Oulton Park Gold Cup

Information / Questions and Discussion -
Imps and Imp based Motorsport stuff from the olden days and current
TVRTasmin
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: '68 Californian. 930 Cashmore Twin SU's

Oulton Park Gold Cup

Post by TVRTasmin » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:10 pm

Just a few pics of Imps today (Monday) in Historic Saloons.
limjamrace

Re: Oulton Park Gold Cup

Post by limjamrace » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:17 pm

Nice one Ian...Is it me or are the spectators obvivious to the racing!

How about the TVR scene!
TVRTasmin

Post by TVRTasmin » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:34 pm

I think they are looking at cars coming round Old Hall onto the Avenue where my pics are.

The TVR scene is getting stronger in a racing sense. More cars are entering different events. The Griffith won the Guards Trophy GTSR race convincingly.
A Lotus Elan following at the race start lost a wheel going down Denton's into Cascades. Very impressive. I have some short video footage on my digi camera but haven't worked out how to upload it yet. :?

If you mean my TVR scene, then lets hope i get at least one of them back on the road/circuit soon. :wink:
chris d
Car Model: stella sunbeam stiletto.crusty 75 sunbeam sport

Post by chris d » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:14 pm

nice pics ian
looks like the weather was ok
obviously the fans are not interested in the little imps
cheers chris d
stella sunbeam stiletto.finished and enjoying
libby 75 imp deluxe.ongoing.
TVRTasmin

Post by TVRTasmin » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:17 pm

I think they were watching the next Imp behind :lol:

Anyway after much uploading time i think i have the vid. Here goes;

Last edited by TVRTasmin on Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ChrisBenoy
Car Model: Clan 'E' 998

Post by ChrisBenoy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:26 pm

They all finished as well. Which is nice.
Gerry Richards
Car Model: Davrian mk4

Post by Gerry Richards » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:38 am

Another great saloon car race with, as Chris says, all four Imps completing the whole 40 minutes intact. Well done to Simon for staying cool after his car's wiring loom burnt itself out at the end of practice, and driving a well-judged race with falling oil pressure. Also, Andy Jones was in his usual crowd-pleasing form and made great progress following an early visit to the grass on lap 1.

Check out this page on a forum which I spend too much time on - scroll down to posting number 52 from Simon Arron, former editor of both Motor Sport and Motoring News (as it was back then). There are three photos featuring Imps, plus a mention of our Andy's exploits in a caption...

http://forums.autosport.com/showthread. ... genumber=2

Cheers

Gerry
TVRTasmin

Post by TVRTasmin » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:59 pm

Finally sorted the vid link above. :)
SimonBenoy
Car Model: 68 Stiletto, 72 G15, 67 race Imp, 3 projects

Post by SimonBenoy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:22 pm

Not quite the relaxed weekend that I had hoped for. I got the engine back in and fired up on the Saturday after a broken crank last time out at Pembury. The old crank had been living on borrowed time where it had been welded and cross drilled many years ago.

I had to run it in in practice and then try to put in a better qualifying time at the end - unfortunately there was a BMW spun off at Cascades for the last 2 laps, so my time wasn't what I had hoped for. Then as I returned to the pits, the car filled with smoke. Turned everything off, jumped out and took off the engine cover to blow out the flames coming from the alternator before the competitor who had rushed over with an extinguisher used it.

Back to the paddock to survey the damage - the wiring was a mess. But there was very soon a group of people around the car asking how they could help. 'Impspeed' Ron and Bob 'spares' Allan set to removing the alternator which was replaced by the one off Kimberley's road car, once the pulley had been swapped. And the oil pressure pipe was disconnected and blanked off due to the pipe having melted. Offers of wiring and an alternator came from other Impers and other competitors - what great clubs and members these are.

Chris and I set to cleaning up the loom - we removed all the old tape and examined the wiring. One of the 2 heavy duty wires from the kill switch to the alternator was completely bare and had melted some insulation on adjacent wires. Mostly these were taped up with insulation tape and some shortish sections which were more badly damaged were replaced. And, thanks to Darren from Chesterfield, we had some replacement heavy duty wire for the alternator. After testing, all seemed OK. And with just a few minutes to spare, fuel was added and off we went.

On the green flag lap, I realised that the clutch wasn't actually working very well and it was a 40 minute race - oo err. Red lights out and whizz off at usual rate but then it wouldn't go into 2nd - not a good omen, but I soon realised that after 4 or 5 pumps on the clutch pedal, it worked better. By now I was back to 3rd in class which became 2nd when Andy Jones went gardening briefly.... I was beginning to get the hang of changing gear - start pumping the clutch as soon as I start braking and then change gear late with a blip on the throttle - it worked most times but a couple of times it didn't and I lost places until I got going again - very frustrating after passing a 1300 Mini. I managed to get a run on Steve Platts, out for the first time with HRSR this year and held off a recovering Andy Jones for a few laps until another missed gear let him through. Also by now, my oil low pressure warning light was flashing on under heavy braking and fast left handers but without a gauge, I just took it easy.
After my pit stop, I got some clear track for a few laps and went a bit better - caught up the Mini again just as the chequered flag came out. And I had overtaken Andy during the pit stops when Martin Bramwell took over the 86 car to get a class win.

Thanks to all who helped me to get out in the race - I couldn't have done it without you all!
ChrisBenoy
Car Model: Clan 'E' 998

Post by ChrisBenoy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:51 pm

There must be people who turn up in the morning, put some fuel in, do practice, do another couple of little jobs, race and then go home, all without any serious problems.

Ah well, suppose its something to do =p.
Andy Hillman
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by Andy Hillman » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:42 pm

Gold cup weekend,a great day for the Hillmans! well done to simon for a well deserved win,thought some of you guys might be interested in seeing me make a hash of the start and then cascades through my incar camera. Just type in ''andy jones incar'' on you tube,there are 2 videos of 2mins each i have another 8 to upload hopefully by weekend.
Anyway after the first lap mahem we started regaining lost places, after 22mins i handed over to Martin Bramwell [Grasshopper] who drove a steady race bringing the car home safely second place in class. Many thanks to all the people who have helped me to get the car back out again, already looking forward to Donnington park.
sonic.boom
Car Model: 1970 super imp convertable & 1968 californian

Post by sonic.boom » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:26 pm

hiya andy ure not from n.wales r.ya?-simon e.???????
Ive either sat on a cottage pie.....or that last fart wasnt dry
Andy Hillman
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by Andy Hillman » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:21 pm

hi simon, no am from sunny manchester!
sonic.boom
Car Model: 1970 super imp convertable & 1968 californian

Post by sonic.boom » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:56 pm

fair enough andy....all the best -simon
Ive either sat on a cottage pie.....or that last fart wasnt dry
simon hulse
Car Model: ginetta g15

Post by simon hulse » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:28 am

It was Richard Simpson from sheffield that gave you the wire Simon, he was there with his dad doing the rally demo in the Skoda, Thanks Rich for taking us round. I have also sussed out how too upload video, take a look at Andy on a mission http://s457.photobucket.com/albums/qq296/simonhulse/
SimonBenoy
Car Model: 68 Stiletto, 72 G15, 67 race Imp, 3 projects

Post by SimonBenoy » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:26 pm

Ah - then thanks to Richard - most helpful.

As for Andy, I reckon all those silencers on the back made it tail happy!