Turbo Test Engine - Test Completed

Information / Questions and Discussion -
Imps and Imp based Motorsport stuff from the olden days and current

Re: Turbo Test Engine - Test Completed

Postby skamanfrank » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:52 pm

Great reading as always Eric.

Any photos of the RR readout with power/torque curves. Would love to see the shape of the torque curve with combination of turbo and R20 cam!
Cheers
Frank
skamanfrank

Club Member: No
Car Model: 1972 Imp Super

Postby pimpdriver » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:21 pm

Tom
I'm only out one more time this year, 17th September at Thorseby Park near Nottingham.

Frank
The RR readout from the tuning session. The red lines were at 13 psi and the blue lines were at 11 psi ( i think, not really sure).
The spike at about 6300 revs is the slight over boost as the boost control opens and then settles at about 1psi less

Eric
Eric Morrey

Rawlson Imp Turbo
'Irish' Clan
Rover 75 waft-mobile
Hillclimb Clan - Resting
Reliant Scimitar GTE se5a - Resting
pimpdriver

Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Irish Clan, Luff Hillclimb Clan.

Postby skamanfrank » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:22 am

Cheers Eric.

Everyone talks about nice flat torque curves with forced induction... I was intrigued to see what the effect of the R series cam would be.
Cheers
Frank
skamanfrank

Car Model: 1972 Imp Super

Postby Turboimp » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:43 pm

I had a R 17 in my first turbo imp engine in 1983 with a fairly big IHI RHB5 turbocharger and 8:1 compression ratio .I went up to see alan allard for advice and this was nearest size available at the time . There was no off boost torque at all up until 3500 - 4000 rpm when things started working seriously , It came on very strong after that all the way to 7500 + rpm . At the time, by the huge performance and 0-60 time of around 6 seconds and weighing not far off 900 kg i estimated around 170 bhp . looking at the curve above i rekon it was very similar except for my lack of torque up to 4000 rpm .. I didnt have the luxury of mapping and dyno sessions in those days , i judged the performance by which type of cars i could pass :-) .My latest untested incarnation is a higher compression ratio , emerald M3D managment ( injection and ignition ) and a sport camshaft , aiming for about 130 bhp this time with a lot more torque using one of a pair of Mitsubishi water cooled turbo chargers from a Volvo T6 ( 3 litre 6 cylinder ) That leaves me with a spare turbocharger for my clan one day , i already have the CBR throttles and manifold made ... but the clan cries out for higher gearing already , so will try to fit the Skoda estelle 5 speed transaxle i accquired ten years ago in the clan if not too much surgery is needed . Has anyone tried these tiny turbos off 1000 c - 1400 cc modern engines Diesel or otherwise ?
1967 Imp Sport turbo 328000 Imp Miles , in the same car
1972 Clan Crusader 232000 clan Miles in the same car
must be some kind of record !
Turboimp

Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Sport Turbocharged in 1983 + Clan

Postby apeximp » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:50 pm

Hi there pimpdriver , can you tell me , did you use btec in shipton apon Cherwell to do your rolling road run ??? It's just that I plan to use them in a few weeks and I see the btec logo on the print out you posted !!!
Regards
Jim
apeximp

Car Model: .

Postby pimpdriver » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:35 pm

Jim
It was done by Andrew Bradley and Btec at Shipton Under Wychwood. I assume this is the place you meant. Very friendly garage and knows what he is doing.

Eric
Eric Morrey

Rawlson Imp Turbo
'Irish' Clan
Rover 75 waft-mobile
Hillclimb Clan - Resting
pimpdriver

Postby Meltdown » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:54 pm

What turbos do people fit to Hayabusas? Might be suitable.
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
Meltdown

Car Model: Singer Chamois

Postby apeximp » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:09 pm

Hi Eric , yep that's the place / guy ! Don't know if you have read my posts & thread about my fraser imp replica have swapped from a 998 to 1040 engine and fraser b cam to a R23 same ignition system but carbs were swapped over without change ! Car was set up on rr for the 998 but not the 1040 and have / am experiencing lack of top end power , are they able at btec to make jetting adjustment (do they stock parts & able to do the work) your advice and recommendation is very helpfull . Jim
apeximp

Car Model: .

Postby pimpdriver » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:06 am

Jim
That's a good point, I don't know if he has jets etc for carbs, as i'm running on Fuel Injection so it was tapping on a laptop. Unfortunately for most cars they see now, its all laptop based. For interest, Andrew at Btec was quite happy for me to alter the settings under his guidance. I would give them a ring and confirm whether they can do what you want, it would be a waste of time if they don't have any jets. The place is a Garage first with a rolling road added so I can't see a problem with them fitting jets, its just if they have them.

Eric
Eric Morrey

Rawlson Imp Turbo
'Irish' Clan
Rover 75 waft-mobile
Hillclimb Clan - Resting
pimpdriver

Postby cov_climax » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:54 pm

as eric says above give him a call, I know BTEC has done Jonathan Gomm's (no relation BTW) lotus cortina that runs in the HSCC so may have a selection of jets
cov_climax

Car Model: Super

Postby Meltdown » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:46 pm

cov_climax wrote:as eric says above give him a call, I know BTEC has done Jonathan Gomm's (no relation BTW) lotus cortina that runs in the HSCC so may have a selection of jets

That cort would I believe be running on carbs not injected so sounds promising. Best let Apeximp know too :D
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
Meltdown

Postby TTK 25L » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:39 pm

Meltdown wrote:What turbos do people fit to Hayabusas? Might be suitable.

There is not a cat in hells chance of a turbo destined for a Busa being suitable for an Imp engine, turbos for big bike engines are big bu99ers due to the high rpm of the engine and the high air flow requirements at that engine speed. Even a turbo from a Mitsibushi Evo whatever has to be modified to increase the flow to suit a Busa!

Well done Eric, sounds like yours is going well, especially going by your times at Gurston!
Last edited by TTK 25L on Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TTK 25L

Postby Greetham » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:00 pm

Meltdown wrote:What turbos do people fit to Hayabusas? Might be suitable.

gt28r gt35r gt40 all no good for the imp but gt 28r can be speced to suit eg by atp turbos usa
zx12 turbo killer imp zcars 1 off
Greetham

Car Model: zx12r turbo imp

Postby Meltdown » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:53 am

/\/\Aah I see. Ok.
65 Chamois
Meltdown

Previous

Return to Motorsport Forum