Racewear brands and recommendations

Information / Questions and Discussion -
Imps and Imp based Motorsport stuff from the olden days and current

Racewear brands and recommendations

Postby skamanfrank » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:39 pm

Hi all,

Hopefully next year will be my first in motorsport as a driver.... after spending in particular this year scrubbing tyres, changing wheels and general pit support for others, I can't resist any longer and wish to do some driving in 2017.

So, before buying anything I will be visiting a suitable, reputable shop (probably GPR at Silverstone) and trying lots of things on, making sure they fit and are comfortable but I am interested in any recommendations some of our active motorsport bods might have- particularly in terms of longevity and quality. Trying something on in a shop will tell me whether it fits and is suitable, but will not tell me whether something is likely to fall apart after half a season. I have seen gloves with holes worn through pretty quickly and suits with stitching/seams falling apart.... this is something I wish to avoid!

Any recommendations on brands that produce good quality items and those that don't? The poor quality suit I mentioned was an Alpine Stars one and was eventually sent back and replaced with an OMP one....

Cheers all
Cheers
Frank
skamanfrank

Club Member: No
Car Model: 1972 Imp Super

Re: Racewear brands and recommendations

Postby benwick3 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:21 pm

Frank,

I've had no trouble with Sparco suits etc over the years. Wear has been good and I've found that I've only needed to replace them when the spec changes. Only problem with all racing suits is they have a tendency to shrink over the close season! Make sure you allow for growing room when buying.

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
benwick3

Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Race Clan Crusader x 2

Postby skamanfrank » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:33 pm

That's a good start, thank you Pete!
Cheers
Frank
skamanfrank

Postby moose » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:32 pm

i have also had good use out of Sparco suits.
Regards Moose
Century Autosport
moose

Car Model: rally imp

Postby IMPerative » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:04 am

racing suits is they have a tendency to shrink over the close season!

All my clothes do that!
IMPerative - must have one
Aussie MKIII
IMPerative

Car Model: Aussie Imp MkIII

Postby pubcrawler » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:01 am

benwick3 wrote:Only problem with all racing suits is they have a tendency to shrink over the close season!
Pete Richards

I found that too, so to compensate I then spent more on the car to make it lighter :lol: :lol:
Owner of the Green Heartbeat Imp from Aidensfield!
Martin Parkes.
pubcrawler

Car Model: 1965 Hillman Imp, 1971 Austin Healey Sprite MkIV

Postby colin rooney » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:05 pm

Your best bet is to go to the race car show in january at NEC and get your kit there my suit is AWS got it a bit long in the legs because when you get in the car the suit creeps up your leg as everyone else has said get a suit a bit bigger than what you would think is a nice snug fit , 1 of the biggest problems with race gear is its not ment to be worn all day as in the suit and boots so as soon as i get out of the car i change back to normal clothes plus its stops you looking like a knob walking around the paddock as a would be F1 star :lol: , i have a bell helment very comfortable , i need to get a neck device and haven spoken to a few blokes i know who race most are not keeks on the hans device they all say go for the simpson hybrid sport ,yes its twice the money but you dont have all this crap of seat angle and you can use the simpsom in a saloon or a single seater

col
colin rooney

Postby skamanfrank » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:34 pm

Cheers Col.

I think my favourite cases of race suit knobheads are:
1) The guy at the Travel lodge down the road from Donnington wearing his race suit at breakfast on the Sunday AM.
2) The guy in his clio 172 driving home from Loton Park hillclimb in his race suit
:lol:

Plan is to goto Autosport in Jan... going to book the day off and go on Thurs/Fri so that there fewer of those pesky people around.
Keen to get a suit that fits well and is comfortable (so may get the suit from a shop before Autosport- less busy, more space etc) as we'll hopefully be doing some endurance stuff.
Cheers
Frank
skamanfrank

Postby colin rooney » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:21 pm

I bought my helmet at autosport . demon tweeks was i thnk £385 plus vat bit unhelpfull so went across to gp racewear he sold both jim mc and i the same helmet demons had for £380 no vat and the couriered it to house free

col
colin rooney

Postby alan c ramsay » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:12 pm

If you have an MSA licence, you can get into the Autosport Show Trade Days on Thursday and Friday for £23.

You need to register here.......

https://www.livebuzzreg.co.uk/2017/asi17/

.....and your code is just your MSA licence number.

I'll be there on Thursday. Anyone else ?

As for your original question.....if your proposed motorsport Class requires a HANS device, I would recommend buying only after having tried it out with the helmet and car seat you will use. If the HANS angle is not correct, it can push your helmet forward with coming in contact with the seat headrest.

Having used one for a season now, I would say it is "a good thing", although it is a bit of a pain in the neck (haha...) when you have to reverse or look right round as you will only have about 170-degree angle of view, what with the straps.
Slainte, Alan
alan c ramsay

Car Model: Sunbeam Sport, Hillman x3, Clan, Chrade spaceframe

Postby knocker » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:50 am

Race Retro is also a good show for race gear it's not as far as Autosport well that's if you don't live in Birmingham!, also not £5 to park your car!!
25/27 February worth a look.
Robert Knox
3 Imps
3 Ginetta's
knocker

Car Model: 3 Spaceframe imps 3 ginetta's

Postby alan c ramsay » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:58 am

knocker wrote:Race Retro is also a good show for race gear it's not as far as Autosport well that's if you don't live in Birmingham!, also not £5 to park your car!!
25/27 February worth a look.

The NEC is £12 parking now ! Although, there are ways round that.........
Slainte, Alan
alan c ramsay

Car Model: Sunbeam Sport, Hillman x3, Clan, Chrade spaceframe

Return to Motorsport Forum