Spaceframe Imps

Information / Questions and Discussion -
Imps and Imp based Motorsport stuff from the olden days and current
colin rooney
Club Member: Yes

Re: Spaceframe Imps

Post by colin rooney » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:45 pm

Nice 1 Doc get the thread running again i like the picture of pat mannion would you mind if i copy and give it to him next time i see him

col
doc knutsen
Club Member: No
Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Bevan replica

Post by doc knutsen » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:49 pm

Be my guest, the pics are all by myself so no nasty lawyers banging on the doors of copyright-evaders :D
doc knutsen

Post by doc knutsen » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:55 am

This is the Maguire space frame from Enderby's first car, named "E**ing Black Pig", which he crashed at Thruxton, it is thought due to the frame flexing and causing unpredictable handling. I bought it from David and made a jig for it and found it to be a bit lopsided, with measurements not being repeatable from left to right. It was put right and reinforced, then sold on to a gent named Oyvind Larsen along with my ex-Borgudd, ex-Goodwin steel shell car. However, the car was never assembled, and Larsen scrapped the tubular frame some time in the early Nineties. The remains of the original car, which ran in the British Touring Car Championship in 1971-73, were re-purchased by myself in 2004 and re-shelled, emerging as my present Hartwell lookalike car.
I even have the 998 engine that Ray Payne built for me in the late Seventies as a spare these days, along with another Payne-built 998 from the mid-Eighties. But my Reg Patten motors are so reliable and powerful that neither of the spares have had to be pressed onto service...yet, anyway.
maguire imp
Car Model: maguire spaceframed imp

Post by maguire imp » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:01 pm

HI

Was it a round tubed floor in the maguire saloon,ex dr david enerby also do you know what chassis number it was to complete my research thankyou again

Keith scott
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:20 pm

More fantastic photos! This thread is great! 8)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
big J
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto

Post by big J » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:29 pm

Hiya Doc,great to see your photos up here!
Sorry I havent been in touch lately,my computer had a fit.
I'll email you soon and get things going again.

All the best

John
HARRY
Car Model: davrian mk 8 / hillman imp

Post by HARRY » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:46 pm

Seeing everyone's comments about special saloons I just thought I'd put these photos on of Ian Forrest and myself (Harry Simpson) at Knockhill, 1st photo Knockhill paddock 1988, 2 maguire imps together. Ian's car is the ex-Tony Bridge car and my car is the ex-David Enderby car. Both cars are absolutely identical even down to the engines which are full race chessmans and the Jack Knight box and exactly the same gear ratios . Ian always asked me what ratios I was going to put in for certain circuits and I would tell him, he'd go and put them in and he'd wonder why he was running out of revs. This actually happened in 1983 in Pheonix park when we were running Mk8 Davrians.

2nd photo - is Tony Bridge , Ingliston, 1985-1986 . Tony in front coming round arena and Ian chasing him very hard with a third of his left hand splitter hanging off.

3rd photo - me, Harry Simpson, sprint meeting Knockhill coming out of the harepin.

http://s948.photobucket.com/albums/ad330/HARRYSIMMO/
speeddemon
Car Model: None

any spaeframes out racing yet?

Post by speeddemon » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:02 pm

Hi all, been keeping an eye on the thread, thought i would add some more info. Ive just been doing bits on my spaceframe and its nearly complete now, just added some new GAz shocks all around, so just got to purchase a seat and we arnt far of, then its the ARDs test and i will be hopefully in the northern based saloon series, mostly raced at Oulton park

Also we are just in the process of fabricating some roll cages, these are not for circuit racing, but will be useable for road use trackdays possibly some sprints and hillclimbs or just as a cosmetic upgrade. They will consists of front and rear loop, door bars, down bars etc The cost will be aound £295 which will include powder coating. So i dont think they are bad on price.

Later this year we are going to do a full spaceframe chassis to except both imp and bike engine set up as well as fabricated front and rear arms. These will meet MSA regs but a bit more on that later.

