Dyno print out from New Zealand

Information / Questions and Discussion -
Imps and Imp based Motorsport stuff from the olden days and current
Lotus-e-Clan
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Re: Dyno print out from New Zealand

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:36 am

I don't know a lot about it I'm afraid. I've been using the GB72 for a few years and only a few weeks ago found out about the GB72 timing data from a Club mate. Several sources claim Bevan had a close working relationship with Piper so the continued production of the cam by Piper is not surprising given George Bevans' success in the seventies. I guess the "BP" prefix of the BP320 probably stands for Bevan-Piper? The GB72 was probably originally intended to time in @ 50/72/72/50.

What I like about the cam is the tractability..especially on my set-up anyway (high comp ratio helps a lot). The absolute top end BHPis down on an R23 for sure. But as the Ferrari boss once famously said "Torque wins races, BHP sells cars". Also George reckoned the secret to his success was gear ratio selection for the particular circuit so it's likely he changed the cam to suit the circuit also.
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
pre65racer
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto race car

Re: Dyno print out from New Zealand

Post by pre65racer » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:24 pm

I think your comments are spot on. There is no magic camshaft, it is all about set up and the driver being able to getting the best out of the car. Most reasonably capable drivers will go faster with more torque from something like the BP320 and only the very best will go faster with the R23 and agreed they will have to change ratios on some circuits.

Its good to know these bits of information on cams and what was going on in the early seventies as during the period this was all cutting edge and top secret.