Imp sidecar unit

Information / Questions and Discussion -
Imps and Imp based Motorsport stuff from the olden days and current
Meltdown
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Imp sidecar unit

Post by Meltdown » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:52 pm

Spent a dry, sunny, mud-free day at the races today...no not Silverstone but Mallory Park for the Festival of 1000 bikes where we saw this tidy chair, supercharged plus BIG dizzy :o :D

Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
ganderson888
Car Model: 1973 Imp Super

Re: Imp sidecar unit

Post by ganderson888 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:02 pm

Now if someone wanted to put THAT bike engine in an Imp I'd understand it!! :lol: :lol:
Graham Anderson
tzarrobin
Car Model: Imp Super

Post by tzarrobin » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:32 pm

That big dizzy is a Scintilla Vertex magneto. :lol:
'66 1220cc EFI Imp Super
'70 Skoda S100 (almost ready to return to the road)
classiccapsule
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto, MK2 Mini

Post by classiccapsule » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:50 am

Wow, when you look at something like that, you realise why it hurts so much when you come off and the importance of knowing when to let go! :shock:
Making visual treats every day to adorn your oily loved ones!
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:59 pm

Awesome! :o What a fabulous piece of kit. I bet it sounds lovely too. :)

I was thinking that looked like a magneto.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:25 pm

tzarrobin wrote:That big dizzy is a Scintilla Vertex magneto. :lol:
Aha, that'd do it :D Never seen a magneto on an Imp as far as I know.
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
long_gone_John
Club Member: No
Car Model: 3 sal ('74/'64/'64)-all gone!!

Post by long_gone_John » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:46 pm

MY 998 - Ex Chair - drove through a big belt pulley on the flywheeel end - I discovered it had no Spigot Bush, as it had never been in a car!

Also..... it had been canted over the other way [from this one] & the racer had drilled 'through holes' under the camcarrier, through the head casting, to enable oil to run back to the timing chain :!:

Ports were enormous, matching the Works in/ex grey gasket... 8)

LGJ
TooMuch power.. is not quite enough ;<)

875- GGR 640N - Scrapped
930- 533 KNX - Stolen
BV998- 884 KOE (Ex Sidecar motor!!)
RoyBlunt
Car Model: 1966 Hillman Super Imp, 1981 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post by RoyBlunt » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:50 pm

I was also at the Mallory Park Festival of 1000 Bikes (great day as usual) and was surprised to see the 'Impulse' sidecar sprint outfit as I have been following motorcycle racing since 1965, bought my Imp in 1969, and thought I knew most of the Imp powered motorcycles/outfits - but I'd obviously missed 'Impulse'. On contacting the Vintage Motorcycle Club sprint section I received the following info on Impulse from Chris Ilman:
...............................................................................................................................

Roy, I can probably help you with your queries as I have a huge archive of material and ‘Impulse’ is well known to me. The Machine ‘Impulse’ was built and ridden originally by a guy called Vic Phillips in the late 1960’s. Vic also built another Imp based Sidecar with a bigger capacity to attack World Records in the 1300cc Class. That one was called ‘Impetus�� and was successful in capturing World Records in 1966 at Elvington (Yorks). I do not believe ‘Impetus’ survives. ‘Impulse’ has been owned now for a good few by fellow Sprint enthusiast Paul Standing. He campaigned it extensively during the 1990’s and then put it into retirement. I has very recently been rebuilt/restored and Mallory Park was the very first time since the extensive rebuild that it ran under power again. It will appear again over the next couple of years at a number of VMCC Sprints driven by Paul Standing. ‘Impulse’ has a great pedigree and when running well is capable of outstanding performance. It is ‘Blown’ by a Shorrock’s C142 Supercharger. I hope this helps in your quest for further information. If you write a piece on Impulse, I would love to have a copy for my Archive. Kind regards, Chris Chris Illman – VMCC Sprint Section

.......................................................................................................................

In contrast to 'Impulse' I remember seeing (and hearing!!!) 'Impetus' at Santa Pod - probably around 1969. There is further info on this machine on http://www.imps4ever.info/specials/moto ... -1966.html

Roy
Imp011
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:07 pm

I wonder if this is the same outfit that I took photos of at the Brighton National Speed Trials last month. I'll try to remember to take a look when I get home. I should post my pictures really. :)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
oily bloke
Car Model: Impulse Supercharged Sprinter

Post by oily bloke » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:47 pm

Yes it is the same as you saw at The Brighton Speed Trials and it was me Piloting it.

I will post some more info later if anyone is interested but here is a brief prece' of what went on.