Was also wondering whos been out racing and whos ready for there first race.???????
Megapin
Car Model: Suzuki SC100 , Modsports Lotus Elan, Jarvis Stilet

Post by Megapin » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:37 am

Hi,
I will be contesting the NSSCC championship in the SC100 spaceframed car this year. First race at Croft in two weeks.
Just waiting for the stiletto panels from Keith to complete my new spaceframe and hope to have that out mid-season. Both cars Hyabusa engined.
I may also be doing some of the North West rounds at Oulton so may see you there.
Davy.
Modsports Suzuki SC100,
Modsports Spaceframed Stiletto
big J

Post by big J » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:01 am

Harry,many thanks for putting the photos up,I'm afraid the ones you sent me vanished into the computer with some of Les Campbells' and I havent been able to resurrect them yet,still having trouble with it.

Mike,fair play to you,hope it all goes well,both cages and racing.Good luck.

John.
doc knutsen

Post by doc knutsen » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:13 pm

maguire imp wrote:HI

Was it a round tubed floor in the maguire saloon,ex dr david enerby also do you know what chassis number it was to complete my research thankyou again

Keith scott
Sorry, I cannot recall with certainty whether it had round tubes supporting the floor, although the DE2 chassis definitely had rectangular tubes. David's first chassis was DE1.
At one time, despairing of the pace of the 1-litre car (beat 2 out of 3 of the 935 Porsches in the rain at one particularly memorable race) the Swedish authorities wanted to drill a hole in the roll cage to measure the thickness of the steel in the tubing. Now, drilling holes in structural chassis members really isn't too clever, so John Maguire wrote me a letter confirming that the roll cage material confirmed to the RAC MSA standards of the time. They then they made me fit 50kgs of ballast to the car, duly accomplished by bolting on a 5mm sheet of steel under the cockpit section. Not a sump guard, more of a driver guard! But they certainly tried their best to make life difficult for anyone not running with Volvo engines...
Clive Brown
Car Model: Mini, tricycle or shanks pony

Post by Clive Brown » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:27 pm

With regard to the question of wings and spoilers, British Special Saloon regulations did not allow the use of aerofoil rear wings in the three smaller-engined classes (up to 850cc, up to 1000cc, and up to 1300 cc). As Doc Knutsen hints at, David Enderby's Chamois Coupe had two different aerodynamic configurations, both high and low downforce with a different rear spoiler and different front splitter. In addition, the splitters were adjustable, and the rear spoilers had a trim tab adjustable for height. If you look closely at the picture of the car in the queue for scrutineering at Thruxton, you'll see that it has the small 'wing' on- compare and contrast with later pictures of the car in Doc Knutsen's ownership. Essentially, the smaller spoiler (lower drag/downforce) was used at Silverstone, Snetterton, and Thruxton- the higher speed circuits.
Fred Hendy
Car Model: I used to race spacefrme imps back in the 70s

Post by Fred Hendy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:58 am

colin rooney wrote:Well it looks like we now have Rob Mason and Fred Hendy as members so don't be shy boys please feel free to come in with your tales of when you raced and any pictures you may have

col
Ah yes! those were the days,so many great memories,so many laughs those days were truly what club racing is all about. My friend Clive Brown built a demon 850 engine (in his dad's garden shed!!)he had to move his dad's potting plants to make room for the cylinder head !! I remember changing the engine in the street outside Clive's house.
The racing was very competetive I remember swapping paintwork with Peter Day and David Enderby in the Hitachi rounds on more than one occasion,David was really mad at me at Donnington where after many laps of being blocked I used the experience from my Rallycross days to put him into the weeds.

Fred Hendy
Clive Brown
Car Model: Mini, tricycle or shanks pony

Post by Clive Brown » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:58 pm

Naughty Frederick.... you should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself for nerfing that nice Dr. Enderby all those years ago!

