Winter Tyres

Information / Questions and Discussion -
Imps and Imp based Motorsport stuff from the olden days and current
Colin Valentine
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: BS Nymph, Sunbeam Stiletto, Rally Imp

Winter Tyres

Post by Colin Valentine » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:19 pm

As IMP CLUB MOTOR SPORT, I have been contacted by FAIRFIELD MOTORSPORT who are offering Yokohama Winter Tyres.
These tyres have a compound which works better below 7 degrees C, so a re safer in snow & ice etc.
I haven't checked them out, so don't know if they can supply suitable tyres for Imps, but if anyone is interested then the contact info is:
Tel 01656 725000 (Aberkenfig, Bridgend)
email: info@fairfieldmotorsport.com
Colin Valentine
IMP Competition Secy
HARTWELL MK1
Car Model: 02 07 63 Hartwell IMP

Re: Winter Tyres

Post by HARTWELL MK1 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:39 pm

Have used winter tyres for the past 3 years! on the meggane. Today in all this rain, the water displacement and available grip was superb even at motorway speeds.. In fact I was slowing down due to poor visibility, not grip! In the snow and ice you pass people struggling in 4*4's with their normal tyres on.
JEFF DAY
5948 RU Hartwell Imp
LLF 519 sept 63 imp Williams car age 7
67cali
Car Model: Hillman Imp Van 1969 (G)

Post by 67cali » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:53 am

HARTWELL MK1 wrote:Have used winter tyres for the past 3 years! on the meggane. Today in all this rain, the water displacement and available grip was superb even at motorway speeds.. In fact I was slowing down due to poor visibility, not grip! In the snow and ice you pass people struggling in 4*4's with their normal tyres on.
I use Goodyear winter tyres on the BMW. Fantastic stuff and totally transforms the car on snow. With summer tyres it wheel spins easily and the back end will kick out without warning. With winter tyres, the car launchs off under heavey acceleration and you can drive dangerously fast and have good stopping power. You do need to think about other road users who are still using summer tyres.
Meerkat Pete
HARTWELL MK1

Post by HARTWELL MK1 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:45 am

[quote="67caliyou can drive dangerously fast and have good stopping power. You do need to think about other road users who are still using summer tyres.[/quote]

Its all relative If we have good grip with winter tyres are we driving dangerously? I am sure others whom we overtake think so, but we have more grip than them, so are they the dangerous ones for using their cars with summer tyres?
JEFF DAY
5948 RU Hartwell Imp
Cally

Post by Cally » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:19 am

I've been using All Season Tyres on the 'modern' ,tyres that are rated good on Tyre Websites for low temps grip, rain and snow use and have been very pleased with them. They are the modern equivalent of Town and Country type tyres. I cannot uderstand having studied these tyre comparison websites, why anyone would want to rely on the summer rated tyres we are commonly sold by tyre bays even in winter

You still have to anticipate what the idiot driving in poor conditions as if using summer roads will do!
Computer's in cars are no substitute for a poor driver driving beyond their skills range or taking dangerous risks .
Its nice to know myself I have traction and steering when the idiot slides out of control after heavy accelaration or late braking and so I have at least chance to get me and my family out of their way
Turboimp
Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Sport Turbocharged in 1983 + Clan

Post by Turboimp » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:44 am

Over the last 40 years i have managed fine with normal tyres even in those two winters when the snow was 6 feet deep in places 1981 ? was one of them when it was -20 C , Imps have that advantage with their weight distribution , i was going where only milk delivery landrovers had made it up hills , and was going up deserted hills on the wrong side of the road leaving front wheel drive cars slithering in the gutters . I made it to work 20 miles away down the M4 which was unrecognisable , 6 feet of snow and just two landrover tracks all the way, no fences visible .. The disadvantage with an imp is the steering of course , due to a lack of weight over the steering wheels to push the snow out of the way , but you manage , With winter tyres an imp should be un touchable in the snow ..

http://www.camskill.co.uk/ these do 13" winter tyres
1967 Imp Sport turbo 328000 Imp Miles , in the same car
1972 Clan Crusader 232000 clan Miles in the same car
must be some kind of record !
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 72 Deluxe

Post by bazzateer » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:02 pm

Never used winter tyres and driven all types of car in all types of weather over the years with no major problems. However, if i do retire to the Welsh countryside I will be investing in an old Landy with suitable tyres for the winter months.
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
Cally

Post by Cally » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:23 pm

I have noticed the all weather ones I use have [in my opinion] superior side tread pattern to expel water/slush etc and the compound used does work better in colder temeratures.

