Spaceframe Imps

Information / Questions and Discussion -
Imps and Imp based Motorsport stuff from the olden days and current
speeddemon
Club Member: No
Car Model: None

Re: Spaceframe Imps

Post by speeddemon » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:15 pm

well followers of this thread, tomorow i will hopefully be crackng my engine into life if all goes to plan, everything now back together , so we will see how it goes.

Just fitted my last bit of water system with similer type samco hose

just need fresh seat, tyres and we are nearly there. :)
Last edited by speeddemon on Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
colin rooney
Club Member: Yes

Post by colin rooney » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:10 am

check out my new front
les998
Car Model: Ginetta G15, Maguire Stiletto

Post by les998 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:53 pm

Hi Colin,

That looks very nice, and looks like it is very good quality as well. :D

Les.
big J
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto

Post by big J » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:08 am

Looking good indeed.

Crack on lads!
speeddemon
Car Model: None

Post by speeddemon » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:52 pm

well, the motor is up and running and its sweet as a nut, absolute chuffed to bits, just sent off my shockers for some fresh new ones from GAZ and once we have them we arnt far off.

Just weighed the car and it comes in at 468 kilos, its a bit heavier than i thought but next years new chassis will be ultra light and mega strong.

One of the lads not far from me is interested in building a chassis so i will get him in a head lock and hopefully push on later this year with a new build.

Still loking for some sensible priced panels. NO chance of that though hahahahahahha :)
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:22 pm

Mike glad to hear your engine is running good, i would think a lot of your weight is in the suspension arms at 468kg its not to bad

col
SimonBenoy
Car Model: 68 Stiletto, 72 G15, 67 race Imp, 3 projects

Post by SimonBenoy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:32 pm

Mine was 360kg in sprint/hillclimb spec - this included plastic windscreen. It would have been quite a bit more if upgraded to race spec. No extinguisher, no charging system, only 1 operational door etc.

Cheers - Simon
GJBM

Post by GJBM » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:22 am

I have recently bought the IMP/Stilleto from the UK, and imported it to South Africa for restoration earlier this year. It is built around MRE (ie early Tiga) suspension. It was last hillclimbed in the Channel Islands apparently, and fitted with a Pinto. The chassis is stamped MC 002 just inside the driver's door. Any information on the constructer and the car's history would be much appreciated. You can email me directly if you wish: millsg@eoson.co.za

If someone can tell me how to post pictures, I will gladly do so.

Many thanks.

[album][/album]
GJBM

Post by GJBM » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:08 pm

Herewith the photos as described above. Pls also note the names of the last owner/driver/mechanic.
Clive Brown
Car Model: Mini, tricycle or shanks pony

Post by Clive Brown » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:14 pm

SimonBenoy wrote:Mine was 360kg in sprint/hillclimb spec - this included plastic windscreen. It would have been quite a bit more if upgraded to race spec. No extinguisher, no charging system, only 1 operational door etc.

Cheers - Simon
But that's virtually seven hundredweight dead. Enderby's first Maguire car was a saloon built from T45 tube; it flexed like b***ery because the tube was too thin, and the best thing that ever happened to it was when it got written off at Thruxton- an accident attributed to chassis flex! That car weighed eight hundredweight and four pounds.

Its replacement, a coupe, was built from the usual T25, and went eight hundredweight 40lbs. Yes, it had a fire extinguisher, probably a four gallon fuel tank, and a water system that would maintain a constant temperature for a race distance- but 64kg heavier than your car? You may be right- I may be crazy- but this sounds odd to me!
SimonBenoy
Car Model: 68 Stiletto, 72 G15, 67 race Imp, 3 projects

Post by SimonBenoy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 pm

Clive

Definitely correct - in fact it was only 350kg before I added the weber alpha stuff and fuel injection, the fuel tank was very small and aluminium, the floor wasn't much thicker than baco foil, all the wishbones and trailing arms had been lightened, the steering arms are tubuler - someone had put a lot of effort into it. It did have a normal car battery though! So with a race battery and lighter brakes, it would have been really light.

But I would not have raced it on the circuit without a fair bit of work - it was too softly sprung but it was quick - 0-100 in 13.5 secs, but only geared for 110 top speed.

Cheers - Simon
maguire imp
Car Model: maguire spaceframed imp

Post by maguire imp » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:04 pm

MC 002 was my car at one point,it needs a little bit of tlc,im sure it will get it,did you get the engine-gearbox and rims with it,a guy in uk bought it off me before christmas,i was the man that bought it from channell isle etc,what do you like to know about it

Keith
big J

Post by big J » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:39 am

Clive Brown wrote:
SimonBenoy wrote:Mine was 360kg in sprint/hillclimb spec - this included plastic windscreen. It would have been quite a bit more if upgraded to race spec. No extinguisher, no charging system, only 1 operational door etc.

