Imps in a relay race - 14th Oct at Snetterton

Information / Questions and Discussion -
Imps and Imp based Motorsport stuff from the olden days and current

Imps in a relay race - 14th Oct at Snetterton

Postby SimonBenoy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:40 am

After deciding that the Birkett relay probably wasn't for us this year, Chris had a look around and discovered that the MG Car Club run a relay race over 4 hours on the Snetterton 200 circuit, so I applied for a team entry and we were accepted.

So Adrian Oliver, Andy Jones, myself and hopefully, a fourth Imp will be taking part next Sunday against a wide selection of other cars, including some MGs, Morgans etc., but not a load of teams of Caterhams and similar that seem to dominate the Birkett at present. We will still probably be one of the slowest teams on scratch but the race is handicapped, so if we go well, that should enable us to improve our position a bit.

The race starts at 13:30 on Sunday, though the meeting is a 2 day event throughout Saturday and Sunday.

Cheers - Simon

AndyJones001 AndyJones001 AndyJones001 AndyJones001
SimonBenoy

Club Member: Yes
Car Model: 68 Stiletto, 72 G15, 67 race Imp, 3 projects

Re: Imps in a relay race - 14th Oct at Snetterton

Postby bazzateer » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:15 pm

When you say "next Sunday" do you mean this Sunday (14th) or next Sunday (21st)?
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
bazzateer

Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 72 Deluxe

Postby SimonBenoy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:16 pm

Check out the title :lol: :lol:
SimonBenoy

Postby bazzateer » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:31 pm

Doh!!! :oops: :lol:

That's this Sunday then. Working I'm afraid.
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
bazzateer

Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 72 Deluxe

Postby HARTWELL MK1 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:32 pm

SimonBenoy wrote:Check out the title :lol: :lol:

Baz in his work mode :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
JEFF DAY
5948 RU Hartwell Imp
LLF 519 sept 63 imp Williams car age 7
HARTWELL MK1

Car Model: 02 07 63 Hartwell IMP

Postby SimonBenoy » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:25 pm

And I can confirm that we have a 4th car, Mike Dowsett is joining us in his Masters spec car - roll on the Pesky Imps!
SimonBenoy

Postby pimpdriver » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:15 pm

Simon
Do you need any help on the Sunday ??. I can't make it on Saturday unfortunately.

Eric
Eric Morrey

Rawlson Imp Turbo
'Irish' Clan
Rover 75 waft-mobile
Hillclimb Clan - Resting
Reliant Scimitar GTE se5a - Resting
pimpdriver

Car Model: Irish Clan, Luff Hillclimb Clan.

Postby SimonBenoy » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:02 pm

Hi Eric - all our activity (except perhaps scrutineering) is on Sunday and your presence would be much appreciated. I will try to sort you a ticket.

Cheers - Simon
SimonBenoy

Postby Andy Hillman » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:42 am

Hi Eric, if you have any of your starter motors in stock can you bring me a couple on sunday ? thanks andy
Andy Hillman

Car Model: Singer Chamois

Postby ImpManiac » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:15 pm

Perhaps :? a bit late in the day but the very best of luck to the Pesky Imps. 8) I hope all the drivers, support crew and spectators have a brilliant day! I'd love to be there but am fighting off a nasty cold or 'flu at the moment, plus I have other commitments. Maybe next time. :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
ImpManiac

Postby GURNSIMPS » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:49 am

Good luck to you all,have a great day.
Paul,its only a cold when the ladies get it,its manflu for us everytime mate! :lol:
Loving Imps since 1963!!
GURNSIMPS

Car Model: IMP SUPER//TRANSIT

Postby ibbo » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:30 pm

Cheers, James Imp004 Imp005
mark ibbotson
ibbo

Club Member: No
Car Model: .

Postby SimonBenoy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:51 pm

Well, I'm very pleased to say that a good day was had by all! This was an excellent event, we were made very welcome by the MG Car Club who were running the event and despite a huge variation in the speed of the cars, I'm not aware of any incidents. Just over half the race was dry and although we were one of the slower teams on outright pace, there were still a number of teams that we could race with. Most teams were on modern tyres, so to be able to pass them on our historic crossplies was great fun!

