Silverstone Finals

Information / Questions and Discussion -
Imps and Imp based Motorsport stuff from the olden days and current

Silverstone HSCC

Postby 19James » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:20 pm

Hi everyone
I couldnt find a thread about today so if there is one please delete this and i will post in the correct thread.
Today was really good, the Historic saloons certainly had the most exciting race.
The three Imps of Simon Benoy, David Heale and Andy Jones were really close for a number of laps which was easily the best battle going on on the track.
The video demonstrates this :wink:
Well done everyone, Can't wait for next years season :D
Cheers, James Imp004 Imp005
James Ibbotson
Stanced '67 Imp Super Spring Special (Ex pre '65 racer)
"Low n loud"
19James

Club Member: Yes
Car Model: '67 Imp Super

Silverstone Finals

Postby Andy Hillman » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:22 pm

Congratulations to David Heale for winning class E overall points champion 2012!
Interesting day today, the lap times given out after a wet practice were totally up the wall, making a very interesting start to the race, i qualified 6th but should have been more like 16th Plattsey qualified 3rd but should have been 23rd ha ha ,Anyway the day dried out by lunch and the sun came out. The race started at 3.30 ish after a short delay caused by a flying formula junior ! we all saw this potentially nasty accident from the dummy grid area flashing lights ambulances etc brings it all home that motorsport can be dangerous, with this in mind i thought it would give me a chance to make some extra places up whilst sensible people took caution, big mistake as the race started i was overtaken left right center, blocked in tight amongst some minis and anglis i saw this blue imp no97 oap scoot around all 4 of us on 3 wheels! I took chase and followed for around 3 laps i could see where i could make my dive up the inside but refrained as no97 oap only needed 2 points to take the class and he is quite a nice chap! anyway the two cars in front of David crashed out nealy taking him and myself with them, no 97 had to take to the grass to avoid collision, leaving open road for me to clear off, great i thought this is in the bag now all i have to do do is keep it neat and tidy till the end and i will get a trophy. Well that would have been but for a intermitent electrical fault that caused my engine to start limiting itself to 8,000rpm ! it was not long before i could see Mr Benoy and no 97 oap hoovering me up in the rear view mirror, previously i had been pulling 9400rpm in 5th so realised i was fighting a losing battle as the both came past along with an alfa and anglia. Mr Benoy and no97 went on to finish the race well up the field, Benoy taking the victory from a relieved no 97.
I have officially fell out with my imp, i have left him on the trailer no garage treats for hillman tonight ! still drove back with a smile on my face so will make friends in the morning.
Great to see so many imp fans made it to today we have the best supported cars in the series. ta ta Andy
Andy Hillman

Car Model: Singer Chamois

Re: Silverstone Finals

Postby ImpManiac » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:27 pm

Jonesey getting his Imp sideways, as ever! :mrgreen: I wish I could have been there. Sounds like a fun time was had. I would love to have been there cheering you lot on too but other things intervened. :wink: Next season, though. :D

Congratulations to David! :mrgreen: Fabulous! Great video, James. :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
ImpManiac

Postby 19James » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:13 am

Got a few pictures
Steve Platts' car was looking really smart.
The formula junior :( The battle he was having with the other car was really entertaining before they tangled wheels.
Flame! :D
Nick on three wheels :)
Andy, David and Simon
Cheers, James Imp004 Imp005
James Ibbotson
Stanced '67 Imp Super Spring Special (Ex pre '65 racer)
"Low n loud"
19James

Car Model: '67 Imp Super

Postby SimonBenoy » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:32 pm

A fantastic end to the season for me, a most enjoyable race with several cars as well as the other Imps. Shame that Andy and David has some niggley problems later in the race. Just went to have a look at the video, only to find that I hadn't put the memory card back in the camera, so no pictures of me hassling the minis and alfa and lapping a couple of V8s! On one lap at Luffield, David and I both lapped a V8, one each side :lol:

Conratulations to David on winning the class after some great scraps through the year and great to see so many Impers enjoying the day.

Thanks to James for the video and pictures.

Cheers - Simon
SimonBenoy

Car Model: 68 Stiletto, 72 G15, 67 race Imp, 3 projects

Postby chamois93 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:39 am

Great day on Saturday, agree with Andy’s comments about the comradery and support amongst the Imp drivers and supporters. The paddock had a real end of term feel about it, with everyone being there with or without their cars. Great racing, especially watching David and Simon either side of a gaggle of back markers through Luffield. Congratulations to David on winning the championship.

Had an excellent 1st year, and want to thank everyone for their support throughout the year – really looking forward too next year, only hope we have a least one dry race  Had great expectations of sunny race weekends, but think Cadwell and Brands definitely dispelled that dream.
chamois93

Postby Andy Hillman » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:43 pm

Just found this incar video on youtube, worth a giggle "HSCC ByBox Touring Cars Silverstone Finals 2012 Tim Harber" check David Heale's style out on the second corner, awesome!
Andy Hillman

Postby apeximp » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:53 pm

Andy , a mini looked like the thing to have in the wet !!!
apeximp

Car Model: .

Postby Andy Hillman » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:03 pm

That or new tires pal
Andy Hillman

Postby apeximp » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:47 pm

Mmm yep that will be it then ! :D

That u finished racing till next year now or got any tests etc lined up ?

Jim
apeximp

Car Model: .

Postby SimonBenoy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:00 pm

Jim

You would not believe how slippery it was in qualy - you had to try it - it was worse than normal wet conditions, even though it wasn't raining. But the race was a different matter - you wouldn't want one of those rattley, understeery 1300cc cars then - we race Imps because thay are fun to race and have a proper engine.

I have a spare FIA spec tank if you are still in need.

Cheers - Simon
SimonBenoy

Car Model: 68 Stiletto, 72 G15, 67 race Imp, 3 projects

Postby Andy Hillman » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:22 pm

I Agree, big lump of pig iron sat up at one end ! thats why they need an extra 380cc to keep with the hillmans ha ha
Jim - not playing out again till next year, this wedding job is killing the hillman fund!
Andy Hillman

Postby Timbeckett » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:12 am

Re the above comments on handling I think this picture illustrates what I love about Imps - each car beautifully poised through Luffield. There's more photos at www.timbeckettphotography.com
just click on the Silverstone Oct 12 Gallery
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb4 ... G_0425.jpg
Timbeckett

Car Model: No Imp owned

Postby ImpManiac » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:19 pm

Timbeckett wrote:Re the above comments on handling I think this picture illustrates what I love about Imps - each car beautifully poised through Luffield.

Got to agree. :D This plus a truly fantastic engine is why Imps punch way above their weight in competition. :wink: Fabulous photos, as always, Tim. 8)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
ImpManiac

Return to Motorsport Forum