Cheers - Simon
But that's virtually seven hundredweight dead. Enderby's first Maguire car was a saloon built from T45 tube; it flexed like b***ery because the tube was too thin, and the best thing that ever happened to it was when it got written off at Thruxton- an accident attributed to chassis flex! That car weighed eight hundredweight and four pounds.

Its replacement, a coupe, was built from the usual T25, and went eight hundredweight 40lbs. Yes, it had a fire extinguisher, probably a four gallon fuel tank, and a water system that would maintain a constant temperature for a race distance- but 64kg heavier than your car? You may be right- I may be crazy- but this sounds odd to me!
Clive,I believe thats the Rawlson on page 5 or 6 or something I photographed now owned by Alan Kessie.
GJBM

Post by GJBM » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:47 am

Keith Many thanks for the quick reply. I got the gearbox with it, but no engine and rims. The latter I have sourced from elsewhere (Revolutions). I have the following questions:

1. Who built the car (ie who is/was MC?), and where and when was it constructed?
2. Has it always run a Pinto? If not, what did it run?
3. Was the basis of the car a Tiga?
4. Is the tank inside the car the fuel tank?
5. Do you know the car's competition history?

Looking forward to your reply.

Greg
maguire imp
Car Model: maguire spaceframed imp

Post by maguire imp » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:39 pm

The car was originally a f4 car single seater,it isnt unlike a car in previous post in this forum page 10 ish i think,mc if you look at your rear panels you will find the answer to your question,i have a log boo somewere for the car,when purchased it was running but i was hit hard as i was importing it to the uk again,it had a set of revolution wheel split rims when i got it,it also had ford capri type wheels to take it to have more ground clearance,it had a 2.1cc swindon racing pinto engine modified head,on twin 45's,24 volt starting,the engine is still used in ireland in a track/rallycross car it puduced 185 bhp approx,it was in the channel isles for many years,also hewland type transaxle which should be servicable,how much did you pay for the car,if you dont want to say that is ok
The tank is in the chassis at lhs
Keith scott
GJBM

Post by GJBM » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:26 am

Many thanks. Very helpful. I would be most grateful if you could mail me the logbook if you find it: PO Box 61631, Marshalltown 2107, South Africa. I got the car very reasonably, though as mentioned it was without wheels and the engine though with the gearbox. All best, Greg
Clive Brown

Post by Clive Brown » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:08 pm

big J wrote:
Clive Brown wrote:

Cheers - Simon

Clive,I believe thats the Rawlson on page 5 or 6 or something I photographed now owned by Alan Kessie.
I must be missing the point here.... how does a Rawlson come into this! I'll look for the pictures anyway....
Clive Brown

Post by Clive Brown » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:19 pm

big J wrote:My thanks to Alan and all the lads at ASK Racing,they couldnt have been nicer.

Alan is keen to learn of any history of the car.I know it was owned and driven by a few lads on here,so if anyone has any history,anecdotes,anything at all,I'd be only too happy to pass any details on.
If that is a Rawlson car it is most likely to be the ex-Fred Hendy, ex-Peter Halls car.
Turboimp
Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Sport Turbocharged in 1983 + Clan

Post by Turboimp » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:02 pm

some video of these cars and other cars in action , from the Castle Combe Special GT Championship of the early 1990's.
which i haven't seen before although i was there in the flesh ! ..For me , apart from the Bevan Imp era probably the best Imp racing heyday , racing on the old circuit , second fastest in the country to Thruxton . Brian cutting , Phil Lomas , George Douglas , Earling Jensen etc amongst some very powerful 400 - 500 bhp cars . Brian cutting ( and later his sold imp ) won the overall Special GT Championship about 4 times in the early 1990's .
Clive Brown

Post by Clive Brown » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:32 pm

To me, the Bevan Imp era was not that great from a racing point-of-view, simply because George's car was that much better than anything up against it, and Bill McGovern was a better driver than any of his competitors. George's cars weren't magic, but they were well-built and meticulously prepared, and you can only race what you're up against.

I think the best era was the early to mid eighties, with Cutting, Mannion, and the late Barry Reece in good Maguires, Brian Prebble in his self-built spaceframe, Ginger's Kitten and Enderby's Karmann Ghia, and later on Rob Mason, who I rate as the best driver of them all, in Ernie Wood's car. Add Bill McGovern's occasional forays in a Maguire, and Tony Bridge's car, and I can't think of a better time.
Bevan IMP
Car Model: Bevan IMP Group 2

Post by Bevan IMP » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:21 pm

Hi Clive,

Did you notice that Rob Mason is a member of the forum. If you keep singing his praises he might even post something...!!

He e-mailed me to say hello.

The magic was never in the cars, it was in the old sheds at the bottom of the garden !!!

Jonathan
Clive Brown

Post by Clive Brown » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:57 pm

Yo Johnathan! Shed power!

By the way, you should have your stickies upon the pattern exhaust by now....
Bevan IMP
Car Model: Bevan IMP Group 2

Post by Bevan IMP » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:34 pm

Many thanks for the exhaust,

Why is the tail pipe bending around, The orignal Bevan Imp would have been a straight pipe ?

Jonathan
Clive Brown

Post by Clive Brown » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:49 pm

Ignore the tailpipe; you're meant to copy it up to the two-into-one collector only! From then on, it's a straight pipe, unless you raise the engine and have to put an offset into the tailpipe to clear the rear body crossmember.

Regards

Clive
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:25 pm

Well it looks like we now have Rob Mason and Fred Hendy as members so don't be shy boys please feel free to come in with your tales of when you raced and any pictures you may have

col
big J

Post by big J » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:12 pm

Oh yes.
We've got some good pictures,we need the stories.

And more pictures. :lol:
Clive Brown

Post by Clive Brown » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:56 pm

The two photographers who provided the best coverage of Club/National motorsport at the time were Jeff Bloxham (with whom I went to school) and John Gaisford. I believe that the portfolios of both might well have been sold on. Either would be a treasure trove of the golden era of Imp racing.

I'm now in touch with both Rob Mason and Fred Hendy, and hope that both of them will be able to fill in some of the gaps in my memory.

By the way, one of the best exponents of the 850cc Imp was Roger Gill, who came from Orpington (George Bevan territory!) but was a Hartwell customer. His car is pictured, but not accredited, on a picture taken at Thruxton that is to be found elsewhere on this thread.
Clive Brown

Post by Clive Brown » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:08 pm

big J wrote:Found some pics on ten/tenths forum :)
****post edited to include comment from Kevan McLurg and myself
Thruxton,pale green Maguire Stiletto is Barry Reece,later to suffer from chronic injury from which he would never properly recover,passed away shortly after.(I guess that the vids I posted before were some kind of memorial event.)****
Pale yellow car in Thruxton shots is Roger Gill's!
big J

Post by big J » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:53 pm

Thanks Clive,I'll go back and insert his name.
GJBM

Post by GJBM » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:00 am

I am looking to get hold of John Dewing who reputedly built the Imp special saloon that I am rebuilding in Johannesburg, South Africa. It is a MRE/Tiga based car. Mr Dewing sold the car to Martyn Cohu.

Greg Mills
millsg@eoson.co.za
Clive Brown

Post by Clive Brown » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:17 pm

John Dewing was I believe from the Maidstone area of Kent, and had some connections with a company called MAK Engineering, whose logos were carried on some of his cars. His car his the red #85 that gets stuck on a bank at Lydden in heat 2 of the Barry Reece Trophy video.
doc knutsen
Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Bevan replica

Post by doc knutsen » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:19 am

Some pics from my years of racing the ex-Enderby Maguire Chamois coupe were finally scanned yesterday, here's a sample( if my cut-and-paste technique works out, that is)
:Image
It is David's car, nicknamed Black Beauty, at Thruxton in 1981. David is soothing his pre-scrutineering nerves by talking to Brian Cutting.
Last edited by doc knutsen on Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
doc knutsen

Post by doc knutsen » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:27 am

Ok, that seems to work, so here are some more:Image
This is Maguire Stilletto MS2, built by my Swedish friend Mats Warg, and featuring a dry-sump engine built by Jim Knifton of Loughborough. Note the megaphone tailpipe...and no silencers in those days. It sounded absolutely wonderful!
Last edited by doc knutsen on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doc knutsen

Post by doc knutsen » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:31 am

Pat Mannion's Revolution Wheels Maguire Stilletto
doc knutsen

Post by doc knutsen » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:41 am

Here is a pic of my my car, the ex-Enderby Chamois Coupe, after a certain amount of development. The radiator seemed to weight a ton, and was replaced by a March F3 rad on a new subframe. Also, I mounted a rear aerofoil from an FF2000 which worked well.Image
The car looked good in bright colours, I think. My trad signal yellow sets the tiny racer off really well, non?
doc knutsen

Post by doc knutsen » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:50 am

Just to emphasize the size of the Maguire coupes:Image
My apologies for the RH part of the images being cut off, dunno why this occurs.
doc knutsen

Post by doc knutsen » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Seen at a rainy Kinnekulle in Sweden, featuring David Enderby's "hi downforce" engine cover. The car proved quicker in a straight line, and no less well balanced in the corners, with the single-seater rear aerofoil I fitted later.
doc knutsen

Post by doc knutsen » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:32 pm

The car in its initial guise, having had a respray in BRG with the Norwegian national colours on its nose. The original Enderby wings and nose section still in place.
Last edited by doc knutsen on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doc knutsen

Post by doc knutsen » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:36 pm

From the Hartwell workshop in late 1979, Ray Payne to the right.
doc knutsen

Post by doc knutsen » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:38 pm

My car with Mats' Maguire Stilletto to the right. Mats never did get to give the car a coat of paint, its livery being courtesy of whatever gel coat was available at the time!