HRCR Stage Rally Championship

Information / Questions and Discussion -
Imps and Imp based Motorsport stuff from the olden days and current
Gemini
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Sport Rally Car

HRCR Stage Rally Championship

Post by Gemini » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:59 pm

:D Just wanted to let everyone know that we will be out again this year competing on (planned) all rounds of the 8 event series in our Blue Imp. Only Imp registered this year but still flying the flag!! Taking on mainly Porsches and Volvo Amazons with the odd Lotus Cortina thrown in.
The first round is this weekend , the Mid Wales Stages on Sunday starting in Newtown Powys and covering the Hafren, Myherin, Tarenig and Sweet Lamb forestry stages over 50 stage miles of the best of Welsh forests.
Do say hello if you are in Newtown or the service area at Sweet Lamb.
Cheers Geoff Taylor and Steve Greenhill
Rod

Re: HRCR Stage Rally Championship

Post by Rod » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:40 am

Hi Geoff, best of luck for the season, pity there won't be more Imps. Should have stuck my old yellow Californian away in a garage somewhere instead of breaking it for parts back in '82, reshelled it would have been pretty much the right spec. Hindsight is a wonderful thing! can't afford today's prices.

I must make an effort to come out and watch one of the rounds this year. One of my customers is an RAC Steward and he is slowly but surely dragging me back into motor sport.
RallyeCallye

Member no. 8, bought first Imp 1971. Owned 7 or 8 lost count!
Gemini
Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Sport Rally Car

Post by Gemini » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:57 pm

Hi Rod,
Good to hear from you and yes shame you havent still got the yellow car - would have been great to compete again.

It honestly can be done on a modest budget and I encourage any Impers who fancy some fun rallying to consider giving it a go. Would be happy to help with any advice.

Would be good to see you again so do please let me know if you are coming to one of the rounds this year - See the HRCR website for all the rally details.

Cheers for now

Geoff

PS We won the class on the Mid Wales which was easy as all we had to do was finish - only entry in B1!! We did have some problems incl plug lead coming off mid stage and drowning out in the ford on Sweet Lamb second time - trying too hard taking the ford flat and we just spotted the oil pressure sensor coming loose in first service so tightened it before we lost all the oil on a stage. There is some footage on youtube and the official 1 hour programme on the rally should be on Motors TV in 2-3 weeks. Usually staurday evening plus other times the following week.
Meltdown
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by Meltdown » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:35 pm

Fit a Marigold over the dizzy with the leads coming out of the fingers...it was good enough for the works Astras in the late 1980s :D
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
Nigel Webster (anrw)
Car Model: None currently

Post by Nigel Webster (anrw) » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:15 am

There is a short clip of Geoff in the stunning Myherin stage of the Mid Wales Stages Rally at:-

Regards

Nigel Webster
nigel@anrw.co.uk
Nigel Webster
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:35 am

Sounds the biz! :D
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
Rod

Post by Rod » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:55 am

Geoff finished 5th in category 1 (pre '68) winning his class again on the second round of the championship, The Bulldog. Class win not difficult as he said before, no competition. They seem to have imported more Porsches and very fast Volvos this year just to hold him back from the top spots! He is now 5th. in the championship, best pre '68 competitor.

Last year it looked as though there would be 3 or 4 regular Imps on the series but it's back down to one this year. When all you racing and sprint types get bored with just going round in circles why don't you take a look at stage rallying? For that matter why don't those rally drivers who seem to spend all their time handbraking round cones and driving "regularly" on road sections give it a go? Yes it will cost you more but so much more fun.
RallyeCallye

bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Post by bks974c » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:42 pm

Well done to Geoff and the imp for finishing and well at that.

I was down at the Bulldog servicing for one of the Fiesta ST's in the Fiesta challenge, the afternoon stages seem to have placed a heafty toll on the cars as there was a lot of service crews with trailers going in search of there cars and crews including ourselves. Ours went out with a broken ball joint and then had to deal with an under bonnet fire not directly related. 800 miles (Friday/Saturday)- 21 hour Saturday for a DNF. Oh well 4 weeks to the Pirelli.

Scott
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:50 pm

Rod wrote: When all you racing and sprint types get bored with just going round in circles why don't you take a look at stage rallying?
Gravel traps generally don't contain trees or fresh-air drops :D
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Post by bks974c » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:57 pm

[/quote] Gravel traps generally don't contain trees or fresh-air drops :D[/quote]

Don't mention fresh-air drops, we did a bit of spectating on the Bulldog after service and the access road to spectator area had a scarily huge drop that made all of us dizzy just looking at it. :shock: :shock: :shock:
james
Car Model: Imp caledonian

Post by james » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:00 pm

Meltdown wrote:
Rod wrote: When all you racing and sprint types get bored with just going round in circles why don't you take a look at stage rallying?
Gravel traps generally don't contain trees or fresh-air drops :D
My Dad tells of an occasion where an Imp was being driven on a stage rally. The navigator said "straight and flat". The road dropped sharply and turned right. The car went "straight and flat" before hitting a tree about 10 feet off the ground.
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:49 pm

/\/\I rest my case :D I spent some happy days telling rally drivers where to go and was lucky enough to be with people I could trust.
65 Chamois
Rod

Post by Rod » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:18 pm

But you don't notice the trees and the fresh air drops unless you go off... moral, don't go off! You should try Penmachno on snow and ice, that seperates the men from the wimps... needless to say i was counted amongst the wimps!
RallyeCallye

Rod

Post by Rod » Sun May 01, 2011 10:23 am

Geoff Taylor now 4th. in the HRCR championship after winning his class (again no competition) and finishing 8th. Cat. 1 car on the Pirelli Historic in Kielder.
RallyeCallye

Nigel Webster (anrw)
Car Model: None currently

Post by Nigel Webster (anrw) » Mon May 02, 2011 11:52 am

There are good clips of Geoff Taylor on Saturday's Pirelli Historic rally at
- (6:46 mins)
and at
(2:25 mins).

Nigel Webster
Nigel Webster
dave-sbs
Car Model: hillman imp '65

Post by dave-sbs » Mon May 02, 2011 5:16 pm

here he is on falstone 2

ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Mon May 02, 2011 6:49 pm

I very much enjoyed the videos. What a car! What a driver/navigator pairing! :D The results speak for themselves. Great stuff!

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD