Deluxe x1 Stiletto x1 Davrian mk 6/7 x1

Post by Adrian » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:39 am

Good news Andy the Frankenstien engine is behaving!

I have finally finished a complete rebuild of mine with all the good bits on, going to try it up and down the service road at work tonight if I can get it all fitted in time. In theory it going to be better but no time to fit and run it in the road car as is the norm.

Hopefully I can keep up with Steve and I will take binoculars so I can see Simon at the front of the field.

Adrian
SimonBenoy

Post by SimonBenoy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:27 am

Ha ha, you lot! I'm not going any faster than Andy, Colin and David have gone before...

Anyway, we've got a knight to beat in a Mini so let's hope for a good weekend and lots of fun!

Cheers - Simon
speeddemon
Club Member: No
Car Model: None

Post by speeddemon » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:37 pm

Managed to get down to the Gold cup on Monday to follow the imps in action.
What a great day of action and a super turn out which i think saw all the Hillmans apart from 1 finish ( but not 100% on that.) Unfortunatley it was Andy Jones who was out with the test 1150 engine. It wasnt the engine that had any problems but i think a gear change linkage or gearbox which ended his spirited drive on lap 5 i think. With simon benoy taking 11th on the grid and Andy 12th it all looked good for both cars. However when the lights went out jonsey blasted past 6 cars on the start straight to get himself immediatley upto 6th spot. I think simon moved nicely up the field leaving the Minis behind and all the hillmans seem to avoid any contact in the initial first laps. After lap 2 it was evident that jonsey wasnt settling for 6th place overall and found enough pace in the new egine to breeze past an Anglia and move away into a solid 5th place.. It looked very very good for Jonsey but a gearbox gremlin ended his race which was a massive shame. ( 5 speed geerbox needed if theres a sponsor out there ).
All the Local support was with Jonsey but whilst there heads hung a little low with the demise of there man, Simon went about his business quietly but effectively. I must say what a drive it was as well. He managed to leave the minis in his wake and take his trusty Shrigley powered imp to the end without so much as a damp forhead. Simon was of course driving the wheels off his car but the easy of his driving was to be admired. Once into the main paddock he simply took it all in his stride and before you know it had the hillman trailed up ad ready for home without any fuss. He never seemed to put a foot wrong. Ive not had much opportunity to follow the series but i take my hat off to all the imp drivers who made it. well done all. but mostly well done simon , dont know where you are in the points but you deserve some silverware.

Good luck all the hillmans ( but watch out for that 1150 :)
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:04 pm

^^ That's a nice write-up, Mike. Thank you! :D Probably a decent length for a piece in Impressions, actually... :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
SimonBenoy

Post by SimonBenoy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:58 pm

A great weekend except for Andy's gearbox problem - he was going really well and should have had the class win and the Gold Cup trophy that goes with it. I had a poor start, getting delayed by a slow starting Cortina and being eased off on the outside of Old Hall. This allowed several cars through, mostly Minis, so I had to get my head down! Passed Barry Long going into Cascades, and the yellow Alfa into Shell. Lined up another Mini of Tim Harber out of the first chicane and was surprised when Roger Godfrey braked a bit early for the second chicane in his Mini giving me the chance to do 2 at once :D This just left Pete Morgan who defended a couple of times before I got a good run and was able to get by. I was running now at the back of a group of 5 cars - a 1500 Anglia, 2l Alfa, a Lotus Cortina and a 1600 Alfa Guilia Sprint Gt. All was going well until a Mustang which started at the back came through and delayed me a bit. Then the Cortina and the 1600 Alfa had a collision and both retired. But the next lap, there were still yellow flags out and I caught up a slow running back marker and lost about 5 seconds after which I had a lonely run to finish 8th overall. But the Mustang didn't really count as it had already raced with the Super Tourers with the other V8s as our grid was oversubscribed and this allowed everyone to get a race. Steve Platts and Adrian Oliver were evenly matched finishing just over a second apart in 11th and 12th overall. Stuart Kerr and Vince Frost both finished a lap down but having had a good time.
Next race is at Brands Indy - sadly it clashes with WWW but I will be at Brands.
19James
Car Model: '67 Imp Super

