Historic Touring Cars 2013

Information / Questions and Discussion -
Imps and Imp based Motorsport stuff from the olden days and current
chamois93
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Historic Touring Cars 2013

Post by chamois93 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:00 am

Thought I'd start a new thread to capture the whole season in one thread.. Who is going at the weekend? Looks like it'll be dry for once, fingers crossed the weather will improve, at the moment the sun is shining - maybe spring is finally on it's way!!
SimonBenoy
Car Model: 68 Stiletto, 72 G15, 67 race Imp, 3 projects

Re: Historic Touring Cars 2013

Post by SimonBenoy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:14 pm

5 Imps entered for Thruxton, same 5 as were at Donington, David 'Jenson' Heale, Andy 'Mr Shrigley' Jones, Steve Platts, Adrian Oliver and myself. All loaded up and ready to leave - hope it stops snowing soon!
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:27 pm

Good luck Impers! I'm working all weekend so will be thinking of you. :D
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
Nigel Webster (anrw)
Car Model: None currently

Post by Nigel Webster (anrw) » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:38 pm

Have a great day circuit racers from the stage rally bunch.

Regards
Nigel Webster
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:41 pm

Go Imps! Go Impers! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Have a brilliant meeting. I am hoping to be doing some routine maintenance on the Vectra tomorrow - rain, snow or hail. :wink: Or sunshine...? :?: :wink:

The best of luck to all of you. :D

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
Andy Hillman

Post by Andy Hillman » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:37 pm

Up untill now oulton park has allways been my favourite circuit, Thruxton however has to take Oultons place !
Its so fast i shudder to think what the top speed was, I had a great race coming second in class to mr benoy, behind me was Plattsey then Aidrian.
Poor david didnt have the best of days but am sure he will be back and probably even quicker!
I have just uploaded part 1 of the race, just one lap as Neil browns cortina had a nasty one right infront of me, a full retart and part 2 of the race (15mins) will be uploaded by the morning.
As allways great to see all the hillman fans out in the cold to watch the imps, see you all at Cadwell i will have the 1150cc lump in by then, Andy
ChrisBenoy
Car Model: Clan 'E' 998

Post by ChrisBenoy » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:55 pm

Its so fast i shudder to think what the top speed was
Somewhere between 115 and 118 we think.
Andy Hillman

Post by Andy Hillman » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:30 pm

Just been on reviloracing website, the gearbox ratio chart indicates a bit faster for 9200rpm with 5,05 top
19James
Car Model: '67 Imp Super

Post by 19James » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:46 am

Well done Simon on the victory :)
That was a very viscous accident Andy, just makes me glad it doesn't happen more often
Cheers, James Imp004 Imp005
James Ibbotson
Stanced '67 Imp Super Spring Special (Ex pre '65 racer)
"Low n loud"
benwick3
Car Model: Race Clan Crusader x 2

Post by benwick3 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:30 am

I think running with your brake lights on permanently is a little naughty. Bit like when unscrupilous drivers used to have them on a switch and switch them off once the race started so you could not see their braking points.

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
SimonBenoy

Post by SimonBenoy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:45 pm

Fastest laps by an Imp was 87.66 for Andy, my race average speed was 86.15, so much faster than most other circuits - awesome track, the Imp is great round there, as you will see when Andy posts his race video. Fastest race speed was 88.86 by a Mustang, though the Falcon which restarted from the back did a 91.22 fastest lap on its way to 2nd. It's tricky to know when you have reached the limit on this track, I'm sure with more practice there is more time to come.

Cheers - Simon
Andy Hillman

Post by Andy Hillman » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:40 pm

Is that the average speed simon?
Forgot in my last post to say a massive thanks to Simon Hulse, as usual he was at my my house helping with last min prep, top man !
Andy Hillman

Post by Andy Hillman » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:43 pm

Simon, just read your post again properly, oopps
19James

Post by 19James » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:59 pm

James Ibbotson
"Low n loud"
simon hulse
Car Model: ginetta g15

Post by simon hulse » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:18 pm

Thanks Andy, Had mixed feelings about Thruxton, I thought it was going to be a boring high speed procession by the Yank tanks like the super touring was on saturday. Then, when the Imp gearbox failed on the way to scrutineering and we were faced with a very cold all night rebuild I was tempted to suggest getting the entry fee back and heading to the bar.
Hats off to Andy he had the engine out by torchlight and found a simple error fixed in 5 mins, so we had it sorted and back in with plenty of time for tea in the pub.
The race was the best we have watched since Cadwell last year, it was like an episode of Gears and Tears on the startline embankment, I cannot repeat the what Gemma was shouting at John Pugsley!
David had a bad weekend destroying his engine in practice and then breaking down in the race with a rota arm failure in the race after a frantic engine change. He should have been the fourth ex formula ford champion on the podium that day with his old mate Tiff Needell.
Well done to Simon, qualified 7th, finished 7th will a good class win for Team Shrigley Engineering doing just enough to stay ahead of the Andy/ Pugsley/ Cope battle.
Cant wait till Cadwel, should have the new engine sorted by then.
eebiegeebie
Car Model: Singer Chamois Sport

Post by eebiegeebie » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:23 am

Thruxton is a long way from North Nottinghamshire, but really glad we made the effort. It was very cold standing on the bank near the chicane, but we saw some good close racing and I thought the Imps did really well on such a high speed track. Great performance by Simon who didn't seem to put a foot wrong, pity that Andy couldn't get past that very wide Anglia but entertaining nonetheless. Adrian Oliver and Steve Platts had quite a good battle with each other and did plenty of place-swapping throughout the race. Shame about David Heale, especially if it was something as daft as a rotor arm ending his race after all that work in the morning. Anyway, well done guys and thanks.
John Hall
apeximp
Car Model: .

Post by apeximp » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:20 am

What day/s are the imps running in the under 1300cc race/s next weekend ?
19James

Post by 19James » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:23 am

apeximp wrote:What day/s are the imps running in the under 1300cc race/s next weekend ?
They're running on the Sunday, I think they're doing everything on the Sunday which means that the practise is at 9 in the morning :shock:
I hope they get a good night's sleep :lol:
James Ibbotson
"Low n loud"
apeximp

Post by apeximp » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:44 pm

So is BOTH race 12 & 20 on the same day ???
SimonBenoy

Post by SimonBenoy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:57 pm

Jim

The timetable, entries etc are all on the HSCC web site, see:

http://www.hscc.org.uk/entries-event-info

All the historic touring cars are on Sunday, 2 practice sessions, 1 for up to 1300 and 1 for over 1300 and 2 races each.

Will be a busy day...

Cheers - Simon
Andy Hillman

Post by Andy Hillman » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:16 pm

Not my favourite timetable,but hey ho . Hoping for good result at cadwell, have decided to leave as a 998 so am in the same gang as the rest of the imps, Soon as the Guntons come out with their big engine i will fit mine.
If you are thinking of coming to watch and have not been before then well worth the journey, hope to see you there.
cheers Andy
19James

Post by 19James » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:18 pm

SimonBenoy wrote:Jim

The timetable, entries etc are all on the HSCC web site, see:

http://www.hscc.org.uk/entries-event-info

All the historic touring cars are on Sunday, 2 practice sessions, 1 for up to 1300 and 1 for over 1300 and 2 races each.

Will be a busy day...

Cheers - Simon
I really hope there aren't any crashes that delay the timetable causing shortened races and the like.
Should be an awesome day though :)
James Ibbotson
"Low n loud"
apeximp

Post by apeximp » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:03 pm

My sincere congratulations to Mr Simon Benoy on his out right win in the first race and his class win in race two up against the might of the V8's !!!

I so can't wait to get back out there

Jim
Gaffer
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto and an Imp project

Post by Gaffer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:07 pm

A long drive, but a fantastic day at Cadwell Park. Well done to Car number 50, Mr. Benoy and the rest of the Imps. I was proud to be an Imper. I even got a suntan :oops: well my head did :lol:
Peter.
Trying to keep the faith.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:19 am

Wow! Well done, Simon! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: That's an amazing result!

How did the other Imps fare?

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Post by bks974c » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:35 pm

Well done indeed - is that the first overall win ever for an Imp :?:

Hope for more details and video :D

Scott
Lars Hagermark
Car Model: 69 Californian (998) and two 1964 Imps (projects)
Location: 25 km s.w. of Stockholm, Sweden (overseas contact).

Post by Lars Hagermark » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:48 pm

Hurray!!! :D
bks974c wrote:Hope for more details and video :D
Scott
^^^ :wink:
Overseas contact, Sweden. -69 Cali (998), 2 -64 Imps in need of "some" work.
Life is full of solutions waiting to be found.
19James

Post by 19James » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:43 pm

Lars Hagermark(DJH705) wrote:Hurray!!! :D
bks974c wrote:Hope for more details and video :D
Scott
^^^ :wink:
Should have a video of race 1 on YouTube a bit later
James Ibbotson
"Low n loud"
SimonBenoy

Post by SimonBenoy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:40 pm

The race that I won outright was the up to 1300cc race, the bigger cars had a separate race first race. David Heale won the equivalent race last year upholding Imp honours. Sadly for David his luck has deserted him this year and after his engine failure at Thruxton, he had the transmission fail at Cadwell for the second start of the first race after taking the lead from row 2 in the first race - had it not been red flagged for a broken A40 in a dangerous place he would have had a much better weekend. Hope to see you back soon, David. Another driver having an off weekend was Pete Richards in the Clan who was beset with problems with his dry sump set up resulting in the belt coming off and retirement.
The second saloon race was an amalgamated race (due to some retirements) with the grid being based on race lap times from the first race - this meant that I started 7th, behind 4 V8s, a 2l Lotus Cortina and a Mini, with a group of Imps and Minis just behind on the grid. I made a reasonable start but couldn't gain any places so set about trying to keep with Tim Harber's Mini whilst keeping ahead of Pete Morgan's Mini. Going onto the back straight on the second lap, I managed to get alongside the Mini and stay there until we got to Park where I was on the inside and was able to take the corner ahead - I then tried to keep it tidy, leaving the Minis to fight amongst themselves. And to my surprise, they gave the up to 1300cc cars a separate podium, so I was 6th overall but also given a winner award.
A great day for me and big thanks to Andy Jones for the engine - Andy managed 2 class seconds despite having worn his tyres out completely and was really close to a podium in the first race - check the results!
steve platts

Post by steve platts » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:42 pm

2nd Race at Cadwell, in car video for you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOjL1TUIDHs last few laps missing as the camera shutter decided to close! Result was as seen in the video.

Any more in-car footage?

Regards Steve
SimonBenoy

Post by SimonBenoy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:43 pm

Steve

Fantastic action and I love the moves into the hairpin - very brave!

I still have my R1 silencer - do you want it? My new one is a Tech Craft.

Cheers - Simon
benwick3
Car Model: Race Clan Crusader x 2

Post by benwick3 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:15 pm

Congratulations to you all, particularly Simon. I said that you would win!

My problem initially was an oiled plug. Four laps to qualify on 3 cylinders put me well and truly last. That problem was sorted but as I left the holding area for the first race the belt for the external oil pump made a bid for freedom so I switched off and coasted to the pits to watch the race. Car was recovered to the scrutineering bay where another belt was fitted and the car driven back to our parking area where I was greeted by Ian Toon who had recovered the missing belt. Further investigation found the reason for the belt coming off to be a broken oil pump bracket. A quick tour of the paddock found nobody with a tig welder who could have repaired the aluminium bracket. Ian and his friends decided that they would take the bracket back home with them and hopefully repair it using a piece of steel angle bolted to the broken parts.

A phone call later confirmed that they had got it back in one piece and that Ian would be back on Sunday morning at 09.30am. True to his word the bracket was with me at 9.30 which meant I had until approximately 3.00pm to get it fitted. I had it fitted in plenty of time and as agreed we set to to warm the engine at 3.00 pm so as the be ready to change the plugs should any oiling occur. Then the fun started . The warm up plugs were replaced but the starter motor refused to work (another warranty claim Eric!) Eventually got it to co-operate but the engine was on three cylinders only and so the plugs were changed back, The starter motor was persuaded to work and then the oil pump drive belt snapped. Replaced it with a spare but had to bump start it this time. Got to the holding area and warned the marshals that I'd likely need a bump start. I did but this time I completed the out lap and took up my position at the back of the grid. When the lights went out I had a very good start but progress was stopped by the two Alfa's filling the track in front of me and then the tell tale warning by the dash of no oil pressure - snapped belt again. I coasted to the marshals post at 'Charlies' where I was asked what I was doing there as they has been listening to how good a start I'd made.

Recovered after the race to the scrutineering bay again but this time with no spare belt Brenda and I were left to push the car up the hill and back to the paddock. Thankfully some spectators took pity on us and gave us a hand. We left the car and got back just in time to watch the second Historic Saloon race. Great race by all but Mr Jones you really should invest in some tyres. Also, it's better to go past cars and not through them, even if they are Minis.

After that we were left with the problem of getting the Clan on the trailer but as usual the Imp Club came to the rescue. Thanks everyone.

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:22 am

Well done Simon and jolly bad luck Pete. An easy trick to retain belts that slip off (fan belts included if the budget doesn't stretch to deep pulleys) is a thin wire attached between the crossmember and the engine.
benwick3 wrote:Congratulations to you all, particularly Simon. I said that you would win!

Mr Jones you really should invest in some tyres. Also, it's better to go past cars and not through them, even if they are Minis.

Pete Richards
I see that Andy's been up to his usual Cadwell tricks again :lol:
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
Adrian
Car Model: Super x2 Deluxe x1 Stiletto x1 Davrian mk 6/7 x1

Post by Adrian » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:58 am

Found this footage of race 1 very well done!

cheers

Adrian
19James

Post by 19James » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:23 am

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri ... ature=plcp
My video a while to upload :roll: there is a bit of race 2 at the end aswell :)
James Ibbotson
"Low n loud"
apeximp

Post by apeximp » Wed May 01, 2013 7:38 pm

I see the HSCC web site is hopelessly out of date (only shows this years first race) on what the points situation is ?
Anybody know ?
MiniChris
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super 1972

Post by MiniChris » Sun May 05, 2013 10:05 pm

I heard through the Mini scene that Christian Devereux racing in the Historic Touring cars was killed in an accident at Donington today. I hope that none of the guys here were involved and have a safe season.
Andy Hillman

Post by Andy Hillman » Fri May 17, 2013 7:40 am

Cadwell Park fantastic place, great result for the Imps.
I do have the incar footage but need the computer to make friends with the camera so it can be uploaded to youtube, my computer whizz pal promises to come and fix soon as we are back from wedding /honeymoon.
Sadley i wont be at silverstone or snetterton to force the minis onto the grass :D
Brands Hatch looking good will have had chance to recover financially and maybe even buy some new tyres!
Meltdown, will you be out this year ?
Any news on the Guntons? will they be out with the new cast engine ? i have my 1150 ready to put in but dont want to be only oversized imp engine in class e.
Maybe sir David Heale will return with a oversized engine, hope to see you all at Brands
andy
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Fri May 17, 2013 11:41 am

Andy Hillman wrote:Cadwell Park fantastic place, great result for the Imps.
I do have the incar footage but need the computer to make friends with the camera so it can be uploaded to youtube, my computer whizz pal promises to come and fix soon as we are back from wedding /honeymoon.
Sadley i wont be at silverstone or snetterton to force the minis onto the grass :D
Brands Hatch looking good will have had chance to recover financially and maybe even buy some new tyres!
Meltdown, will you be out this year ?
Any news on the Guntons? will they be out with the new cast engine ? i have my 1150 ready to put in but dont want to be only oversized imp engine in class e.
Maybe sir David Heale will return with a oversized engine, hope to see you all at Brands
andy
Hoping to be later this year, I have other priorities imp and otherwise. Engine needs looking at since october anyway. Best of luck with the nuptials, Andy!

I'll be 'up the road' with my camera this sunday.
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Sun May 19, 2013 8:53 pm

Strange for this event I know, but Silverstone was uncannily warm today! Simon finished 4th - well done! So very nearly on the podium. Steve Platts and Adrian Oliver battled with the big boys further down the field.

65 Chamois