Long manifold studs on a comp head

Information / Questions and Discussion -
Imps and Imp based Motorsport stuff from the olden days and current

Long manifold studs on a comp head

Postby edgedj » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:14 pm

Hi All,

I've had my head machined out with bigger ports and just got some new comp gaskets in the post. I've noticed that the new gaskets don't have the holes for the longer manifold studs and I'm wondering if this is standard for a comp head setup. I must admit the clearances would be a bit tight leaving some pretty thin bits in some spots.

If they are done away with, does anyone else do anything to support the manifolds?

Cheers
Dave
Dave Edge, BS Nymph
edgedj

Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Davrian mk6

Re: Long manifold studs on a comp head

Postby bks974c » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:48 pm

Combined manifolds don't have any provision for the long studs and don't need them as one piece manifold flange.

The long studs only work where the inlet and exhaust both have steps for the spacer. If you have these I'd punch 2 holes for the long studs and use them.

Scott
bks974c

Car Model: all the above

Postby edgedj » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:58 pm

yep, my manifolds (split C&T inlet & stainless stell turbo exhaust) both have the steps for the rocker arms - like you say it might be worth punching them out - especially as the holes will be there anyway unless I fill them in the head.
Dave Edge, BS Nymph
edgedj

Postby bks974c » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:26 pm

If the turbo hangs off the manifold with the extra weight I'd be definitely be looking to use the long studs.

Scott
bks974c

Car Model: all the above

Postby pimpdriver » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:31 pm

Dave
My Clan has the C&T inlet and a large bore janspeed exhaust. I carefully cut two the two holes required in the comp gasket and use the long studs. Took along time to get the studs and cross pieces to fit, but worth it and had no problems with them.

Eric
Eric Morrey

Rawlson Imp Turbo
'Irish' Clan
Rover 75 waft-mobile
Hillclimb Clan - Resting
Reliant Scimitar GTE se5a - Resting
pimpdriver

Car Model: Irish Clan, Luff Hillclimb Clan.

Postby benwick3 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:59 pm

I have twin Stromberg 150's and Janspeed large bore manifold on my original Clan complete with long studs and competition manifold gasket. I just fitted the gasket to the head, minus the long studs and then with a sharp tap with a small ballpein hammer in the vicinity of the missing studs the two holes were cut.

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
benwick3

Car Model: Race Clan Crusader x 2

Postby edgedj » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:13 pm

hmm, options options. I tried punching a hole one of the new gaskets and it split, oops. Good job I bought two!

I'm not sure the long clamp studs are needed with my setup because the turbo is located to the left of the starter motor and with the cantilever effect means it's actually pretty neutral on the head, probably upward pressure if anything.
Dave Edge, BS Nymph
edgedj

Postby moose » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:06 am

place a dab of copper slip around the stud hole you need to mark fit gasket, remove gasket and now the copperslip will have left a mark on the gasket, if you have one use a wad punch to knock out the hole. or for real accuracy cut down an old stud on a lathe sharpen to a point and screw home into the head you will need to turn it in the last bit with long nose pliers press home the gasket and remove punch out the correct size hole.
Regards Moose
Century Autosport
moose

Car Model: rally imp

Return to Motorsport Forum