Brands Hatch 'Bybox' Indy 2012

Information / Questions and Discussion -
Imps and Imp based Motorsport stuff from the olden days and current
chamois93
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Brands Hatch 'Bybox' Indy 2012

Post by chamois93 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:52 am

Timetable has been posted on the HSCC site, but no entry list as yet http://www.hscc.org.uk/resources/Brands ... 0100912.pd . I'm planning on being there, found my post Oulton Park cabin smell - battery had expanded nearly too twice the size and was leaking!!!

New battery, and New Voltage Regulator to fit to the Alternator - and hopefully that's all the preparition needed.
tzarrobin
Car Model: Imp Super

Re: Brands Hatch 'Bybox' Indy 2012

Post by tzarrobin » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:29 pm

Hi,

You need to add an 'f' to end of your link.

http://www.hscc.org.uk/resources/Brands ... 100912.pdf

Cheers

Robin
'66 1220cc EFI Imp Super
'70 Skoda S100 (almost ready to return to the road)
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 72 Deluxe

Post by bazzateer » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:57 pm

Can't make this weekend's endurance race but should be there for the Bybox.
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
graham_h_miller
Car Model: Hillman Husky

Post by graham_h_miller » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:40 pm

chamois93 wrote:Timetable has been posted on the HSCC site, but no entry list as yet http://www.hscc.org.uk/resources/Brands ... 0100912.pd . I'm planning on being there, found my post Oulton Park cabin smell - battery had expanded nearly too twice the size and was leaking!!!

New battery, and New Voltage Regulator to fit to the Alternator - and hopefully that's all the preparition needed.
Happens to the best of them - Seb Vettel bailed out of the Italian Grand Prix before his battery went flat due to an alternator problem...
Let's have a little talk about tweetle beetles...
chamois93

Post by chamois93 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:51 am

11 Imps entered at Brands - Nick, Andy, Simon, Adrian, Jon, Vince, Stuart, Steve, Shaun, David and Ian... should be a great race\day
impmann
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Post by impmann » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:39 pm

graham_h_miller wrote:
Happens to the best of them - Seb Vettel bailed out of the Italian Grand Prix before his battery went flat due to an alternator problem...
Best? :shock: :roll:
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
bazzateer

Post by bazzateer » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:09 pm

Re Vettel, I understand when he and Di Resta were teammates in equal cars in a lesser formula Di Resta was the better driver. Put him in a Red Bull alongside Seb and ??????
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:23 pm

bazzateer wrote:Re Vettel, I understand when he and Di Resta were teammates in equal cars in a lesser formula Di Resta was the better driver. Put him in a Red Bull alongside Seb and ??????
You can say this about many of the 'greats' - Frentzen was better than Schumacher until he pinched his fiancee... Damon Hill had the better car but could thrash the rest of the field on two wheels any day... and David Coulthard can beat me in a go-kart but I can beat Tim 'lard arse' Harvey. For me, since he could beat anyone in anything with four wheels given a familiarity day including group B cars, Ayrton Senna was and very likely always will be the man to beat :D
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
Lotus-e-Clan
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:16 am

The issue for me is that the "fastest" F1 drivers can't prove that they are indeed "the fastest" under the current formula. All too often they can't use the full potential of the car at key points in the race; either because they can't attack corners aggressively due to "tyre deg" or that they have to constantly switch engine modes to prevent excessive fuel use or to prevent even more tyre deg etc.

The pressure on them to behave like remote controlled race car "technical operatives" rather than free-thinking autonomous racing drivers, makes it difficult to assess relative driving ability. ie At any given time some of the drivers are having to hold back. So for example you can have a period of Kimi being told to hold the horses (IIRC at a key point at the end of the last race he frustratedly radioed something like "if only I could use full power") whilst Sergio is free to drive the socks off his car etc.
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
Members & partners who like to knit go to http://knitowl.co.uk
impmann
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Post by impmann » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:12 pm

Chaps,

You are missing the subtly of what I said... "Best?"

Best to me implies that the individual involved is the *best* at everything - and one thing that Seb is NOT and that is a good sportsman. Admittedly there are worse out there right now, but he certainly isn't the 'best' sportsman on the F1 grid by a country mile.

Best sportsman F1 driver of all time - now thats a question... it certainly wouldn't be Seb, Sennapod, nor Schumy. My vote would be Hunt (refer Lauda's crash) or David Purley (look him up, kids)... but its very subjective.

