I want to try hill climb

Information / Questions and Discussion -
Imps and Imp based Motorsport stuff from the olden days and current
chris
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: g15 turbo

I want to try hill climb

Post by chris » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:36 am

Hi all been trying to find out on the internet if its possible to have a go up one of the hill climb tracks in the country basically to see what is like and how good/bad my car is at speed/handling?

I’m not really wanting an event day where Im timed against others and positions are give at the end, really just looking for a Track day type of event but it doesn’t look like theres such thing on hills??

I would do a random track day but Id rather not be looking behind me constantly for other cars etc etc, just like to go about my business lol.

Has anybody done any type of track day hill climb stuff before or know of one?

Cheers
Chris
Wanted..... FREE STILETTO...... PM Me...........worth a try haha :)
My G15 page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/398397523543681/
HARRY
Car Model: davrian mk 8 / hillman imp

Re: I want to try hill climb

Post by HARRY » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:46 am

why do you try a sprint at 3 sisters im sure thay have track days two.
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:36 pm

Some of the hillclimb venues offer driving schools, where they give you instruction in your own car. Worth a try? :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
blown_imp
Car Model: Hillman imp super

Post by blown_imp » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:51 pm

I would love to have a go too, but with the cost of a training day, I might as just start in competition!

Things I would need - harnesses / seat in date and an MSA approved roll cage. Do I need fireproofs?

J
you best hunt me down with the flaming crossbows
cov_climax
Car Model: Super

Post by cov_climax » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:06 pm

i don't think they inforce the seat and harness dates too miuh on sprints/hillclimbs, a production car doesn't need anything special, someone like Eric might be able to confirm or when you're next at a meeting try and have a 5 min chat with a scrutineer, i think they'd sooner see you out there rather than worry about a seat being a year out of date - just remove the labels?
pimpdriver
Car Model: Irish Clan, Luff Hillclimb Clan.

Post by pimpdriver » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:30 pm

Chris
Not many of the Hillclimb venues do test or track days, as a most of them are limited to number of times they can run and buy the very nature of the sport on ly one car is allowed on the hill at a time. Harewood nr Harrogate have very good school days, where an instructor teaches you how to drive the hill. I think also Prescott do one as well as Gurston Down, unfortunately none that near to you.

James,
If you car is standard (i'm guessing yours isn't) you don't need harnesses, special seats or a rollcage. If your car is modified then you do need harnesses and a rear roll bar as a minimum. Nowadays the harness must have a minimum of 4 mounting points, the old 3 point ones where the two shoulder straps attach to one bolt are now not allowed. The harnesses do not have to be FIA approved.

For personal protection, you now need fireproof overalls, an approved helmet and fireproof gloves.

If you need any help - just ask

Eric
Eric Morrey

Rawlson Imp Turbo
'Irish' Clan
Rover 75 waft-mobile
Hillclimb Clan - Resting
Reliant Scimitar GTE se5a - Resting
blown_imp
Car Model: Hillman imp super

Post by blown_imp » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:23 pm

Well I may or may not have changed a few components on my imp :lol:

So probably a modified class!

I already have harnesses (4 point 3" TRS items) in the car, and I have a rear roll cage sitting in my dads garage back down south, so by the looks of things I just need the overalls / gloves and an entry form :shock: scary stuff, that means I need to get my act into gear!

Thanks for the info Eric, you might have another imper at the sprints :D

J
you best hunt me down with the flaming crossbows
chris
Car Model: g15 turbo

Post by chris » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:11 pm

Yep I think the training days might be good but for the cost I might aswell just enter some sort of race meeting instead, I shall look into it all a bit more and start sorting things out!

Thanks
Chris
Wanted..... FREE STILETTO...... PM Me...........worth a try haha :)
My G15 page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/398397523543681/
cov_climax
Car Model: Super

Post by cov_climax » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:23 pm

Gents;

curborough do an intro to sprinting day, well worth a trip along, they will let you have a go with an instructor, car must have 2 seats and be road legal. Last one i went to i was given a lift round in a mod-prod 1.4 vauxhall nova, which was very rapid - worth going for a passanger ride in something.

heres a link: http://www.curborough.co.uk/introtosprinting.htm
Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming
Car Model: Imps and Clans

Post by Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:37 pm

Well factor in to do a test day or driving school they don't insist on the latest spec overalls or helmets

Just pricing helmets and gloves and you'll be spending upto £300 , add overalls and suddenly its £600

The car if mod prod which most Imps seem to fall into on here then make sure you read the blue book which you can read on the RACMSA site, to be road production you need to have wind up windows , all your heater controls etc in place

http://www.msauk.org/site/cms/contentCa ... tegory=528

Tyres etc have to be on the list so factor in possibly a new set of tyres as well

Don't forget your RACMSA license and you'll need to join a recognised Motor Club , one thats invited to the event you want to enter, maybe another £80 you just spent on those two.

So far I'm looking at around £750 and my cars pretty much sorted , not trying to slow you down or put a damper on it just theres more to it that just paying for the event although of course you'll then be prepared for the rest of the season until they change the regs again !!
timbeardsley
Car Model: Ginetta G15

Post by timbeardsley » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:50 pm

Sorry i didnt read this thread sooner, ive just done a sprint test day at Blyton, only got msa sactioning last week for two pos three courses.
It only cost £45 to run around all day, road licence ok, no scrutineering etc tec.
The track was a bit broken up but they are looking to tarmac it. If they have another i will let all know as soon as.
Found out because we at Amber Racing are sponsoring the east midlands sprint championship which i belive only costs £5 to register and there are ten events, road car class included. If there is enough interest we can include an Imp class for next year. I will find out more and put a post up.

Cheers Tim