Anglesey 3rd and 4th july 2010

Information / Questions and Discussion -
Imps and Imp based Motorsport stuff from the olden days and current
colin rooney
Club Member: Yes

Anglesey 3rd and 4th july 2010

Post by colin rooney » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:20 pm

Just to let all you impers up in wales that the irish historics are racing in Anglesey on these dates and as far as i know Leo Nulty will be out in his davrian imp plus hopefully Maurice Cullen in a davrian imp and i will be out in my newly rebuilt rawlson imp ,so if you come down please come and say hello

col
accyimp
Car Model: clan crusader

Re: Anglesey 3rd and 4th july 2010

Post by accyimp » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:40 pm

Col, coming down for the weekend to see some 'top notch' batttling with those race imps. One of my colleagues does the fiat racing challenge, so its 2 for 1, should be plenty to keep me interested! I'll be sure to say hello and good luck. Cheers, Andy.
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:46 pm

I look forward to meeting you Andy

cheers col
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:39 pm

Well we got to anglesey friday afternoon , got the car out on track for 3 laps just for a shakedown and all seemed ok ,went out in the 2nd session and pushed on a bit to find that the car was tending to snap the back out in the fast right and left hand corners when which was not good as your pulling some serious speed .So we jacked it up and towed the rear end in to see if it would help which it did a bit in 3rd sesion only to have the oil cooler crack .On to Saturday and qualifying thing started to go wrong the clutch decided that it would not clear so i was pumping the pedal on the down shift ,but worse was in store for Leo a grub screw coming out of the oil gallery and coating the rear of the imp and track in oil ,and damage was done to the bottom end as it had a slight rumble and so the ASK racing crew decided to pull the car out and save what they could from the engine .For me i was to spend half the afternoon looking for a clutch pipe which is a lesson to me as i have 2 new pipes at home but just never got around to changing the 1 on the car even when i changed everything else on the re-build .But it is a massive thanks to Jeff Smith and his son Jeff that we got sorted as young Jeff drove from his house 20 miles from the track to bring us a pipe .So on to Sunday and for some unknown reason the clutch is still not right so with all new cylinders and pipe work im starting to think that the fork is bent ,In qualifing i just had to brake and flick the clutch twice before i wanted to down shift plus to add to the fun it was raining and on slicks so there was a few big slides but i got 8th on the grid which was realy 6th as there was 2 porsche gt3 cars running with us ,on to the race and i had the wets on .I got a good start and made up 2 places then i got past a midget on the 3rd corner and flat in 4th the back stepped out and i was spinning back to 13th place and now i had the hump with myself .So i got my head down and within 2 laps i was back on the tail of the 4th and 5th place midgets and passed them and just kept my head down ,i came home 4th on the road and so giving me 3rd in the historics .On to race 2 and it was dry so slicks back on and for some reason some of the bigger cars didnt race so it was my imp and a loads of 1400 cc plus midgets and as i had the fastest time i was on pole ,which was a bad thing as i dropped the clutch she just spun the wheels and the midgets done me into turn 1 but i caught them and was able
to pull along side them and pass them but then into the corner and i was in trouble with my clutch not able to get into gear and so the midgets were gone and me after them and this went on every lap until i got into 2nd and had a good run to try and get on terms with the leader and i spun and with the clutch not working right it stalled and so game over .But it was a great weekend and the engine is running good so i just need to have a look at the clutch

col
Imperfectimp20002
Car Model: Singer Chamois sport 998 powerd!! yeh baby!!

Post by Imperfectimp20002 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:50 pm

Col,sounds like you had a good time sorry i didnt make it,youve done so well with the imp with time etc...
and youre going to have little faults,but just sit back and look at the photos ffrom back at the begining to present day!
all im going to say...Awsome.

take care

Richie
knocker
Car Model: Maguire Stiletto Ginetta G15

Post by knocker » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:06 pm

Well done Colin,was worth all the hard work you put into getting it there...
Robert Knox
3 Imps
3 Ginetta's
speeddemon
Club Member: No
Car Model: None

Post by speeddemon » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:29 pm

Yes well done and the car looks great, cath you soon,
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:17 pm

speeddemon wrote:...cath you soon...
Good luck with that! :lol:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
accyimp
Car Model: clan crusader

Post by accyimp » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:12 pm

Excellent weekend, the car looked great and a good effort to get it sorted for sundays race - great performance in the wet!!! Andy.
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:50 pm

Thanks Andy sorry i didnt get much time to chat with you but i was nice to talk for a few minutes , did you get any pictures as none of my lot had a camera with them

cheers col