I agree your driving style does have a big influence in keeping control and traction, but add the winter tyre into the equation and it makes life easier. Plus some moderns ECU's shut down engine throttle under certain conditions eg where it feels wheel traction has been lost so another reason to get the winter type compound.

I've never been stuck in winter in an Imp [ used to love Goodyear G800 block tread 155's] or my Dad's old Beetle but have had problems in certain more modern cars since, a risk I manage down as far as poss. by using best tyre.

BTW Baz do you know if police garages have sets of winter tyres, I suspect they do
GURNSIMPS
Car Model: IMP SUPER//TRANSIT

Post by GURNSIMPS » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:24 pm

My imp on rb1's in the snow was awesome,I know they are the wrong compound but no hill was to steep even in the deepest snow and the braking was good too...
Loving Imps since 1963!!
bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Post by bks974c » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:55 pm

I had winter tyres on all the cars for the last two years and there is a significant improvement to be had in poor conditions, I never took them off the Skoda this year and considering the poor summer we had, there was probably only two months when there was not the water about to justify keeping them on. The main benefit imho is the better braking and steering offered in poor conditions as thats whats going to keep you out of trouble rather than improved traction.

I've found having driven on roads that were allegedly closed due to snow and were impassible (getting home in the winter when working away) that it is possible to do so with summer tyres. The big problem is when a vehicle gets stuck everything behind it grinds to a halt usually involving an incline and rush hour - very difficult to get past.

30+ years ago the Imp on G800 M+S got me out of trouble twice in snow on the same day - on the way to work car coming the opposite lost control and slid onto my side, I had to drive round it up the pavement over the grass and back onto the road. They were extremely grateful I did :wink:
On the way home bus stuck half way up a long steep hill with long que behind it - I just drove past everything through the snow in the middle of the road.

Scott
Brownlie1985
Car Model: 1971 Imp Deluxe

Post by Brownlie1985 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:51 pm

Who make the rb1 tyre ? Looks nice and chunky and better all round.

The winter continental tyres I used on 4x4 sprinter were terrible and we switched to bf goodrich which was like night and day. Was surprised at a mud tyre being better. The winter tyres were only OK when it was below freezing, no good on slush.
67cali
Car Model: Hillman Imp Van 1969 (G)

Post by 67cali » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:59 pm

HARTWELL MK1 wrote:[quote="67caliyou can drive dangerously fast and have good stopping power. You do need to think about other road users who are still using summer tyres.
Its all relative If we have good grip with winter tyres are we driving dangerously? I am sure others whom we overtake think so, but we have more grip than them, so are they the dangerous ones for using their cars with summer tyres?[/quote]
When I say dangerously fast, I mean that your car has full control, but if someone on summer tyres follows you as you fly down an icy road, thinking that if your car can handle the road, they can, it could cause an accident. Yes, its their fault, but its arguable that you gave them a false sense of security.
Meerkat Pete
Englander
Car Model: '67 Sunbeam Sport, G15, Davrian

Post by Englander » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:07 pm

I was converted to winter tyres about 20 years ago, in a Golf 2 struggling to get to the tyre fitters on good summer tyres, got some new winter tyres fitted to my other rims, as some one else said - like day and night. The only really poor performers I had were also Contintentals like Brownlie, funny they always get the best write-ups in the tests here.
I shop around to get a good brand, it may sound expensive, but in the overall running costs it is only a little more.
The winter tyres go on after the first frost, I get around in all weathers here - main limitation is when the snow gets too deep under the car, then its more like snowboarding :shock: ....and the MX 5 does great doughnuts (closed roads of course).

Kevin
==>Why, Mr. Anderson? Why? Why do you persist?
==>Because I choose to.

Think Matrix, not Malcolm
GURNSIMPS
Car Model: IMP SUPER//TRANSIT

Post by GURNSIMPS » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:08 am

Brownlie1985 wrote:Who make the rb1 tyre ? Looks nice and chunky and better all round.

The winter continental tyres I used on 4x4 sprinter were terrible and we switched to bf goodrich which was like night and day. Was surprised at a mud tyre being better. The winter tyres were only OK when it was below freezing, no good on slush.
rb1's are maxsport mate.
Loving Imps since 1963!!
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 72 Deluxe

Post by bazzateer » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:19 am

Cally wrote:BTW Baz do you know if police garages have sets of winter tyres, I suspect they do
Not in the Met Steve, but I'd imagine some of the more rural areas do.
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
Rod

Post by Rod » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:12 am

I'm a bit confused by all this winter tyre/summer tyre business which has come up just recently. Of course years ago I ran the rally cars on Goodyear Ultragrips (well worn 175-12 on an Imp not a bad tarmac tyre!) Pirelli or Colway M + S but these "winter" tyres mainly look to have non M + S type treads so what sort of advantage can they really offer in snow? OK it's a compound thing but I'm not really sure I would expect a non-knobbly tyre to be a "winter" tyre.

So far as a road car is concerned I've always used good quality round black things irrespective of season and retain a sneaking suspicion that "winter" tyres are a bit of a marketing ploy.

Having said all that the Citroen BX4x4 I had was fitted as standard with some "semi-knobbly" Michelins which were I believe virtually exclusive to the car. Never had any arguments with their grip but that car was truly incredible on snow. Not that we had a lot when I owned it but it felt just like a normal dry road.
Imp022
RallyeCallye

Member no. 8, bought first Imp 1971. Owned 7 or 8 lost count!
Lotus-e-Clan
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:36 pm

It's a combination of using a cold/wet rubber compound that continues to grip at temps below 7C, 100's of extra "sipes" and a groove profile that will reject snow yet retain some grip and progress in snow AND has still will grip and corner safely in the dry. Ie it's a compromise that works as a general purpose winter tyre.

Despite other posters findings, I've found the latest iteration of the Conti Winter Contact tyre to work well on our 2WD family Mazda automatic. They brake shorter on cold roads and have got us up our 1 in 5 entry road where the summer Kulmo's had no chance. I noticed that if you use them for too long in temps above 13C the rubber degrades in the shoulder as the compound overheats which adds weight to the fact they are a cold weather compound and should be removed in spring.
Conti winter contact

Clan004
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
Members & partners who like to knit go to http://knitowl.co.uk
mikeyhearne
Car Model: B.S. Nymph

Post by mikeyhearne » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:26 pm

i think the winter tyre thing has spead across from Europe where ther are compulsary in some countrys, Germany being one.
My dad bought a set last year for his VW camper that he uses as his every day car , the weather didn't get bad enough for him to bother fitting them , there still in the shed
I find that if the weather is that bad I just stay at home .
nothing is IMPossible with the right attitude and a BIG hammer
HARTWELL MK1

Post by HARTWELL MK1 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:49 pm

mikeyhearne wrote:I find that if the weather is that bad I just stay at home .
I wish but being self employed, I have to get to my destination!
JEFF DAY
5948 RU Hartwell Imp
james
Car Model: Imp caledonian

Post by james » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:59 pm

mikeyhearne wrote:the weather didn't get bad enough for him to bother fitting them
They will show an improvement in almost all conditions at temps below ~7C, not just in snowy or icy conditions.
Brownlie1985

Post by Brownlie1985 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:35 am

james wrote:
mikeyhearne wrote:the weather didn't get bad enough for him to bother fitting them
They will show an improvement in almost all conditions at temps below ~7C, not just in snowy or icy conditions.
That may be what the manufacturer states, but certainly not what we found. When it came to snow and ice they performed only marginally better than normal tyres. And in some cases vehicles performed worse with winter tyres than the town and county style. My company has done trials and we have concluded that winter tyres are false economy and offer little gain for the expense. We switched to BF Goodrich mud terrains and they are by far better all rounders offering same properties in terms of non clogging, grip in slush, hybrid compound, and general grip. Not to mention thicker side walls. We did extensive tests on rural wind farms and this is now our choice tyre on 560 vehicles.
keanej
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super

Post by keanej » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:02 pm

[quote=That may be what the manufacturer states, but certainly not what we found. .............[/quote]

What type of vehicle and tyre are being compared ?

I have driven Saab's for 30 years and based on past experience in the 80's on Michellins I would have said they would go anywhere however my latest 9-5 with wide low profile tyres is useless so I have been considering winter tyres.

Also looking forward to taking the Imp out in the snow - the last time I did that was the winter or 79 / 80 when we had proper snow and what fun it was !
John
Rover P4 + P6
Imp Super
Saab 99L
Sandbach, Cheshire
Brownlie1985

Post by Brownlie1985 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:17 am

Mercedes Sprinter 4x4, Toyota Hilux, Ford Ranger, Mitsubish L200.
All had continental contact winter tyres.
Now use bfgoodrich mud terrain on all.
HARTWELL MK1

Post by HARTWELL MK1 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:13 pm

I think the discussion was more about lighter car tyres!
JEFF DAY
5948 RU Hartwell Imp