Post by 19James » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:16 pm

SimonBenoy wrote: Next race is at Brands Indy - sadly it clashes with WWW but I will be at Brands.
The best spectator's track, and definitely a good one for the Imps, Andy get your Imp ready, show 'em what it can really do :wink:
Cheers, James Imp004 Imp005
James Ibbotson
Stanced '67 Imp Super Spring Special (Ex pre '65 racer)
"Low n loud"
Andy Hillman

Post by Andy Hillman » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:37 pm

Oulton park gold cup 2013, 60 years of gold cup and 50 years of our little imps. Inside my dilusional head i thought we had a chance of a podium finish hence the big push to get Frank the 1150cc engine in and performing. We arrived friday evening all set for untimmed test on saturday morning, saturday was wet so had a great time drifting hillman round and getting familiar with the circuit again.
Had quick look over the car before lunch, all in order so decided to go to Donington park to see Mick and Stuart race there spaceframe imps in the special saloon championship.
both cars looked amazing on track well worth the drive over, thanks to Mick for getting us in foc.
Sunday was recovery day from socialising with mr Platts in chequers bar saturday evening, Blazing sunshine all day could not have been better!
On to Monday, the big day! practice felt very good, so good i came in early convinced i had put a stonking lap in only to find myself 12th on the grid behind Mr Benoy!
Frank was barking louder than the noise test man was happy with so had to lend a additional silencer off fellow racer Stuart Kerr, many thanks Stuart.
The day flew by and before i knew it we were ligned up ready to go, i had a fantastic start , Hillman only has a 4 speed at the moment so starts are much easier than with the dogleged 1st gear in the 5 speed, everything was settling down nicely i was running well up the field no sign of benoy in the mirrors! then disaster stuck on lap 6, i ran wide coming out of lodge then the car filled with smoke at the end of the pit straight, i was concerned i was putting oil down so shut down and moved off line immediatley, once stopped behind the barrier a quick look under the car showed gearbox oil all over the underside, it seems it has been flicked off the driverside doughnut onto the exhaust etc.
I have had a quick peep under the car tonight and cant see any cracks in the gearbox casing so have to say i think it was the bumps on the grass that maybe allowed the seal to leak oil out under full suspension travel! anyway i have a plan for Brands indy so the dream for hillmans birday is not over yet !
Well Done to Simon for a cool class win, top show by all the other imps that ran without fault,
Looking forward to seeing all the imp fans at Brands Indy, by far the best spectator circuit if you are tempted to go and watch.
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:15 am

Good luck at Brands guys, I'll be at WWW so will miss it.
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:24 am

I might actually make it to Brands Hatch Indy! :o I shall check the date.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
SimonBenoy

Post by SimonBenoy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:37 am

4 Imps entered for Brands tomorrow - myself, Andy Jones (with Frank the 1150), Colin Gunton (I assume with the 5 bearing 1050) and Stuart Kerr. 25 entries in total, practice is circa 11.30 and our race is scheduled for 17:00, race 8 of 10. Great clubby meeting so should be good.
eebiegeebie

Post by eebiegeebie » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:00 pm

No Steve Platts?
John Hall
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:08 pm

The Imps acquitted themselves very well at the Brands Hatch HSCC round today. 8) Congratulations to Simon Benoy for winning his class in the HSCC race against some fierce opposition! :mrgreen: It was a brilliant drive. Simon finished fourth overall, with Andy Jones finishing fifth overall. Both cars were blisteringly fast and looked mightily impressive. 8) Colin Gunton's Imp and the green and while car (sorry - I don't know who owns or drives it :oops: ) also went very well indeed. :mrgreen:

My friend Glen and I had a brilliant day. It was great to chat to the Impers in the paddock and the racing was very exciting. :D

Here are some pictures from the Brands Hatch HSCC round today. :D Enjoy.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Andy Hillman

Post by Andy Hillman » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:02 am