I first came across Impulse some 15-20 years ago, which was and still is owned by my good mate Paul. It was languishing in Pauls garage where it had been abandoned after suffering some reliability issues. Particularly with the Wills rings which seal the combustion chamber and the usual Imp issue of boiling up. I expressed interest then and continued to pester Paul on and off over the years to rebuild it as it is a really trick bit of kit. The years passed and out of the blue Paul called me in January this year and said "Fancy building the Imp for me? you can pilot it for me as well if you like"
It would have been rude to say no.
The bike was duly collected and brought back to my workshop where the build began in earnest. Having been through a house fire and a leaky shed the old girl was in a bit of a state. Thankfuly the motor and the fairing had been stored elsewhere and had simply suffered the ravages of time and had not succumbed to flame or water. The blower was siezed solid and a tide mark could be seen where it had been full of water. The frame and cycle parts together with the transmission was very rough. The idea was to get it running and ready for the Festival of 1000 bikes at Mallory in early July. We just about made it and it ran for the first time about a week before the event.
In the mean time, Paul had managed to locate the guy who built it, Mike Pierce, and got tickets to him for Mallory.Vic Phillips the origonal driver/rider is still with us but was unnable to attend. Mike duly turned up and it was worth all the agg just to see his face. We ran the bike up and Paul attemped a gentle run (First dibbs to the owner) as it has not moved under its own steam since the build. Low oil pressure, an oil leak on the righthand side of the block and a badly burned left foot (Paul innadvertantly put his toes over the end of the exhaust burning a hole in his boot) The shakedown was declared a success.
We entered the Bike at the Wroughton Sprint and it was my turn to have a go. 1st run badly slipping clutch. 2nd run and 2nd set of plates cooked. 3rd run set clutch alight. bother!
Next up was the Brighton Speed trials. New clutch and Mick Pierce in attendance we suffered the same Clutch problems. Very heavy springs fitted and the adjusters wound right up I managed a half decent launch but the clutch cried enough about halfway up. I had to shut off anyway as the bike felt unstable and was pulling hard to the left.
Back in the workshop we decided that the gearing was too tall and that radical clutch mods were required. We have fitted a Bewley clutch and are about to attend to the handling problems.
The Wills rings are sealing fine and the addition of a rad and an electric pump have solved the cooling issues
A bit less brief than I intended but hopefully gives you the idea.
Sincere thanks must go to Paul (who owns the bike) Steve (who pushes the bike a lot and makes me laugh) and Juan and Jane for their encouragement and last but not least Deb my ever suffering wife.
So, if you want some more and perhaps some piccies say so and I will oblige.
Cheers
Andy.
bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Post by bks974c » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:26 pm

Yes please we like pics and more info would be good.

Scott
RoyBlunt
Car Model: 1966 Hillman Super Imp, 1981 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post by RoyBlunt » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:03 pm

All (including, in particular, Andy),

Great info - and I would love to see the pics too. Just to let you know that (at Graham's suggestion) I contacted Paul Standish about the possibility of bringing 'Impulse' to an Imp Club event in 2013. The reply was essentially positive and was copied to Andy for his information & opinion. We could be going round in circles here......
Roy Imp011
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:22 pm

It is so cool that you have posted! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Welcome to the forum!
oily bloke wrote:So, if you want some more and perhaps some piccies say so and I will oblige.
Yes please! 8) I am going to post my Brighton pics tonight, inspired by your post. Keep the info coming! :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
oily bloke

Post by oily bloke » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:38 am

Wow. Thanks for the response. That will be a yes then :D
I will get some pictures and more words together and post them soon.
I was aware that Paul had had an email regarding bringing Impulse to one of your events. Mention was made of a 50th anniversary of the Imp. Subject to where you want us as we are based in Kent & Surrey, we would be more than happy to bring it along.
Cheers
Andy
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:43 am

Andy, next year's (2013's) 50th anniversary Imp international meeting is being held at Perth racecourse in Scotland. :D If you could bring the outfit up to that, it would be brilliant! If not, there are other 50th anniverary events happening closer to Surrey and Kent, such as in Coventry in early May. Some information has appeared about these events in Impressions, the Imp Club's excellent magazine. Are you and/or Paul members of the Club? :?: It is brilliant value for money. :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
oily bloke

Post by oily bloke » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:23 pm

Hi Paul,
I think that Scotland may be a bit too far and cost prohibitive. We are not members of the Imp club as, primarily, a motorcycle sprint/drag rider my allegiences have a at least 1 less wheel. Usually 2 less :roll: I already belong to too many clubs and am on the committee on one as tech official. Sadly, time and funds are tight.
If you or someone within the club can let me or Paul know when and where your events are, we will do our best to attend at least one of them. Paul races grasstrack as well as sprints and I race sprint meetings so the diary fills up fast but I am sure we can find an event that doesn't clash.
Our race season is just about over so I will post the dates and venues that Impulse will be competing at in the new year.
Andy
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:26 pm

Keep an eye out for events and meets in celebration of the Imp's 50th anniversary next year. :wink: I shall try to remember to send you a list next time I see one. It will be via a Private Message (PM) on this forum. :)

I am certain that I am not the only one looking forward to more details and photos of Impulse. :mrgreen:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
ganderson888
Car Model: 1973 Imp Super

Post by ganderson888 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:30 am

Hi Andy,

There's a list of our events for 2013 in the attachment below.

If Impulse is available for any of them that would be great and please let me know by email to: chairman@theimpclub.co.uk

Look forward to hearing from you
Attachments
Exp of interest form.pdf
(246.64 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
Graham Anderson
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:10 pm

Great to see such a positive reaction to my photo's from Mallory. Yes please to some more, maybe 'in action'?
65 Chamois
bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Post by bks974c » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:31 pm

ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:00 pm

^^ What an amazing find! :shock: Thank you for sharing it, Scott. :mrgreen: I wish it had sound.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison