LINES INSIDE

Information / Questions and Discussion -
Imps and Imp based Motorsport stuff from the olden days and current
GURNSIMPS
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: IMP SUPER//TRANSIT

LINES INSIDE

Post by GURNSIMPS » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:48 pm

Not sure if this is in the right place but is there a thread anywhere that shows how/where to run brake/fuel lines inside the car a la competition cars?
Cheers guys Imp007
Loving Imps since 1963!!
moose
Car Model: rally imp

Re: LINES INSIDE

Post by moose » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:06 pm

quite easy Neil just copy the route from the outside to the inside and work around any obstructions, keeps the centre of the car so safe from side impacts just think about the route no sharp edges or chance of damage when using or working on the car, fuel lines should be double sleeved for comp use but a wise move anyway. use bulkhead fittings at either end to maintain a fire proof bulkhead ensure it is all tied in tight so as not to fret on anything.

regards mike
Regards Moose
Century Autosport
Meltdown
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by Meltdown » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:49 pm

I don't know if it's still the case (haven't read a yellow book for decades) but IIRC FIA ruled that fuel lines must not run inside the car, but was ok for MSA events.
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:04 pm

on the imp the best place for the fuel is in the tunnel under the car infact i cant see why you would want the fuel line inside has to be the worst idea the msa ever came up with but then they are good at coming up with stupid ideas like change your seat belt and seat every 5 years

col
The Nun
Car Model: Imp x 2

Post by The Nun » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:09 pm

If they are inside just make sure youve not got a dog that likes chewing things. :shock:
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
moose

Post by moose » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:27 pm

no FIA ruling about fuel lines inside the car
Regards Moose
Century Autosport
Meltdown
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by Meltdown » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:18 pm

moose wrote:no FIA ruling about fuel lines inside the car
Fair do's. They must have had a case of a rock zinging a fuel line on a rally stage I guess.
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
pimpdriver
Car Model: Irish Clan, Luff Hillclimb Clan.

Post by pimpdriver » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:44 pm

I completely agree with Colin here, why would you want the fuel pipe in the car. In a Gravel Rally car i can see the advantage, but for all other motor sport i would have thought the last place you would want the fuel pipe is inside the car with you.

Eric
Eric Morrey

Rawlson Imp Turbo
'Irish' Clan
Rover 75 waft-mobile
Hillclimb Clan - Resting
Reliant Scimitar GTE se5a - Resting
moose

Post by moose » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:53 pm

if correctly routed and you use quality pipe what is the issue of being inside the car ?
Regards Moose
Century Autosport
Rod

Post by Rod » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:23 am

My last rally Imp (built by Mike Farmer) just had substantial ally guards all along the tunnel rather than bringing the lines inside the car. It also had a standard fuel tank. The very last event I did with it saw it run out of petrol in the middle of a massive puddle on a quarry stage (Ardley quarry near Bicester if anyone is familiar with it). Subsequent inspection showed that a rock had punched through the guard right at the front where the fuel pipe came out of the tank and smashed the pipe. it had done numerous events in several different hands over 10 years before that happened!

"all lines inside" is standard practice for any rally car. Not heard of fuel line rupturing whilst inside the car but it can certainly happen outside. The Saab 96 had all its lines routed inside as standard.
Imp010 Imp002 Imp13 Imp15 Imp028 Imp30 As near as I can get to all my Imps!
RallyeCallye

Member no. 8, bought first Imp 1971. Owned 7 or 8 lost count!
Mike Hanna
Car Model: 2 ZIMPS, 2 SINGER CHAMOIS, 6 HILLMAN IMPS

Post by Mike Hanna » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:06 pm

My old rally car had the fuel pipe in the normal place under the tunnel with no extra shielding and in the 5 years I used it I never had any trouble. In a lot of the current rally Imp photos I see the cars look to be too low especially at the front. There are other reasons that I would keep it underneath besides not wanting a fractured pipe spraying fuel inside the car! Cheers. Mike
Nigel Webster (anrw)
Car Model: None currently

Post by Nigel Webster (anrw) » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:02 pm

I would suggest that in a stage rally car (used on gravel) that fuel pipework is routed inside the car and I agree with the advice to keep it down the centre tunnel. Fuel is obviously one of the things over which you don't cut corners. I used an Aeroquip type hose that allows no fuel smell to permeate from it. I forget the spec but if anyone is interested I can look up the details. Beware though Aeroquip and dash 4 or 6 fittings are expensive.

Concerning ride height I suspect Mike Hanna has seen photos of my car over the last few months (www.friesianracing.co.uk / Shammy Moo on Facebook etc or the Rally Forum here) and he is entirely right we have been running far too low ride height. We are well aware of the problem and suitable modifications are in hand. To this end does anyone have the top cups that the front springs fit into (which in turn sit on the underside of the turret) when using Koni shock absorbers? I don't mean the standard type rubber one but a cone type steel cup.

Regards

Nigel Webster
www.friesianracing.co.uk
Nigel Webster
GURNSIMPS
Car Model: IMP SUPER//TRANSIT

Post by GURNSIMPS » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:41 pm

Thanks for the replies guys,the reason I asked was that when I was co-driving many Years ago all rally cars had to have the petrol and brake lines run inside the car,is this not the case now?
I was just thinking along the lines of...if in the future Adam want to do any sort of motorsport then I may as well run the lines inside now because I will probably be too old and Knackered to change them when He get around to competing :o :lol: :lol:
Loving Imps since 1963!!
moose

Post by moose » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:35 pm

why is his first event next week? :lol:

if you are fitting them from scratch just route them inside the car use quality products and they will last a lifetime and be safe from harm
Regards Moose
Century Autosport
Rod

Post by Rod » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:50 pm

It was never obligatory, just generally regarded as a good idea.
RallyeCallye

Member no. 8, bought first Imp 1971. Owned 7 or 8 lost count!