Fraser Imp Group 5 carburetors

Information / Questions and Discussion -
Imps and Imp based Motorsport stuff from the olden days and current
jcaudette
Club Member: No

Fraser Imp Group 5 carburetors

Post by jcaudette » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:01 pm

Does anyone know what carburetors were used on the Fraser Imps prepared to Group 5 specification? I am specifically interested in whether dual Weber 40 DCOE's were permitted and actually fitted to Imps in FIA-sanctioned races, or races sanctioned by other organizations, in events held prior to 1970.

Cheers,
Jonathan
moose
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: rally imp

Re: Fraser Imp Group 5 carburetors

Post by moose » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:11 pm

Regards Moose
Century Autosport
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:13 pm

I thought that the Fraser Imps ran Webers. For a brief spell, they tried Tecalemit Jackson mechanical fuel injection but did not gain sufficient power to make the extra complication worthwhile.

That's my recollection from what I've heard and read, so it may be inaccurate. Hopefully, one of the fonts of Imp knowledge will be along shortly to set the record straight. :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
oneofapair
Car Model: ginetta

Post by oneofapair » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:39 pm

It might be worth posting this question on ten-tenths.com,Gordon Streeter used to work for Alan Fraser as a lad and may well remember this detail .He is always looking at ten-tenths. Clive Brown also has a look now and again, he also has a healthy long term memory for things Imp.
jcaudette

Post by jcaudette » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:06 pm

Thanks very much for the link, encouragement and suggestion. I will definitely post the question on ten-tenths.

I had a look at a few of the homologation papers on the other thread, and I believe I've got these in a binder here - all with no mention of Webers. If someone knows different, please let me know because I got to opening the 33-page document and it started to spin.

Best regards,
Jonathan
Lars Hagermark
Car Model: 69 Californian (998) and two 1964 Imps (projects)
Location: 25 km s.w. of Stockholm, Sweden (overseas contact).

Post by Lars Hagermark » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:28 pm

If I'm not mistaken, group 5 regs of the 60's said manifolds and carburettors were free.
Maybe this is why homologation for Webers can't be found?
IIRC some significant revisions made us refer to group 2 and group 5 regulations as pre '69 and '69 on.
(Seem to remember that under the pre'69 regs Porsche 911s were eligible in grp2.)
Don't take my word for it, memory isn't what I once thought it was. :wink:
Overseas contact, Sweden. -69 Cali (998), 2 -64 Imps in need of "some" work.
Life is full of solutions waiting to be found.
rje

Post by rje » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:57 pm

In 1966 Fraser ran both Gp 5 and Club cars one using TJ Fuel Injection and one on Webers. In 1965 the Club car ran 38DCOE Webers. In comparing the Club and Gp 5 cars the test I have lists what differed between them but does not mention carbs, which would suggest that the Gp5 car also ran 38DCOEs but I can't be sure. The interesting thing initially about the Gp5 car was the head (semi-downdraft (?) but small valves - said to be worth an extra 5bhp but later replaced by a big valve head) which ran a 5 bearing cam Robin Human probably knows the answer to your question for sure.
John