Anyway... sorry for the thread hijack 8)
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
bazzateer

Post by bazzateer » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:50 pm

Moss? I've read a few accounts of his sportsmanship actually costing him a championship or two, no sour grapes though.
pubcrawler
Car Model: 1965 Hillman Imp, 1971 Austin Healey Sprite MkIV

Post by pubcrawler » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:49 am

Anyway back to the origonal thread :lol: , thinking of making the journey down from the Midlands :o . Looks a good entry list with all those Imps 8) . Can the public gain access to the paddock for photo's :?:
Owner of the Green Heartbeat Imp from Aidensfield!
Martin Parkes.
chamois93

Post by chamois93 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:55 am

The paddock is definately open, to get to the pit garages (where the touring cars are) you might need to go under the tunnel by the start finish line, or they may let you through the tunnel from the paddock. I definately got through the tunnel on the start finish line last year, the entrance is just in front of the toilets...
pubcrawler

Post by pubcrawler » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:57 pm

Looking like a wet Sunday :roll: , must remember to pack waterproofs and brolly :lol:
Martin Parkes.
19James
Car Model: '67 Imp Super

Post by 19James » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:01 am

pubcrawler wrote:Looking like a wet Sunday :roll: , must remember to pack waterproofs and brolly :lol:
With it being wet, I'm guessing it will give the smaller cars even more of a chance.
Should be awesome :D
Cheers, James Imp004 Imp005
James Ibbotson
Stanced '67 Imp Super Spring Special (Ex pre '65 racer)
"Low n loud"
bazzateer

Post by bazzateer » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:02 pm

Not sure if I'll be able to attend now, will have to play it by ear. Good luck to all the Impers!
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:18 pm

Soggy is about right, the rain kicked off at around 10am and steadily got a whole lot worse, although our practice was in lighter rain. Glad we had the pit garages!

I was just getting into the swing of things during practice when I spun exiting Paddock Hill coming to rest with two wheels in the kitty litter and a stalled engine which refused to start. Naturally it only played ball once we'd been towed back to the garage :roll:

I got a mediocre start but kept my place, again losing time on the straights but challenging on the corners until I came into Clearways a wee bit too fast and tried my hand at rallycross through the gravel, rejoining way behind the field. I spent the remainder of the race keeping out of peoples' way and trying different lines, spinning at Graham Hill Bend but kept it going until the chequered flag.
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
chamois93

Post by chamois93 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:14 am

Do we ever get the opportunity to race in the Dry?

Brands, was wet very wet - so pleased we had a warm toastie garage, garage heating care of Mr Heale.

Great race, understeering through every corner... my start was much better than Oulton Park and for the 1st few laps followed an A40 which was slipping and sliding all over the place, making it very difficult to find a way pass. Then for the rest of the race, had Nick Lunn connected to my rear bumper... finished another race without drama, and got another signature on the license - 3 more and i'll lose my learner sticker :-)
bazzateer

Post by bazzateer » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:33 am

So who's going to give us the full write-up then? Also, where's the vids?? :D
pubcrawler

Post by pubcrawler » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:28 pm

Good to see the Classic Touring Cars at Brands yesterday, made more enjoyable by some kind person thrusting 2 free tickets at me :o whilst my Wife and I were queuing up at the main gate 8)
Shame the weather wasn't as good as Saturday, decided to leave about lunchtime :o as the rain was getting heavier.
Dreadful driving conditions all the way back to the Midlands :shock:
Thanks to Chamois93 for the origonal posting 8) .
Attachments
imp 026.jpg
imp 023 (4).jpg
imp 021.jpg
imp 011 (2).jpg
Last edited by pubcrawler on Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Parkes.
pubcrawler

Post by pubcrawler » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:32 pm

Four more photo's :o .
Attachments
imp 057.jpg
imp 053.jpg
imp 042.jpg
imp 036 (2).jpg
Martin Parkes.
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:37 pm

OUCH , What happened here , hope the drivers OK

Formally known as " Noddy "
ChrisBenoy
Car Model: Clan 'E' 998

Post by ChrisBenoy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:15 pm

Ian Gunton is fine, getting the car back on their trailer was a challenge however.

Went off just before paddock hill bend on a wet, slippery, possibly oily track and hit the barrier.
SimonBenoy
Car Model: 68 Stiletto, 72 G15, 67 race Imp, 3 projects

Post by SimonBenoy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:23 pm

An interesting day!

When I went out in practice, the car wasn't right - only 3 cylinders, so did the necessary 3 laps and then stopped and jumped out. HT lead had come off the dizzy cap, so pushed it back in and and slapped a bit of tank tape on to hold it in place, got back in and tried again. Much better on 4 cylinders and got another 4 laps in before the flag dropped - one of which was enough to get 6th on the grid of around 30 cars. David Heale was the star again in second place behind Dan Cox but ahead of all the minis. Adrian was 13th, Ian Gunton was 18th but unable to take the start after being caught out on Stuart's lost oil at Paddock. Then there were a group of Imps together, with Jon Orr heading Shaun Hazlewood, Stuart Kerr, Nick Lunn and Vince Frost. Practice was slippery but not terrible.

