1972 Tour of Mull Rally

Information / Questions and Discussion -
Imps and Imp based Motorsport stuff from the olden days and current
brakedisc
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Clan Crusader, Sunbeam Imp Sport

1972 Tour of Mull Rally

Post by brakedisc » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:40 am

With the Tour of Mull this weekend I thought it worthwhile mentioning that it is 40 years since Alan Conley and Crawford Dunn won this event in a Clan Crusader. The roads of Mull are always demanding and in 1972 the rally was a much longer event than the one we know and love today. As a Clan owner in period and now the custodian of 4 Clans including two competition cars, I still find it incredible that such an underpowered car, with an engine not known for its reliability, could go the distance and win such a tough event. A fantastic achievement for all involved.

I was hoping to take part this year in a Clan I have built but a damaged back, broken leg and my sons passing out parade put paid to that idea. To say I am gutted is an understatement.
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 72 Deluxe

Re: 1972 Tour of Mull Rally

Post by bazzateer » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:41 am

brakedisc wrote:I was hoping to take part this year in a Clan I have built but a damaged back, broken leg and my sons passing out parade put paid to that idea. To say I am gutted is an understatement.
Admit it, the back and leg you could have coped with, but no way could you miss your son's passing out! :D
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
benwick3
Car Model: Race Clan Crusader x 2

Post by benwick3 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:59 am

Amazingly I had a look at the edition of Autosport with the result of that actual event last week and it also contains an article on the Clan along with details of all of the dealers.

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Post by bks974c » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:16 am

Alan and the actual Clan were at Mull a couple of years ago to celebrate the Tours 40th.

Scott