I should explain that Fred's actions were actually entirely permissible, because at that time, Enderby was racing a M***! Now, any front-engined front-drive car cornering at racing speeds is very lightly laden on its inside rear wheel, so it takes but the slightest of touches to 'persuade' a Mini driver to move aside to allow the Imp to speed on its way- but please don't try this at home, children.
maguire imp

Post by maguire imp » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:40 pm

lol clive
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:11 pm

This is for bigJohn i bet you will like this its a floor and bulkhead that im cutting up to save just incase i bend my old car hard
Image :D
big J

Post by big J » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:15 pm

Thanks Col! :D
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:43 am

im down to this with the floor so will store it like this and if i do build another car i will then remove the rest of the rear seat pan and front scuttle and have a complete fibreglass top on the car
leeboy44
Car Model: hillman imp

Post by leeboy44 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:48 am

does any1 know where i can get a shell like these there must be molds out there ??

thanks lee
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:24 pm

Try speeddeon on here he said he is making new spaceframes ,as for maguire body panels ,i think keith csott may have moulds ,i can get hold of rawlson front ends and rear wings and soon my glass man is going to do a roof
leeboy44

Post by leeboy44 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:31 pm

thanks for your reply i need all the help i can get lol

i have done a few spaceframe minis but i really want an imp :D
skamanfrank
Car Model: 1972 Imp Super

Post by skamanfrank » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:38 pm

I've spent this year doing a dissertation on the spaceframe chassis of an MCR sports2000 championship car...

The torsional stiffness has gone up by about 25% whilst the mass has been reduced by 20kg (80to 60kg)... think I might have to start work on an imp spaceframe seeing as I've not got any plans for next year yet haha!!
Cheers
Frank
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:52 pm

Go for it frank
leeboy44

Post by leeboy44 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:29 am

big J wrote:And these are some I had saved,but forgot I had them til I saved Les's.I think it was for sale a long time ago,did anyone on here buy it?If so,any progress?

I'm out- :D Over to anybody with a spaceframe-semi spaceframe.Keep em coming
i had the chance of buying this car off a guy in scotland and the time if i can remember he was not very well but he sent me photos to my house and i lost his number i was gutted

he wanted £500

lee
Megapin

Post by Megapin » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:39 am

Lee,
These are two different cars.
The top 4 are a car I had and sold on but the bottom one belongs to Richard Carr who is on this site as RCarr
and I think it's still for sale.
cheers,
DAvy
Modsports Suzuki SC100,
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney » Sat May 01, 2010 6:05 pm

Rawlson panels now ready rear wings £300 a pair and complete front £400 contact Marcus on 07780967692 or me on 07515533742 or PM me via club site

col
leeboy44

Post by leeboy44 » Mon May 03, 2010 6:24 pm

i'm sure it was the car with the number 50 on it ?? i got the photos somewhere i will dig them out

i pm'd keith scott about a fiberglass shell but no reply maybe hes busy :(
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon » Tue May 04, 2010 1:35 pm

We await keith to make some panels, think you gonna be waiting a while, they will cost you £1500 delivered i believe , thats if he ever gets round to make any.

I think he keeps the moulds locked up with the golden fleece and Holy Grail hahahahahahhh collecting dust.

We have had much interest in producing some spaceframes but i feel that the top line for a complete set of panels should be around £1000 max, this is whats holding us back. we arnt gonna make any frames until someone comes up with an affordable complete body mould that will keep the job affordable
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney » Tue May 04, 2010 3:17 pm

speeddemon wrote:
We have had much interest in producing some spaceframes but i feel that the top line for a complete set of panels should be around £1000 max, this is whats holding us back. we arnt gonna make any frames until someone comes up with an affordable complete body mould that will keep the job affordable
So if all thats holding you up is panels why didnt you buy the moulds that came up for sale a month ago or have some made or better still contact the chap who bought said moulds and see if he will sell you panels or build rawlson imps with full spaceframe chassis

col
Megapin

Post by Megapin » Tue May 04, 2010 3:59 pm

I didn't see the maguire panel moulds for sale.
Does anyone know who bought them ? or are they still for sale. ?
Modsports Suzuki SC100,
leeboy44

Post by leeboy44 » Tue May 04, 2010 4:07 pm

i know whos got them 4sale i evan have a number but not getting any calls back i think they maybe sold now
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney » Tue May 04, 2010 4:25 pm

They were in the club magazine did you not see them last month now sold to a chap in germany

col
Meltdown
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by Meltdown » Tue May 04, 2010 5:00 pm

They were in the club magazine did you not see them last month
Yet another good reason for all those non-members to join the Imp Club - What an opportunity to miss!
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon » Wed May 05, 2010 1:53 pm

The moulds were £3k , I believe a Mr Toon had them for sale, i think the club was offered them first but they didnt want to buy. ( But i may be wrong ) This maybe due to the fact that demand is small. I wanted them but it would have been stupid to purchase something that was,nt going to be used and i havnt got that type of money to invest , give a cheap good product then have people cock on the deal.

Colin, we had many people interested but like anything else when you tell them price, the idea goes on the back burner, dreams i supose, its a great idea and people like the idea of spacefrmaes but when it comes to partying with the hard earned tango denero, thats when it all goes flat.

Im concentrating on preping one chassis at the moment and will take it from there.

Good luck all.
maguire imp

Post by maguire imp » Sat May 15, 2010 5:40 pm

Thers alot of judges in this forum,to be honest i couldnt care what anyone thinks of the prices or posting i do,ifs yous dont want me on the tread then let it be that my name be removed
There isnt many people that have cars or parts such as mine,so maybe a little manners would be helpful
Then i might feel like helping more
steve g
Car Model: centaur mk1

Post by steve g » Sun May 30, 2010 10:08 pm

the prices of the panels are bl***y cheap and look good, i've had a bit of experience with grp and know how much time and effort it takes to get the moulds right. good work

Post by #13 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:49 pm

Shame this thread came to abit of a sour end! I was really enjoying it...how bout a group hug and move on?? :D
leeboy44

Post by leeboy44 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:12 pm

it has most definately not come to the end my old chap :)
me and 2 others have some plans up our sleeve's we will keep you posted very soon :D

lee

www.spaceframecars.co.uk

Post by #13 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:39 pm

leeboy44 wrote:it has most definately not come to the end my old chap :)
me and 2 others have some plans up our sleeve's we will keep you posted very soon :D

lee

http://www.spaceframecars.co.uk

superb leeboy44! :D mines about a million miles off at the moment
leeboy44

Post by leeboy44 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:59 pm

[quote="speeddemon"]Tim duffy does have another set of moulds, ive spoken to him last week before this thread was opened, the moulds arnt in that much use, but i will keep this post updated if i here any news.

ive just come off the phone to tim, we have a deal going ive just ordered 2 jarvis shells 1 for me and 1 for another day/for sale at the same price. he is getting back to me with a email on a price and i will be happy to show anyone who whats the shell the email i dont rip anyone off but i will want extra cash if i've got to pack it up to ship it off (i dont think thats a bad deal) i will only charge for any parts/wood to make the box etc etc.

i also make spaceframes with CDS/T45 tube anyone is more then welcome to ask for prices but i cant stand time wasters ive had a guts full of them!!

i have also spoken to MR scott about a shell and done a deal with hime for 1 but thats not for sale its for me

tim will be emailing me after the weekend with the prices he can do me 50 but the price is what it is ( his words not mine )

i play very fair and i only do all this for my brother if i left it to him nothing will be done.
the prices on the spaceframes we do are very good but the second anyone piss's me off then bye bye , im not being funny about this but ive had 3 guys mess me about in the last 3/4 weeks i dont name names as i dont feel its got anything to do with anyone else but if i do find that the same guy has gone to someone else that i know then i will be passing that info on to them.

feel free to look at my website www.spaceframecars.co.uk every one is welcome

like i said i play fair so i will tell you this, ive not had anything to do with imps be4 but my brother has so any questions will need to be passed on to him be4 i get back to anyone , but for the spaceframeing i can tell you the same as him

ive also found a great guy with a lot of help to give and thats MR speeddemon hell of a nice guy and from what i can see he will help anyone more like him we need (im sure there is many more on this site but ive not had the time to find them yet) but that will change

if anyone is unhappy with any of this ive put here then im sorry but i speak my mind and cant stand time wasters im far to busy for that

thanks guys

lee