I went to check the weight of my car and on the way back to the garage, something very strange happened to the clutch - no longer possible to disengage and select any gears. After some toing and froing, the decision was made to pull the engine and investigate. Thank goodness, we were in the garages. Soon had the engine out and the clutch off - this showed that 3 of the 6 sections of the clutch plate had broken off and there was virtually no friction material remaining on the rest of the plate. Asked around to see if anyone had a spare, but I use a small AP clutch, so it was a long shot. In the end, we decided to refit the remains of the old plate, having removed the broken bits. There was at least a small bit of each section remaining, so it was worth a try. Put it all back together and fired it up and hey presto - a working clutch. Brilliant job by the team - Mark and James Ibbotson, Roger Swift and Chris all pitched in and the job was completed in double quick time.

The race looked like it wasn't going to happen for quite a while due to the intensity of the rain, but when it eased a bit, racing resumed.

I knew the clutch was dodgy, so took it very easy at the start and really struggled to get off the line, losing several places, but once I was going, selecting gears seemed fine. Repassed a couple of cars round Paddock and Druids and settled down in a group running just a bit behind the leaders - apparently I was 8th but not able to make a pass on the cars just ahead of me - it was really slippery all round the circuit. David was running 2nd early on but dropped back to a still excellent 4th at the finish, partly caused by a lack of visibility and steamed up windows. As the race progressed I settled down and tried to be a bit smoother, but was starting to have a problem with wheelspin after changing gear. Still don't know what was causing this, I'm hoping it's related to the clutch plate which is probably in a worse state now, but it meant having to be very gentle with the throttle, otherwise it was shaking violently with the wheelspin. I had a spin coming out of clearways, not sure if it was related to the wheelspin or just a mistake, but I ended up pointing the right way and was able to resume without being collected and was quite pleased to see the chequered flag for 11th overall and 2nd in class E.

Adrian got 3rd in class and also had a spin, 4th was Shaun, then Stuart, Vince and Nick. Jon retired quite early on.

Good to see the Impers braving the weather to support the racing and many thanks to the team for a great job on my car to get me out.

Cheers - Simon
bazzateer

Post by bazzateer » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:47 pm

Cheers for the write-up Simon. :D
Adrian
Car Model: Super x2 Deluxe x1 Stiletto x1 Davrian mk 6/7 x1

Post by Adrian » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:20 am

I had a right hoot in the wet, the understeer was annoying but managed to pass a few cars and have some fun.

Also I managed to spin in front of 2 cortinas in the middle of clearways, as I went round I realised I was going to end up smack in the middle of the track sideways in front of then so I had to hit the throttle to spin the car all the way round and managed to avoid disaster by ending up out the way! bit of a close shave.

I was amused to find I was in pit garage 13 and qualified 13th with a time of 1:13 just a shame I finished 14th dooh!

Adrian
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:59 am

Great write-up, Simon! Thank you. :D

It sounds as though the Imps acquitted themselves well overall. :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
19James
Car Model: '67 Imp Super

Post by 19James » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:00 pm

Hi everyone
It was an interesting day as said above but not for many good reasons. The qualifying started off okay until a couple of cars went off due to oil on the track, the marshals at the first corner failed to give a red or even a yellow flag causing Ian to smash into the barrier on the outside (It was a horrible noise :cry: ) which meant a very crumpled front end. Chris had to tell me to calm down as I was so angry and quite upset about the crumpled Imp :cry:
And then later in the 70's road sports race, I was a bit confused as the race had been red flagged very early in the race, so i walked out to the pit wall and there was a midget/sprite that had had it's nose shortened by about a foot, and to the right of the MG, a dark green Turner that was the shape of a banana with the passenger side door buried into the middle of the car :(
I know they weren't Imps but it was still sad to see some one's racing cars smashed up like that :cry:
I only got a picture of the MG as the Turner was loaded onto a flatbed and gone.
Cheers, James Imp004 Imp005
James Ibbotson
Stanced '67 Imp Super Spring Special (Ex pre '65 racer)
"Low n loud"
SimonBenoy
Car Model: 68 Stiletto, 72 G15, 67 race Imp, 3 projects

Post by SimonBenoy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:14 pm

Took the engine out after Brands and below is all that was left of the clutch plate!

bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Post by bks974c » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:00 pm

Amazing that you had sufficient drive to finish the race but definately need a new one :lol:

Scott
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:53 pm

^^ Nah. Should be good for half a season yet. :mrgreen:

:? :wink: :lol: :shock:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD