Girling 14LF alternative

Stakhanovite
Club Member: No
Car Model: Ginetta G15

Girling 14LF alternative

Post by Stakhanovite »

Does anyone know of a period alternative to the Girling 14LF calipers fitted as standard to G15s and many others? The calipers bolt spacing is 3.25". There was a 12DR caliper and an AR fitted to lots of sports racers and Elan26Rs but they're 3.5" bolt spacing (I think) Has to be period so no willwoods etc.
doc knutsen
Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Bevan replica

Re: Girling 14LF alternative

Post by doc knutsen »

My Gr 2 racing Imp back in 1978 used a set of Triumph Herald f callipers, these were iron and a bit heavier than the alloy Girling units but a lot cheaper - and they fitted straight onto the 1/4" steel adapter plates that Hartwells provided for me (similar to the Chrysler Comps ones I'm sure). These callipers used the same pads as the Girling units do.
Hth.
Englander
Car Model: '67 Sunbeam Sport, G15, Davrian

Post by Englander »

Not sure from your post why you are looking to change the std calipers.
If you are looking for an alloy alternative talk to Performance Braking (add .com for a simple website), they are handling the older girling calipers now I understand. I think there is an ally version of the 14 and the 12, they will tell you about the fittings etc.
The Std 14LF generally works well on the G15, can be bought new and there is a great range of pads for them,

Kevin
==>Why, Mr. Anderson? Why? Why do you persist?
==>Because I choose to.

Think Matrix, not Malcolm
Stakhanovite

Post by Stakhanovite »

I've bought a G15 hillclimb rolling chassis with no brakes included- just investigating what calipers would fit, and as I'm having to buy a set if there are any lighter period alternatives available. No point in buying iron if I can legally fit alloy eh. It's got a split/ bias pedal box so I can adjust as required. I know standard Girling 14LFs are perfectly good, I'm not interested in over braking it with huge alloy calipers, but if I can fit something lighter that's period that has to be good, as I have to buy something to stop it.
Englander
Car Model: '67 Sunbeam Sport, G15, Davrian

Post by Englander »

OK - As I said try Performance Braking in Monmouth for the Girling options available. There are also Alcon calipers which you can use, but these will be more complex/expensive.
Key to good braking on a G15 and anyother imp /imp based car is the rear end, if you have drums getting shoes with good friction material is essential.

Good luck - and let us know what you find.
==>Why, Mr. Anderson? Why? Why do you persist?
==>Because I choose to.

Think Matrix, not Malcolm
Stakhanovite

Post by Stakhanovite »

Thanks- do you know the Alcon ref numbers? I'll speak to Performance Braking and post the outcome
cheers
S
maguire imp
Car Model: maguire spaceframed imp

Post by maguire imp »

D14 r will fit i think same as works imps and maguire imps