Mike Dowsett started for us in his Masters spec car and had a nice consistent run for the first 30 minutes. Next up was Adrian Oliver who was clearly enjoying himself, passing a few cars and getting the Imps noticed. I went our for the 3rd 30 minutes and also had a very enjoyable session. I was following an MGB V8 which was able to pull some distance on the straights but I was able to close back up a bit in the twisty bits. One lap, I was close going in to Coram, a long fast corner that tightens and was able to pass around the outside (cue big grin) - of course, it was short lived and he went back past up the start straight, but it had to be done! With dark clouds looming, we elected to send Mike out for the 4th stint, as he doesn't like the wet - I realise that this doesn't compute, as all other Imp drivers like the wet, but it is true, so Mike had another trouble free run and then was able to relax though he was on standby at the end of the event in case of problems.

Andy Jones went out for his first stint next and entertained us with a quick spin on cold tyres! Regrettably, the spin dislodged a plastic pipe, so we were asked to bring Andy in for a scrutineer check after about 10 minutes and Adrian was sent out for his second stint. During this stint, it started to rain and gave Adrian the chance for some entertaining slides - we would normally expect this to help the Imps but some teams were able to change onto proper wets and there was no way to compete with them. However, we started to take note now of the team of Metros that were in our class - it was tight, even though they were having a few issues. Adrian continued to enjoy himself and lapped consistently in the testing conditions. I took over from Adrian and also continued to have a lot of fun, able to pass a few cars though it seemed that there were more teams now that seemed faster then I could go. I had just started the countdown to the end of my session (Chris gave us 5,4,3,2,1 laps to go and then an IN board) when I had the engine cut briefly, and decided to pit rather than risk a breakdown on track. Andy was ready to take over and ran cleanly until 10 minutes from the end, Adrian completing our race.

We were helped out by Chris, Kimberley & Robin, Mark and James Ibbotson, Roger Swift, Eric Morrey, Simon Hulse, many thanks to all of them and to the driver's partners. Lots of people showed interest in the cars and as is traditional at these events, we attended the prize giving. We had finished 16th on handicap, but more importantly, we had beaten the Metro Sexuals team and so won a class award to end a very enjoyable day. Hopefully, someone will post a few pics or some video.

Cheers - Simon
SimonBenoy

Postby Lars Hagermark » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:35 pm

Well done by all of you! :D
Overseas contact, Sweden. -69 Cali (998), 2 -64 Imps in need of "some" work.
Life is full of solutions waiting to be found.
Lars Hagermark

Location: 25 km s.w. of Stockholm, Sweden (overseas contact).
Car Model: 69 Californian (998) and two 1964 Imps (projects)

Postby Andy Hillman » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:40 am

Great days racing really really enjoyed been back out in the car, cant wait for silverstone finals next sunday hope it rains again ! I have to say that the team endurance events are very good value for money and no hanging around waiting for your race, allways on the go. I would definately want to to another when the opportunity rises.
Big thanks to all the people who made it possible, especially Chris Benoy our team manager who stood on the pit wall for 4 hours making sure we were allways ready for our next stint. cheers andy
Andy Hillman

Postby Adrian » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:15 am

Great day indeed and thanks to Chris, kimberly and and all the helpers that made the day go so well!

Much better than the Birkett, I found you can spend the time enjoying the drive and not worrying about panel bashers in hot hatches.

Had a very good dice with an midget and several other cars and a laugh at a Honda civic in the wet, It shot by on the straight and fell off on the corners at least 4 times in my stint.

Cheers

Adrian
Adrian

Car Model: Super x2 Deluxe x1 Stiletto x1 Davrian mk 6/7 x1

Postby bks974c » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:44 am

Well done, nice to hear of a good run without major problems :D

Scott
bks974c

Car Model: all the above

Postby ImpManiac » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:45 pm

Awesome! :mrgreen: Well done to the Impers and their supporters.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
ImpManiac

Postby ChrisBenoy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:15 pm

My life was made very easy by the 4 drivers doing a great job, all of the lap times were fast and consistent even in some pretty wet conditions. The pit stop change overs were very slick unlike a lot of other teams. We managed to do a passable attempt at looking professional.

My sister did her usual good job of organising the drivers in the pit garage while watched what was going on from the put wall. Massive thanks to everyone who came along to support and help out. The imp club is spot on for that.

Happy to say that we put imps on the map as far as the MG car club are concerned, they seemed very impressed with our efforts and we were made to feel very welcome.

Its the first time i've ever gotten a trophy for standing around watching cars drive past :lol:

:D :D :D

AndyJones001
ChrisBenoy

Car Model: Clan 'E' 998

Return to Motorsport Forum