Mini/Imp Rally Challenge?

Information / Questions and Discussion -
Imps and Imp based Motorsport stuff from the olden days and current
Rod
Club Member: Yes

Mini/Imp Rally Challenge?

Post by Rod » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:14 am

The eagle-eyed amongst us may have spotted mention of a possible Mini/Imp challenge in a Historic Rally Car Register advertisement in Motorsport News. Apparently part of a new stage rally series to be attached to the Historic Rally Car Championship. Cannot find any more info here or on the HRCR website. Does anyone know any more about it?
Imp022
RallyeCallye

Member no. 8, bought first Imp 1971. Owned 7 or 8 lost count!
Nigel Webster (anrw)
Car Model: None currently

Re: Mini/Imp Rally Challenge?

Post by Nigel Webster (anrw) » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:11 am

Rod
Even registered members of the BHRC know no more than that contained in the Motorsport News ad. A little bit of chit chat on the British Rally Forum but I suspect both the BHRC/HRCR and de Lacy Motor Club/Roger Albert Clark organisers are waiting for each other to declare their hands before releasing too much detail. Two separate historic championships competing for entries can only harm UK stage rallying! An Imp / Mini Championship sounds good but it would be even better if we could coax out some Minis to run with us in the 1000 cc class! There is talk that the Sunseeker (to be in the Autumn of 2013 and on the same day as the Cambrian!) will be part of the BHRC but it has a reputation of being quite rough. It would however be good to have a round in the South within easy access of some of the Southern Imp Club members.

I'll post here more news on the subject when I hear it.

Regards
Nigel Webster
Rod

Post by Rod » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:28 am

Hi Nigel, it seems like an interesting idea, I thought you and Geoff may have had something to do with it. The whole idea of two different organisations trying to run high profile historic championships sounds like a recipe for disaster unless they can slot in together, say one doing Cat 1 and2 and the other 3 & the new into the '80's idea, presumably Cat 4. I suspect that HRCR as well as trying to get more Cat 1 cars out are trying to fill the smaller classes in Cat 2 &3 where Minis & Imps could run.

I've marshalled on the Friday shakedown stage of the Sunseeker a couple of times and certainly that stage was pretty rough, cut up quite badly as well which always used to be a failing of Wareham Forest. I'm surprised they're moving to Autumn.
Imp022
RallyeCallye

Nigel Webster (anrw)

Post by Nigel Webster (anrw) » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:51 pm

There are few details out and particularly about any Imp / Mini Challenge but the dates for the British Historic Rally Championship and the Historic Stage Rally Challenge have been published:-

1 Mid-Wales Stages Rally Gravel Newtown March 3rd
2 Bulldog Historic Rally Gravel Welshpool April 6th
3 Pirelli Historic Rally Gravel Carlisle May 4th
4 Jim Clark Rally Asphalt Duns June 1st / 2nd
5 Severn Valley Stages Gravel Builth Wells June 15th
6 Harry Flatters Rally Asphalt Epynt July 28th
7 Ulster Historic Rally Asphalt Antrim August 23rd / 24th
8 Rallye Sunseeker Gravel Poole October 19th / 20th

Reserve Colin McRae Stages Gravel Aberfeldy October 5th

It is too early to predict what we will do next year and Geoff and I need to liaise about it but I think the 'other' championship will have to pull something big out of the bag to beat this line up!

Regards
Nigel Webster
Turboimp
Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Sport Turbocharged in 1983 + Clan

Post by Turboimp » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:40 pm

Anybody entering an Imp or Clan in the Wyedean Rally next February ? A great first major rally of the season based at chepstow racecourse very well organised with around 180 entries and quite compact with not too far to travel on this one day rally.
Using the famous stages in the forest of dean and chepstow park woods and likely a stage around the racecourse itself .
there was a historic class last year .
http://www.wyedeanrally.com/ Imp009 Clan005
Attachments
IMP WYEDEAN small.jpg
1967 Imp Sport turbo 328000 Imp Miles , in the same car
1972 Clan Crusader 232000 clan Miles in the same car
must be some kind of record !
Rod

Post by Rod » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:38 pm

From the HRCR news email:
Imp022

Clubmans Stage Championship for 2013
As we went to press the Committee were pleased to have received approval from the MSA for the HRCR Challenge, this will be a National B Clubman's championship for HRCR members. Based on the existing HRCR Challenge but with some exciting innovations for 2013. The championship will be open to Category 1,2 and 3 cars with a maximum of two valves per cylinder, and will incorporate the Mini Cup and to celebrate 50 years of the Imp there will be an a new award the Imp 50 Cup. We have received a concession from the MSA to allow the Minis and Imps to run with category 1 irrespective of their age, more details will follow soon.
RallyeCallye

ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:21 pm

^^ That sounds rather cool! :D I quite fancy having a bash at some of the HRCR events.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
Nigel Webster (anrw)

Post by Nigel Webster (anrw) » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:41 am

See my post on this subject in the British Historic Rally Championship 2013 thread.
Nigel Webster