Fantastic days racing at Brands today, Alan prost qualified 2nd on the grid in the no 87 imp :D aka benjoy ,then went on to win the class congrats.
i qualified 5th car felt great, perhaps dodgy gear ratios but see what you guys think, Good news is new batteries in the camera ment i can share the full race with you on youtube, should be uploaded by tomorrow morning, will title video "Brands Hatch Indy Historic Touring cars 28/9/13"
Colin Gunton was out in his imp with the new 5 bearing engine, sounded real crisp think he was pleased to be back out, stuart kerr also collecting his last signiture so no more hot cross bun for stuart. As allways great to see all the hillman fans and Dave Roberts all the way from austrailia cheering the imps along.
Frank behaved himself but runs out of puff after 8000rpm so bit more development needed but chuffed to bits with my renault kangoo head gasket!
SimonBenoy

Post by SimonBenoy » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:01 am

Great photos Paul. And thanks Andy, for the kind words. It was a great meeting and lots of support - Keith and Dilwyn even came over from Wicked Welsh - seriously keen, glad you enjoyed the day.
What nobody has mentioned so far is that Andy made a brilliant start from the 3rd row to be second into Paddock (I was 3rd, which I was happy with, my 1st to 2nd gearchange was reasonable) and going into Clearways on the first lap he dived under the leading 2l Lotus Cortina to grab the lead - sadly it was short lived as the move was a tad optimistic and the gravel was looming up rapidly (cold tyres would be a valid excuse!) so Andy had to anchor up allowing several cars to get by and spoiling his chance of a podium. This put me back in 2nd and a lap later this became 3rd when a Lotus Cortina of engine guru Neil Brown breezed by. I held onto 3rd until a safety car was deployed - it appeared in the track before any yellow flags so I slowed for it and was promptly passed by a 2l BMW - I assumed it would fall back when it saw the reason for me slowing but no, so I was now 4th and remained there for the rest of the race, watching Andy and an Anglia battling in my mirrors.
Sorry that I was delayed returning to the pits and missed a few folks, but thanks to all for their support. And thanks to Andy for the engine - 'mint' as they say up Manchester way!
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:18 am

Andy did indeed make a fantastic start - not that yours was exactly shabby, Simon! :lol: :wink: And I thought you had won your class but wasn't certain, so thought I'd better not say anything in case I was mistaken. But CONGRATULATIONS! 8) That is a staggering achievement!

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
kkj
Club Member: No
Car Model: Imp

Post by kkj » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:28 pm

Andy Hillman wrote: i qualified 5th car felt great, perhaps dodgy gear ratios but see what you guys think,!
Noticed that. Only one cog between second and third gear? :-)
http://historicracing-photo.blogspot.se/
chamois93

Post by chamois93 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:34 am

Great Pics IM!

Yes, lost my cross at the weekend :-) Nearly didn't... after the safety car when back in my car started making some very strange sounds... made worse by going around corners was praying for the chequered flag, as to get that final signature needed to finish 1st.. on closer inspection looks like the diff or near side brake..

though after getting the car home, was asked to see the clerk of the course!! very formal, invited into a meeting room 1-1... and told I was being excluded for a repeat offence of my transponder not working.. after much negotiation and getting them to come and see my working transponder, they finally admitted that the same thing happened to them last weekend, and my transponder was working and fitted correctly.. and I was reinstated!!

great weekend, and usual great support... looking forward to Silverstone
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:15 am

chamois93 wrote:Great Pics IM!
Thank you! :mrgreen: I enjoyed taking them. Brands Hatch is a really good place for photographing motor racing, in my opinion, especially from the in-field at Druids. 8)

I hope to make it to Silverstone too. The photographs will probably be rubbish from there, though; the fencing gets in the way just about everywhere! :roll:

EDIT - Well done on not being an official novice any more! :mrgreen:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Specialbuilder
Car Model: Coventry Climax FWM-engined Special

Post by Specialbuilder » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:36 pm

Great pics, IM.
I know this is an Imp forum, but terrific to see a Mk 1 Triumph 2000 in there!

And I love that little Lancia!

Martin
A man needs a plan....and a shed.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:38 pm

If it has wheels and burns petrol and isn't a lawnmower, I love it! 8) Well, there are a few other criteria too but I have a broad taste in motor cars. :wink:

The Imps were really flying in their race. It was a very impressive performance. :mrgreen:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison