VOLUNTEERS in MOTOR SPORT

Information / Questions and Discussion -
Imps and Imp based Motorsport stuff from the olden days and current

VOLUNTEERS in MOTOR SPORT

Postby Colin Valentine » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:54 am

Anyone interested in becoming a Marshal, Timekeeper, Scrutineer, Clerk of Course etc ???

If so then, have a look at the MSA website, and go to the VOLUNTEERS in MOTORSPORT.
Starting January the MSA organise a series of Training Days around the country.
My local one is at Askham Bryan Agric College, near York, on Sun 27 Jan.

As an IMP Club Member you are entitled to attend, but will need to Register beforehand.
There are a series of Course from New Marshal up to Clerk of Course.
They are well organised Events.
If you are interested in Racing, Rallying or lesser forms of Motorsport then Registering as a Marshal is a good way to get introduced.
I doesn't cost anything and may just motivate you to finish that IMP project which has been in the garage for too long..............

Alternatively, it may be a way to find out that Motorsport is not for you.
But at least you will know before you spend a "shed-load" of time & money preparing a car.
Colin Valentine
IMP Club Comp Secy
Colin Valentine

Club Member: Yes
Car Model: BS Nymph, Sunbeam Stiletto, Rally Imp

Re: VOLUNTEERS in MOTOR SPORT

Postby Colin Valentine » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:05 pm

Copy of MSA Press Release from the recent NEC Autosport Show. For Info. Anyone interested check out "MSA Go Motorsport".
Colin Valentine IMP Club Comp Secy

champion Shedden helps launch Year of the Volunteer at Autosport International
The Motor Sports Association (MSA), governing body of UK motor sport, launched its ‘Year of the Volunteer’ at the Autosport International show (10-13 January).
Introducing the initiative on the event’s high profile Central Stage, the MSA’s Chief Executive Colin Hilton was joined by reigning Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Champion Gordon Shedden and Richard Egger, Go Motorsport’s Regional Development Officer in the East Midlands.
“We are celebrating the invaluable work carried out by these all-too-often ‘unsung heroes’ without whom motor sport wouldn’t function, as well as showing others how they can get involved,” explained Hilton. “Every year there are more than 5,000 motor sport events staged all over the UK and, whether a 12-car rally organised by a local motor club or an international race meeting at Silverstone, they all need volunteers.”

To help launch the campaign, Egger helped to set up a special Go Motorsport display stand at the NEC showcasing all the exciting opportunities open to volunteers ranging from trackside marshals to technical scrutineers – he was keen to emphasise the desire to attract newcomers. “There’s always a need to attract more young people and that’s why it’s important to have this ‘Year of the Volunteer’,” said Egger who regularly marshals on regional rallies and motor club events. “I know from personal experience just how much job satisfaction you get – you go home with a real buzz having played your part in the successful running of an exciting event.”

“They really are a key part of the action and it really is a great way to be involved in this sport,” agreed Shedden… and the newly crowned BTCC champion knows just how valuable volunteers are to the safety and well being of competitors following a fiery incident at Snetterton last season that almost cost him his first touring car title. “My car was a bonfire and, if it hadn’t been for the swift action of some fire marshals, my season would have been over there and then,” he recalled. “Whether I won the championship or not came down to those ten seconds.”

Image: BTCC champion Gordon Shedden (l), MSA Club Development Officer Richard Egger (m) and MSA Chief Executive Colin Hilton (r) on stage at Autosport International. For high resolution imagery, please email media@msauk.org

Editor’s notes:
The Motor Sports Association (MSA) is the national governing body, responsible for the regulation and administration of four-wheeled motor sport in the UK. The MSA is a member of the world governing body, the Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) and holds a seat on the World Motor Sport Council. The MSA represents 32,000 licence holders, 15,000 volunteer marshals and officials, more than 750 member clubs and issues permits for 4,500 motor sport events every year. As a result of its commitment to developing the sport, the MSA makes significant investment in the three elements of its Whole Sport Plan: ‘Grow’ targets an increase in participation levels, ‘Sustain’ invests in the infrastructure of the sport, its clubs and its people, and ‘Excel’ focuses on training future world champions and educating their peers.
Release MSA13-004: 14 January 2013
For media information only. No regulatory value.
Colin Valentine

Car Model: BS Nymph, Sunbeam Stiletto, Rally Imp

Re: VOLUNTEERS in MOTOR SPORT

Postby onomatopoeia » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:24 pm

Since I have been inveigled into renewing my clerk's licence for 2013, I am going to the licensed officials seminar at Exeter 2nd Feb. The MSA insist those of us with officials licences attend every couple of years. I nearly got away with letting it lapse as well :lol:

Imp003 Clan004 (white Davrian)
onomatopoeia

Car Model: Singer Chamois, Davrian Mk7a, Clan Crusader

Return to Motorsport Forum